The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody tried Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM lens on D800?

DaveS

I also have the EOS version and am using it on the 5DIII, so I know this is the wrong post. But.... I wanted to say how much I like this lens and it's super plane of sharp focus at 1.4 and short distances.

The main thing that is standing out for me is how the sharp plane of focus wanders across the image from side to side and stays sharp right to the edges. What I mean is I am focusing on a 3D subject, typically near the center, but when I look at the image at 100%, I see the plane of focus very clear and very sharp following the contours of the image right to each edge, where I didn't expect it. I have the Noct F1 and it loses focus way before it reaches the edges, so this is a new thing for me.

Pretty cool.

(It is hard to show without have a large 100% image, so I didn't attach a photo, if I find one that easily shows it smaller, I will post)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm thinking about getting one. Not sure I could get one in time for a big gig on the 5th though. But it does look very good.

Dan Bellyk

Guy I got an email from B&H that the item was still backordered and when I talked to them on the phone I was 20th on the list

bensonga

I'm waiting for my local dealer (Stewarts Photo) to get the Nikon version in stock. I picked up the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM few days ago.....so far, it looks very good. Anxious to get my hands on the 35/1.4 next.

Gary

pophoto

Again, I'm another EF lens user and not Nikon anymore! I picked up a bunch of Sigma lenses in the past and what a waste of time, both in batch variance, and feel or quality in general.

Sigma released the new set of A1 lenses hoping to change all and and I thought I'll give it a go, if not then a refund and back to B&H it goes!

I have to say I am completely smitten with the lens. Despite it not being my focal length of choice, I have to admit it is slowly changing together with the use of the RX1. I will go as far to say, even if Canon releases a superior replacement to their 35mm L, it won't really matter to me. Main highlights for me: sharp, fast, accurate AF, micro contrast and bokeh. Okay it's not weather sealed, but I don't shoot in the rain! Oh it is seriously well built and looks sexy, but time will tell if it is reliable.

I did have to set AF micro adjustment, which I feel is quite reasonable, but once set, it has been reliable and focus spot on. I am interested if the USB dock could actually zero that.

zoomstop

Yes, I love it.

I am a bit spoiled with my gear. I shoot with a Leica S2 + four lenses, Leica M9 + 3 lenses and a Nikon D4 with the usual 24-70mm, 70-200mm VRII, 50mm f/1.4 G and 85mm f/1.4 G. Just recently I thought I try out the Nikon D800E and at the same time, I wanted to pickup the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G but my local dealer did not have anything in stock. I wanted a 35mm for a day trip to Luray Caverns in Virginia. So I thought it would not hurt to pickup the Sigma, just to try it out.

Well, I grabbed the lens, put it on the camera and headed out. In the evening upon my return, I loaded the images on Lightroom and I was in shock! I could not believe what I was seeing before me. I am used to good glass for Leica and I was shocked how good this lens rendered on the D800E sensor.

It has gotten so bad that I have not picked up my Leica's in 2 weeks. I grabbed the D800E and the Sigma 35 and I am out.

This is probably one of my favorite lenses now. Pick one up and you well see.

Fast silent focus, tack sharp, great bokeh and a great price. Just to let you know my S 35mm glass cost me $7K, my M 35mm Summilux cost me $4K and this Sigma cost me $900 and I find myself enjoying the hell out of it.

Just pick one up and see.

[/url]
DM (2 of 2) by David Miskinyar, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
DM (1 of 2) by David Miskinyar, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
The Cathedral by David Miskinyar, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
Untitled by David Miskinyar, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
The Cave! by David Miskinyar, on Flickr[/IMG]