The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24-120 Thoughts

pesto

I am in the process of trimming down my Nikon kit and am trying to make some buy/sell decisions. I have the 24-70 which I find myself using most of the time with this system and rarely reaching for the 70-200 VR II and the 85 1.4G almost never. My thoughts are leaning toward selling the three of them and replacing them with the 24-120. My hesitation centers around the spotty reputation that this lens appears to carry despite the fact that there are some users here of this lens whose opinion I respect. My question is simply how much of this is mere snobbery, for want of a less inflammatory term, and "me too"ism and how much of it should one heed or is this a matter of sample variation? I would not use this lens for architectural work but do tend to be rather demanding in terms of contrast and overall sharpness. It would be mounted on a D800e.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I love mine. It is not the sharpest lens in my stable, but it is good all the way through the range -- a very dang convenient range I might add -- and it is reasonably sized. It is my main travel lens.

This shot was done with it this summer -- hand-held at 1/20th around f8:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steen: No, I have not had the experience with mine that Tim is having with all of his. I bought mine in the US from a local dealer. Perhaps Tim's UK selections all came from the same bad batch.

emr: Yes, that is the round tower in Copenhagen.

Paul2660

I seem to have more vignetting issues with my 24-120 than other lenses. I noticed in Tim's sample image there was a good bit of vignetting showing. Sometimes the amounts are enough that Capture One or Lr can't seem to fix it without damage to the file. I have considered trying a LCC shot where I can and see if that helps in Capture one.

Otherwise as already mentioned a good all round of lens.

Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like a little vignette in most images, so it doesn't bother me at all -- nor have I noticed any excessive amount with my copy. FWIW, I now pretty much leave the 24-120 welded to my regular D800 body, and then swap my other lenses around on the E body. The exception is for people/portraits, where I slightly prefer the regular D800 with whatever other lens, usually the 105DC or 70-200/2.8.

An interesting lens to use as it is at the same time probably the least-performing technically, yet the most versatile lens in my bag --- and I like the images it produces which I guess is what really counts at the end of the day! :)

pesto

Thanks to all who have responded to my question. I find that my 24-70 has become my default lens on my D800E and while I would like to have a bit more reach at times, the image quality is truly excellent if I don't mess things up, especially for a zoom. So I believe that I shall stay put and just be sure to cary my 105 along just in case.
Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Douglas Benson