The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor about a possible APS-C mirrorless

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Vivek.
The interesting part is the mount.

I do believe that we will in the coming years see
- mechanical shutters being replaced by electronic shutters
- mirrorbased pentaprism finders being replaced by electronic viewfinders
- and maybe phase detection autofocus replaced by contrast detection autofocus, or maybe a combination of both for either speed or accuracy respectively

But apart from that I don't think it is all that clear exactly what the system of tomorrow will look like, that can replace the classic DSLR systems.
I guess the answer lies in the optical challenges.
E.g. what flange-to-sensor distance does it take to build a full alternative system of lenses, from ultra wides, over macros and tilt/shift lenses, and to exotic ultra tele lenses (without adapter based emergency solutions, please) ?
I think that is what is going to define the basic design of the camera of tomorrow that has the potential to replace the classic 35mm format DSLR (with which I only need one system).
I'm not convinced we have seen any alternative 35mm format system lining up to deliver that so far.
So maybe there is a reason why the (sleeping?) giants haven't made any radical move yet, except for going digital.
Maybe they just haven't found a viable solution yet.

For me the most important question is the following.
With the digital revolution I had to replace my camera.
What will be the impact of the next revolution, will I have to replace all my lenses ?

V

Vivek

Hi Steen,

Only one thing to remind you.

Remember IX Nikkors?

(not many may know this, but Nikon also made some "toy" lenses in F mount for a limited time. Same thing will happen to the 1 "system")

V

Vivek

I still have one of the IX-Nikkors (20-40?) that I modified to make it work on a regular APS-C Nikon DSLR. It does well in IR. It is a feather weight pancake zoom. :D

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr