The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 50 for D800e, Zeiss or Nikon

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had a good mentor! Speaking seriously, I wanted it and wanted to be totally familiar with it before our next workshop :toocool:
Yea I'm working on some glass too. I want my Zeiss 25 F2 back and/or get a really outstanding stitching lens. Like to try those new SK glass or maybe a Mirex system. Have to do some research on it.

I have had requests for stock images and they are huge output files and need to look at building more Mpx through stitching. I mean BIG one is 9 ft x 20 ft as a example. Luckily I have some stitched MF stuff that will handle it.

nikonf

I love the 50mm f1.2 AIS and the 135mm DC. They have wonderful Bokeh.
I also love the images produced by the 135mm Minolta/Sony STF - nothing like it!

Is that a stitch or a single shot?
Not a stitch. Cropped. Corners contained just water and sky ... so I wasn't dealing curvature all the way out there. Just at the edges.

LR5 has automatic distortion correction for that lens...
I'm talking about field curvature, not distortion. LR does seem to handle the lens's modest distortion quite well.

AreBee

Carlos,

If it is a stitch, you have to correct each shot before stitching and then again after stitching.
Further to Paul's response to your post, why do you consider it necessary to correct distortion of images prior to stitching? It is not required by stitching software.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Carlos,

Further to Paul's response to your post, why do you consider it necessary to correct distortion of images prior to stitching? It is not required by stitching software.
If they are not individually corrected, they wouldn't match, would they?

AreBee

Jorgen,

If they are not individually corrected, they wouldn't match, would they?
The question is not if image distortion should be corrected - obviously it must be if images are to overlap exactly with their neighbours - it is if distortion should be corrected manually as well as by stitching software, as Carlos apparently does, or solely by stitching software.

Stitching software takes image distortion into account, as noted in my previous post. Therefore, correcting distortion prior to stitching is unnecessary.

Lars

50/1.8G has a pretty much neutral bokeh wide open, right? No hot edge on OOF highlights?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
and here it is...

This is the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens | Nikon Rumors

or perhaps not entirely yet.... looks like an interesting lens.
But it looks just like any other boring Nikkor :(

On the other hand, if it's a fantastic lens, maybe it makes more sense to buy this one for my D700 and F6 than venturing out on unsafe ground with yet another revolutionary, hi-tech PanaSonyLympus :)

It will also be a perfect portrait lens on the D2Xs

Swissblad

I agree, a 58mm f1.2 would have been nicer.
I'm thinking along the same lines that it may be a nice portrait lens for dx cameras.
Or even a nice video lens for fx?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree, a 58mm f1.2 would have been nicer.
I'm thinking along the same lines that it may be a nice portrait lens for dx cameras.
Or even a nice video lens for fx?
For some reason, there are very few f/1.2 fiftysomething mm lenses that I like, particularly not the bokeh. That includes the 50mm f/1.2 AIS and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L. I suspect that it's difficult to make an f/1.2 lens that has a nice bokeh iwde open without it being unacceptably large or by using very exotic lens technology.

So, I find f/1.4 very acceptable, and the difference in light gathering as well as DOF is rather small.

Swissblad

It's been ages since I used a 50mm f1.2, so I cannot really comment.
50mm is not a range I use a lot.

The 58mm f1.2 Noct was famous in its day though....

But is is good to see Nikon making some new primes!