The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron SP 24-70 Di VC lens

felix5616

I would like to hear from anyone using a tamron SP 24-70 Di VC lens on their Nikon D800E. I am especially interested in corner to corner sharpness across the 24-70 mm range.

gurtch

Shot today. D800E, Tamron 24-70 VC, f11 hand held. Polarizer. I am happy with the lens. Will make a nice 20"x30".
Dave in NJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If this is the newest version of this lens than I have it and use it for my PR work its actually quite a nice lens and maybe better on the wide side than the long side. I'm not the biggest fan of zooms but this is pretty nice and convenient although big and heavy it is very usable . It has its quirks like I turn off the VC over 1/60 th of a second. I believe it's a better lens with it off than on on the faster shutter speeds. I have shot it a lot but never really tested it fully but I get good sharp images. Maybe not as good as the Nikon according to some field tests but not bad either.

gurtch

Guy: Interesting comment about turning VR off. I have been leaving it on with and without monopod, at all shutter speeds. I did note several images seemed a bit soft that were monopod, and higher shutter speeds. I must try it both ways. Not a big deal to "snap", turn the VC dial, then 'snap" again.
Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it seems to jump around some . If you let it settle in seems to be okay but working fast I turn it off. Something you should test. It's a nice lens though and glad I bought it for those AF needs I have it works very good.