The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Lens Help Needed

JoelM

I am a Leica user, but recently got a Nikon D2x to use for the times when a rangefinder falls short, namely telephoto and macro. From my very old days using macro, I was particularily fond of the old Tamron SP 90mm adaptall lens and am considering getting another. I'm not too concerned with AF, but often newer lenses having AF also have newer and better optical design. There seems to be a few of the old 90mm 2.5 SP lens variants as well as the newer 90mm 2.8 version and AF versions. I am not counting out other brands or even Nikon micro lenses. I would like to stay near the 90mm - 105mm FL.

Any user experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Joel

D&A

Hi Joel,

I'm a bit short on time at the moment to write anything more than a few lines but I'll quickly give you my thoughts. I am very familar with all incarnations of the Tamron 90mm macro, having used each and every one since it's introduction many many years ago in adaptall mount (up to the AF versions). There are so many great performing macro lenses in the Nikon mount and a good case could be made for each, especially if you want to use the lens as a very good mid range telephoto.

One of my favorites these past few years has been the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro. Its won wide acclaim as a macro and an excellent general telephoto that even can stand up to use with Sigma's 1.4x converter. I use the older non OS (optical Stabilized) version which some prefer over the current OS one...not to mention the non OS is much more compact and far less expensive. Some even thing the older version is sharper, but I can't confirm this in testing.

Exquisitively sharp at min focusing distance, excellent in telephoto range and everything in-between and really not too large (bit not compact either. Again as I mentioned, a case can be made for many of the superbly performing macro's but when I take everything in consideration, a good sample of the Sigma, still gets my vote for all around best buy in terms of performance.

Dave (D&A)

AlanS

Hi Joel,
I use a 90mm 2.5 SP (52B) with my D600 and have found it to be excellent for the type of landscape work that I do (both close up and infinity). If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

JoelM

Hi Dave,

I appreciate your experience with the Sigma, but it is a bit pricey for me and the focal length is more than I really wanted.

Alan, is that lens the Adaptall version? Also, what does the 52B designate?

Thanks,

Joel

AlanS

Yes it is adaptall 2, the 52B is the actual lens code. (see adaptall-2.org for full listing)

Leigh

Nikon has an excellent 105mm micro, made in several different versions over the years.

I've owned that, along with the Nikon 55 and 200 micros, at various times.
I prefer the 105 for general macro use.

There is a current version in the product line, and older versions readily available used.
I would suggest checking the inventory at KEH for possibilities: http://www.keh.com

- Leigh

Last edited: