The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon AF-S 800/5.6 + 1.2x TC

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That's a great idea Manouch -- I will definitely look into doing that!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Weighs less than the 600/4 and is about 1/2 longer . Not a big deal if using a monopod or Wembley . The bigger issue is being able to frame the subject if movement is involved. AF works perfectly on the 600/4 ..managing DOF is another subject .

I ve used the 600 for both Polo and Surfing . The 800 would be useful but better suited to Pro Sports photographers that are often forced into specific shooting locations .

Seems like a fun lens to rent .

D&A

3 aspherics, 2 ED elements. MTF:

Might as well draw flat line with a ruler. Almost. :bugeyes:

:shocked:
I would have considered it at 3x the price but that slight falloff in performance (as seen in the MTF chart) has completly killed the idea of getting one :ROTFL:

Actually, it's extremely light weight if one compares it to Sigma's newly released 200-500mm f2.8 lens :)

I used the Sigma 300-800 f5.6 lens for some time and for the price, it's performance was far better than one would expect. The ability to zoom, allowed fairly quick framing at the 300mm end and then quickly zoom towards 800mm. Not quite in the league of the current Nikon 600 f4 VR but superior to any of the long reach consumer zooms. Too bad it didn't have "OS".

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I wonder if this is the first of an entirely redesigned line of superteles with equally scary looking performance (theoretically at least) and price tags...

I would compare w 400/2.8 since this lens is limited in long distance shooting. However, 400/2.8 w a 2x would be a 800/5.6 lens. Of course, I do believe the focus mechanism would be better w/o 2x.

Shashin

And just think of the 2% reward points from B&H.

But then you could get a Metabones speed booster and mount it on a Nex 5...