The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just got a D3X.....

I remember when it came out and the most common critique was how overpriced it was, and certainly hard to justify the $3000 increase from the D3 (which I shot for several years). So I sold that D3 to buy a D800E which is now in the hands of RobSteve of this forum. (Traded for his noctilux plus lenses+cash). I didn't love the 800E. Mostly I missed the lovely bright viewfinder of the D3 with the illuminated focus points. I also found it tough to get best IQ as camera shake was so tricky and I find it harder to steady a smaller lighter camera.

But I was left without an f-mount body and lot's of lovely f-lenses. Started looking for used D3S and found I could get a used D3X for LESS than a used D3S. The situation had reversed, now getting a D3X was no longer an extravagance. I really wanted higher resolution. I don't shoot very low light or sports like I used to, and I went for a nearly unused D3X bought on this forum. I love it. The files are extraordinary at Iso 100, and testing at 1600 was much better than I thought it would be. I get the feeling that the 24MP sensor is sort of a sweet spot, offering extremely good resolution while being more forgiving of camera shake then the D800. Having been an early adopter of many bodies over the years, it's a great change of pace to find joy in an "outdated" body!

D&A

Congratulations on the D3x! I though long and hard about acquiring one since for fast moving, low light "performing arts" shoots, I needed a 24MP body that had good higher ISO low light performance. The D800 as exceptional a camera as it is, wasn't the right tool for focus acquisition and tracking in low light for moving subjects. That left only the D600 and D3x and although I haven't yet tested the D600, from all reports it has approx a stop advantage over the D3x (at least for my type of shoots).

Still there are many aspects to the D3x that are hard to ignore (coming from a D3, D3s and all other Nikon pro level bodies) and in some respects wished I had the chance to try it out under real world shooting conditions that I described. Definitely enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

Thanks Dave. For the uses you are describing, I'm not sure I would have chosen the D3X either, but my very brief experience indicates it might well handle this type of work. I think I'd shoot it in DX crop mode, get the 7FPS and the "reduced" noise from the smaller file. For my uses, which will be landscape and portrait, often with lights, the D3X will serve very well indeed. best....Peter

D&A

Thanks Dave. For the uses you are describing, I'm not sure I would have chosen the D3X either, but my very brief experience indicates it might well handle this type of work. I think I'd shoot it in DX crop mode, get the 7FPS and the "reduced" noise from the smaller file. For my uses, which will be landscape and portrait, often with lights, the D3X will serve very well indeed. best....Peter
Hi Peter,

Appreciate the additional info. The issue with shooting the D3x in DX mode for me, is it will reduce the file size such, that I might as well be shooting a D3s or D4. I need the full 24MP (give or take a few), so as welcomed as the additonal frame rate of 7FPS would be (espcially that the D600 can't shoot this fast). the file size would be too small for the very sizeable, large format prints I require.

As I've been saying all along, what I really need, isn't available form Nikon yet...a true D700 successor with 24MP, but a body like the D800 or D3s/D3x, at least 7FPS and higher ISO performance of at least the D3s. Ye, tall order but hoping.

I still feel maybe the D3x would still have been a better bet than the D600 (for my shoots)...but so hard to tell based on the theoretical. I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong)...one can only get reduced noise in a smaller file, only if you reduce the native file size (say in the D3x) in post processing, such as in Photoshop. Simply switching over to DX, will result in a smaller file, but noise characteristics will still be the same as the native full rez file.

For your intended use Peter, sounds like the D3x will be an ideal match.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

D4--80% of the resolution of the D3x and 10fps at FX.
Shashin,

The overall performance of the D4 equals or surpasses what I require, but I can tell you form experiece that regardless of how the native file is handled in order to acheive the size prints I often require (with regards to certain types of shots), even 24MP is pushing it to the limits. Therefore although the D4 would meet all my requirements, it's 16MP, regardless of how mathamatically it comes close to the resolution to a 24MP camera, falls short.

I'm sort of between a rock and a hard place when it comes to what's needed and what's currently available in Nikon's arsenal. I know a few others that are in a similar situation.

I suspect that in time, Nikon will hopefully have a more pro oriented 24MP body that encompases the build quality and many of the performance characteristics of a D700/D800/D3s/D4 etc. The D600 from all I've seen in terms of landscape and general use, even under low light conditions is exceptionally attractive in a easy to handle, very reasonably priced package, thats has a very manageable but usable file size for most applications. It unfortunately doesn't encompases some of the shooting attributes that formally the D3/D3s/D700 had for certain applications, except for a file size that was often too small for my intended use of the files.

I'm not the only one who feels there is a gap for this sort of body from Nikon. Time will tell. I'm still of the mind to look for a D3x, even though logic tells me that many of it's specs are somewhat below what I require..even somewhat below the D600. Still nothing replaces trying it out in a real world situation.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Down-res the 36mp d800 file to 24mp and any shake issue is equalized.
Thanks! I am familar with all the "positives" (including reduction of high ISO noise) by downsizing D800 files to 24MP...but like many, there is still a distinct difference from using a Pro level designed 24MP camera with good high ISO performance as one as its designed objectives along with primary use in with fast moving subjects vs. a extremely well designed 36 MP camera who's primarily performance characteristics were designed for ladnscape and other uses. Sure there is a lot of crossover use between the two but the entire workflow is different when shooting close to or over 100 files on a given shoot. Simply downsizing 36MP files isn't the solution...although it can certain help.

Dave (D&A)

derekw

Thanks! I am familar with all the "positives" (including reduction of high ISO noise) by downsizing D800 files to 24MP...but like many, there is still a distinct difference from using a Pro level designed 24MP camera with good high ISO performance as one as its designed objectives along with primary use in with fast moving subjects vs. a extremely well designed 36 MP camera who's primarily performance characteristics were designed for ladnscape and other uses. Sure there is a lot of crossover use between the two but the entire workflow is different when shooting close to or over 100 files on a given shoot. Simply downsizing 36MP files isn't the solution...although it can certain help.

Dave (D&A)
No doubt 36mp would affect work flow and a number of other items. And d3x is a different beast with different strengths...

Just pointing out that the shake issue really isn't an issue. Unless you take advantage of all 36mp. (in print or digital image size) In that sense, the same as any other camera through X mp.

No doubt 36mp would affect work flow and a number of other items. And d3x is a different beast with different strengths...

Just pointing out that the shake issue really isn't an issue. Unless you take advantage of all 36mp. (in print or digital image size) In that sense, the same as any other camera through X mp.
Well I think shake is in play, in that I find it easier to steady the D3X than the D800. I feel the weight helps, and my images agree. The other, bigger factor as I mentioned is I much prefer the VF in the D3 bodies......Peter

derekw

Well I think shake is in play, in that I find it easier to steady the D3X than the D800. I feel the weight helps, and my images agree. The other, bigger factor as I mentioned is I much prefer the VF in the D3 bodies......Peter
Sure.

Essentially my comments boiled down to this: everything else equal, the higher the mp the more noticeable the shake.(where shake equal) Of course if we equalize image size, we no longer have higher mp and thus, equal shake.