The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Insight

ShooterSteve

I find that focus peaking is great for getting the focus in the ballpark, but for critical focusing accuracy I want a 4x to 10x magnification (depending upon focal length) without peaking turned on (just like I used to do with an optical ground glass and a magnifier). Being able to target the center of the zoom area has been a major boon for static work that requires critical focus, for me anyway.

G
In my experience the only way to assure critical focus is tethered on a laptop. All other methods will get you close most of the time, but the LCD's on my D800E and Canon 5Dmk3, 1Ds3, are just not good enough for critical work especially when the focus shifts when stopped down. As sensors get better and lenses get sharper - our out of focus shots look worse than ever, or at least they feel that way...

ShooterSteve

Guy, I'm glad that you bought the 60mm Macro 2.8
Excellent lens. So far the only lens that I own that is really up to the D800.
ACH
Nice to hear that. I'm picking one up tomorrow :clap:

I'm also excited to have finally got my Leica 19 2.8 adapted. I've been using it regularly and it seems up to the demands of the D800E so far.

Godfrey

In my experience the only way to assure critical focus is tethered on a laptop. All other methods will get you close most of the time, but the LCD's on my D800E and Canon 5Dmk3, 1Ds3, are just not good enough for critical work especially when the focus shifts when stopped down. As sensors get better and lenses get sharper - our out of focus shots look worse than ever, or at least they feel that way...
I've not used those cameras so can't comment on them.

The LCDs and EVFs on the Panasonic L1, Panasonic G1, Ricoh GXR, Olympus E-PL1 and Olympus E-5 seem right on the money for critical focus when set to approximately 8x magnification - just as sharp as when I see them on my laptop screen.

G