The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm F1.4

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Last frame of the shoot picked by client and this time i nailed the focus. Okay key stoning , a little cropping and distortion control plus airbrushing which is mostly under the eyes and dust spots. If you look real close there is moire. I love moire it tells me Im sharp as ****. LOL

This is so small that Im not going to correct it.

For 900 dollars you need to buy this lens without a blink of a eye.

johnnygoesdigital

This lens does seem promising. I'll be trying one soon for a ski event. I'm excited about AF. but might miss my ZF.2 21mm's perspective. Interestingly, I'll also have a Nikon 35mm 1.4G on set too...

tashley

Subscriber Member
As per Sigma being the new Leica - I have been working hard with the M240 to review it and shooting the 35 Lux FLE a lot and actually the lenses are similar in some ways, in terms of field curvature (though I think that is better controlled on the Leica) and in terms of OOF rendering (bit busy on both) and in terms of wide open 'look'. Neither lens is anything like as accurate, especially wide open, as the Zeiss on the RX-1 but both have more character.

scho

Imagine what a revolution such a dock would be if it really enables the end-user to AF-fine-tune the lenses and why not at a later stage also cameras ?

A Do-It-Yourself AF-fine-tune kit. That would be awesome.

In theory it has the potential to save the manufacturer a lot of money and the customers a lot of frustration, good reasons why it ought not to be all that expensive.

Just for once the rather worn out Win-Win Situation phrase would make a lot of sense.

Think about it, Nikon :toocool:
Dock is now listed on the Sigma site at $79, but only available for sigma and canon mount lenses.:(

narikin

I too am having problems with same combo: D800E and Sigma 35/1.4. It seems not to focus so well in the middle focus sensor, but does ok with the left and right sensors. Is this 'field curvature'? Do not have this problem with a 1.4 Nikon AFS G lens.

One odd thing: Using regular AF - the center spot misses focus on the Sigma, but turn on live view, zoom LV in on-screen, (leaving the lens on AF, not manual) and it focuses perfectly when you press the shutter. Is that because its using LV contrast detection to focus rather than the AF sensor system?

Guy Mancuso

Price (USD)
Sigma USB Dock
Nikon
1.00 59.00
Subtotal: 59.00
Shipping (Second Day Air): 10.00
Total: 69.00
Billing Information

fotografz

Yes exactly whats from this travel kit. I went out with just the umbrellas for this one. Funny i used Dynalites for many years and got away from them but have gone back to them and have to say they improved them a lot and they are so easy to travel with and they get the job done for little money and you dont look cheap on set either. LOL

Dynalite MK16-1222V RoadMax 1600W/s 2 Head Kit (120V) MK16-1222V

For bigger shoots I will add heavy duty stands and big Octa boxes and soft boxes . So I can go very light or go for broke with everything on hand.
That's a real nice little generator kit for the money Guy. A bit more light than the usual 1200 Ws units from everyone else, and I know from experience that Dynalites are Pro build quality.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Just got this email from Sigma

Hello,

Thank you for the order. We expect to receive the USB dock late May. This order will be on backorder.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Yea but they where happy to take my money also. LOL

mattpallante

I'm confused about just what this device can do for me and my Sigma.:confused: Can anyone give me a short course on what it does or doesn't help with? Thanks for any info.

Matt

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm confused about just what this device can do for me and my Sigma.:confused: Can anyone give me a short course on what it does or doesn't help with? Thanks for any info.

Matt
Update firmware and recalibrate focus such as, for example, if the lens needs more fine tune than your camera allows - that's my understanding.

mattpallante

Update firmware and recalibrate focus such as, for example, if the lens needs more fine tune than your camera allows - that's my understanding.
Thanks, Tim. I guess that's all good, but it's a shame there is so much variation between the lenses and cameras. Too bad they can't talk to each other and make everything nice. I got lucky with my Sigma to D8oo match, but maybe I'm not as demanding as other folks.

Matt

narikin

Can someone explain to me why we are having to pay $60+ for a 'Lens Dock' to put firmware onto our lenses that might fix a problem that is Sigma's fault? They should be handing these out freely to anyone who has the issue, period.

Plus, AFAIK, there is no new firmware as yet for this focus error/field curvature problem. So the dock will be useless till that arrives, assuming it does.

pophoto

Can someone explain to me why we are having to pay $60+ for a 'Lens Dock' to put firmware onto our lenses that might fix a problem that is Sigma's fault? They should be handing these out freely to anyone who has the issue, period.

Plus, AFAIK, there is no new firmware as yet for this focus error/field curvature problem. So the dock will be useless till that arrives, assuming it does.
I think you have misconstrued what the dock can fix over what it can do to personalize each lens. From my understanding from early literature and reviews I have read, for example, you can bias say a sports zoom lens to be quicker focusing at the long end over accuracy, for intended purposes. I think out of the box calibration to be fine, but every lens is like every car, there can be lemons. I have the thread title lens for my Canon with no issue. But if you wish to tune your lens or car, they offer such options. I think it largely remains to be seen how useful this dock actually is, I'm in no rush for one, I think the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A1 lens is a beauty.

When they release the 135 f/1.8 A1 and other rumored 50mm A1 lens, I'll be all over them. If they can bring into market the 24-70 f/2.8 or faster Image stabilized Art lens, that'll be amazing ground what Sigma has achieved with their new lenses. Speculation on my part here! :p