The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm F1.4

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just a heads up to those thinking of getting this lens, you might want to wait a little.

Most of the reviews I have read have been done on cameras of lower resolution than the D800/E and the only exception has only so far looked at close range usage. I have been using a brand new copy extensively for a few days now, intending to review it, and I have found that it is less impressive at the edges than early reviews and MTF charts had led me to hope. This finding is clouded by the fact that mine appears to have a mild decentering, making the right hand side slightly softer, but neither edge qualifies as great on this copy. I have sent samples to Sigma to see if they regard it as within spec but I suspect that, for those awaiting a really good landscape lens in this focal length, this might not be it. I suspect that field curvature is to blame but not until I have a certified good copy can I be sure.

It is remarkably sharp on centre, even wide open. But to give you an example, I was so surprised at the edge performance at far-mid and landscape distances that I made a comparison shot at F4 on a Sony RX1, which I regard as the gold standard for edge and corner sharpness in full frame mid wides, and then I down-resed the Siggy/D800 file to the same pixel dimensions and it was, literally, no contest: sure there was still a touch more detail on centre from the Nikon rig but the Sony easily took the edge trophy.

I have repeated my tests of the Sigma at closer range and it seems somewhat better there (excluding the right hand edge weakness) but still not what I would call critically sharp like the Sony is.

One snowfall does not a winter make, and I will report back on what Sigma have to say, but despite the fact that this lens is very nice on centre, has fairly low distortion and aberrations, good flare resistance and is very sharp indeed wide open on centre, it is not currently looking like the answer to 'sharp across the field' needs. For me, that's still the Sony...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got one yesterday and its coming in at -22 which I can only go to -20 but I have a Sigma repair here in town so next week ill go get it tuned better. I still brought it with me for this trip but its really sharp. On AF I have to tweak the focus a touch to make up for it which is no big deal till I get it fixed up. Built like a Zeiss and really sharp. See how it does this long weekend.

Anyone know when users can get the USB device and where. I want it

Amin

Mine seems very sharp to me. It focuses accurately at close range (within 20 feet or so), which is where I use it most. With very far subjects, it seems to often but not always frontfocus, but I haven't shot enough far subject stuff to be sure of that or care very much.

Here's a processed f/1.4 test shot with distant point of focus. Click through for the full res version (D600):

Here's f/5.6 from a different spot (again click through for full res):

Those were both handheld and focused on the buildings in the distance.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Amin, that scene will suit the field curvature of the lens: use it on a scene with buildings like the central one but all parallel to the sensor and stretching the full width of the frame (a typical requirement of a landscape photographer) and you might hate me....

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, mine's a +18 and so I decided to make my tests by using a bracketed series, some focussed with AF-S, some AF in Live View and some manually focussed in LV and then just chose the best series. But even so, it is not a patch on the Zeiss lens that comes with the RX-1. Or at least mine isn't!

What's the USB thingie?

Amin

Amin, that scene will suit the field curvature of the lens: use it on a scene with buildings like the central one but all parallel to the sensor and stretching the full width of the frame (a typical requirement of a landscape photographer) and you might hate me....
Gotcha. I won't hate you either way, because I didn't buy this lens for landscape photography ;),

I did shoot one flat distant scene where the edges were disappointing, but it was one of the frontfocused ones, so any field curvature issue would have been exaggerated.

I always thought a little field curvature was helpful for landscapes by making the proximal corners sharper.

tashley

Subscriber Member
It certainly can be for certain shapes of subject , but on this as with so many wider lenses on the D800, the nearer sharpness is gained at the expense of the far edges :-(

D&A

Guy, mine's a +18 and so I decided to make my tests by using a bracketed series, some focussed with AF-S, some AF in Live View and some manually focussed in LV and then just chose the best series. But even so, it is not a patch on the Zeiss lens that comes with the RX-1. Or at least mine isn't!

What's the USB thingie?
If Guy doesn't mind, I'll respond briefly to the question regarding that "USB thingie" (hmm, maybe that's what Sigma should call it...LOL! Quick trademark that name! :))

It's a USB dock where the lens mounts onto the dock and it's cord plugs into a CPU's USB. I guess with supplied software, one is not only supposed to be able to update firmware of the lens, but also change or re-set the Af fine tune. I presume a lens that say needs -18...could be "nulled" and re-set to zero. I'm not exactly sure if that how it works or not, as Sigma hasn't apparently said much about it.

I heard two things about pricing. One was that it's reasonable enough that some will consider purchasing it. I then heard that the price is exhorbitant and that it's really only meant for dealers or service stations that will charge customers for servicing their lenses as I just described.

Soon enough I'm sure we'll learn and hear more about it.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Dave, I am in contact with Sigma UK to try to answer these questions and will post when and if I get the answers! They have also confirmed that they expect the edges to be sharper on the lens than the samples from mine I sent them so I am getting a replacement.

EDIT
I got news from Sigma: the dock will be available to end-users but price and date not confirmed...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Shot this lens all weekend and just on the LCD screen things look really good. I do need to download and process so hope to have stuff in a couple days but it sure is sweet at 1.4. Glad I bought it now just need to get the Focusing fine tuned. My guess is I need a -21 which I don't have .LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey Guy, would love to see any shots you make of mid distance flat facades at F4 - Sigma have agreed that mine is too soft at the edges and it'll be replaced but I am keen to see what a good copy does... so far mine is not as good across the frame as my 28mm F1.8G, and is about as sharp on centre... and from what I read it should be better.

Guy Mancuso

I did this in LA actually . Now these are handheld at 2.8, 5.6,8 and F11. Actually corners and boarders look very good at F11 for sure but even 5.6 is what I would expect. Now I did not use live view here either so certainly with focusing issues at the moment with AF its a toss up if i nailed it . Looks like I did but here are 4 raws to check out . Here is a link. Let me know what your thoughts are I'm in all day meetings the next two days so hard to get working on this until Thursday. So far from other shots this thing looks very promising.

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_ac..._download%26batch_id%3DUW15cXl1YSs0b0MwYjhUQw

tashley

Subscriber Member
I had a good look Guy, really useful. It looks to me as if yours is similar to mine but not as noticeable: slightly softer on the right. Mine cleans up at all distances by F8 which seems to be the last aperture before diffraction sets in, though F11 is still pretty good. Next time you'r about 150 feet from a flat facade it would be interesting if you get the same result. Thanks again. Crowd sourcing works!

I apologize for the OT, as I don't have a Sigma 35 1,4.
I have the same impression as Tim, Guy's sample shows a slight but visible
softness on the right side.
Just out of curiosity, I tested my venerable (1973) summicron r 35 (9 lenses)
Here the result at 5,6. Take a look at the branches on the extreme right side..
Full size image available on Flickr.
The bokè in the 1,4 shot of the Sigma seems very good, and an example with
defocused highlights could confirm this impression.

_DSC1855 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Last edited:

vjbelle

Guy,

Thanks for posting the files. Your copy of this lens would be a definite reject for me. It would be one thing if there was even curvature showing both left and right edges soft, but the left edge is crisp at f5.6 and the right is definitely out. The right edge is even slightly soft at f8.....

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Victor I'm going to test it one more time on a tripod to be sure I am lined up okay and see what happens. This could be my whole AF issue too. Regardless of this copy I want this lens though. I have a Sigma repair shop in my area so I will bring it down there this week and see what they can do.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just so's you know Guy, Lloyd Chambers' copy has a slight decentering too... It may be that the design is prone to it.