The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What I would really like is to try this on an FM3A with CMS 20 :)

But since I have an F6... I need $3,000 or whatever to buy the lens and a couple of weeks out in the wilderness. Anybody need a kidney?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me

Don't you just love comparisons like this :D

Click for larger size of this screen dump

Screen dump

weinlamm

:D

Yes. In that moment I waited for "... on the right you see a picture with the actually 50/1.4 Planar...". But no... they showed an 50 years old lens... :grin:

And I believe in the same aperture. :toocool:

I wonder how this Zeiss will compare with the latest Leica 50/2 apo which is staking the same "best 50" territory albeit at f2.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When I was at ProPhoto Plus in NYC last Oct we were able to handle a prototype of this lens . It is about the same size as the Leica 70mm S lens. A totally different class of lenses from the Zf/Ze mounts in both performance but also in size .

Alon

Not Available
Very interesting........and utterly useless information from Zeiss!

I do not understand why Zeiss does not name the "50 conventional" lens. Which lens is it? Is it a Zeiss? Which one? The ZF 50/1.4?

Which rubbish 50/1.4 produces such quality?
This is really insulting the minds of photographers!

And what seems to be the trick with super duper sharp lenses in the centre? Sigma 35/1.4 followed by Zeiss 55/1.4, followed by Zeiss 135 and now the launch of a new 85/1.4...now that would be a laugh having an 85/1.4 super sharp in the centre. And wait, a Wide Angle 1.4.

Oh what the hell, I am selling all my Zeiss glass and getting the new Sigma "A" line and Zeiss 1.4 line....No, wait, I am keeping my Zeiss glass as it is turning vintage.....If my ZF2 85/1.4 is turning vintage then what should I classify my Biotar 75? Antique???

Big Sighhhhh.

edwardkaraa

Very interesting........and utterly useless information from Zeiss!

I do not understand why Zeiss does not name the "50 conventional" lens. Which lens is it? Is it a Zeiss? Which one? The ZF 50/1.4?

Which rubbish 50/1.4 produces such quality?
This is really insulting the minds of photographers!

And what seems to be the trick with super duper sharp lenses in the centre? Sigma 35/1.4 followed by Zeiss 55/1.4, followed by Zeiss 135 and now the launch of a new 85/1.4...now that would be a laugh having an 85/1.4 super sharp in the centre. And wait, a Wide Angle 1.4.

Oh what the hell, I am selling all my Zeiss glass and getting the new Sigma "A" line and Zeiss 1.4 line....No, wait, I am keeping my Zeiss glass as it is turning vintage.....If my ZF2 85/1.4 is turning vintage then what should I classify my Biotar 75? Antique???

Big Sighhhhh.
That shot is in the extreme lower right corner so stop your drama :ROTFL:

edwardkaraa

I wonder how this Zeiss will compare with the latest Leica 50/2 apo which is staking the same "best 50" territory albeit at f2.
A better comparison would be with the 50/1.4 summilux. The Zeiss is still a bargain in comparison, especially if you calculate $/kg :)

monza

There is time to save your pennies. The Zeiss rep has sent me this:

"We have not yet announced a formal launch date for the Distagon 1.4/55. I estimate delivery sometime late Q3 or early Q4 this year. "

weinlamm

I heared from a friend "late summer". What ever this means... Q3/Q4 could be real. So it should be a good suggestion for your wife for christmas... :D
I'm curious, what my wife will say... :loco: :eek: :ROTFL:

ShooterSteve

Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4 ... this is going to cost me

Don't you just love comparisons like this :D

Click for larger size of this screen dump

Screen dump
Is this a joke? What a worthless comparison. Let's see them test it against other high end 50's like their own macro or a Leica R.

When you get to $3000+ for a normal lens - there are other considerations to consider... for instance, for my needs a 2.8 lens would be fine as I only want it for hi-res landscapes. Who needs a manual focus 1.4? I have both 1.4 and 1.2 50's that I use for my lifestyle work and need AF for that. Not sure what Zeiss is thinking on this one?

I'd be interested to see their whole lens lineup. Maybe we will see 50+mp Nikon and Canon bodies soon? What I'd like to see is a 20, 28 and 35mm 2.8 lenses of un-compromised quality instead.

But it's certainly exciting.