The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 55mm 1.4... this is going to cost me

M

mjr

Just because you " ... can't understand the need for it (i.e., AF)", doesn't mean the need doesn't exist.

- Marc
Well of course Mark, that is obvious, there is no such thing as a one size fits all, it's absurd to think otherwise, opinions can only really be based on your own position. Mine, as I explained in my second post is my own position, a manual focus lens on a D800 is perfect for me, you need af then the lens isn't for you, there are other solutions and always will be.

Landscape photographers needing af I don't understand at all, never have but if you want it then you want it, there doesn't need to be any justification further than that.

Some people have said it is heavy, for me that doesn't mean anything either, I'm a full grown man, carrying a couple of extra kg's in exchange for a great hobby is no hardship at all but that's a turn off for some.

There are as many individual requirements as their are individuals, not having af means nothing to me but it may be a deal breaker for you, that's just the way things go.

Cameras are so advanced these days, there are those that need all the bells and whistles and that's great but it almost feels like the real skill is now in post processing rather than image taking itself, that's my view anyway. I love the files from the D800, I want to set up the tripod, compose, mess about with filters and sit with my nose pressed up against the screen until I like what I see, there are more people like me I should think than there are successful pro's, not that that means one need is greater than the other, just that the needs are different.

I'm rambling!

Mat

M

mjr

I don't think there are any screens available for the D800 other than the standard Nikon screen, could be wrong, I'm not sure that Jorgen even uses a D800.

I just checked my bag, the only af lens I use on occasion is the 50, the af/mf switch is set to mf from the last time I used it! Haha.

Mat

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't think there are any screens available for the D800 other than the standard Nikon screen, could be wrong, I'm not sure that Jorgen even uses a D800.

I just checked my bag, the only af lens I use on occasion is the 50, the af/mf switch is set to mf from the last time I used it! Haha.

Mat
Correct, I use a D700, and this lens would mostly be overkill for me anyway (unless I start to load the F6 with CMS 20). Still, a perfect lens is a perfect lens, regardless of pixel count. If one was given to me, I would most certainly use it :p

It's a bit strange that Nikon doesn't make focusing screens optimized for manual focusing of large aperture lenses. Nikon Europe shows 7 AIS lenses as "current" (20/2.8, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 50/1.2, 55/2.8 micro). As far as I know, Canon, which hasn't made a single large aperture, manual focus prime for the EF mount, does have such a screen for some of their 35mm DSLRs.

fotografz

Well of course Mark, that is obvious, there is no such thing as a one size fits all, it's absurd to think otherwise, opinions can only really be based on your own position. Mine, as I explained in my second post is my own position, a manual focus lens on a D800 is perfect for me, you need af then the lens isn't for you, there are other solutions and always will be.

Landscape photographers needing af I don't understand at all, never have but if you want it then you want it, there doesn't need to be any justification further than that.

Some people have said it is heavy, for me that doesn't mean anything either, I'm a full grown man, carrying a couple of extra kg's in exchange for a great hobby is no hardship at all but that's a turn off for some.

There are as many individual requirements as their are individuals, not having af means nothing to me but it may be a deal breaker for you, that's just the way things go.

Cameras are so advanced these days, there are those that need all the bells and whistles and that's great but it almost feels like the real skill is now in post processing rather than image taking itself, that's my view anyway. I love the files from the D800, I want to set up the tripod, compose, mess about with filters and sit with my nose pressed up against the screen until I like what I see, there are more people like me I should think than there are successful pro's, not that that means one need is greater than the other, just that the needs are different.

I'm rambling!

Mat
Rambling is good ... gets the thoughts out of our sculls :)

Personally I agree regarding size and weight IF that is what is necessary to make gear that performs at this level. I want an 0.95 Noctilux, I pay the penalty of size. I read a ton of post on different sites where compromises are made for what amounts to laziness ... a world filled with noodle armed photographers I guess :ROTFL:

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest those that avail themselves of modern technology are surrendering their creativity or control to the machine ... or worse, to "fixing it in post."
You may wish that to be true for some unknown reason ... but in my experience technology is nothing more than a faster way to get to the same place that allows more thinking time, than fiddling time.

I also wouldn't assume that those "Pros" you mention do not work exactly like you do, because most of them do. A good majority of professional work is very carefully thought out, and the cameras are on a camera stand, then variations explored until they like what they see. Most amateur photography, advanced or not, is of the spontaneous variety.

- Marc

M

mjr

Yes, rambling may well be good to get thoughts out but they don't always come out clearly as in my case!

I use the term Pro's to mean those that are getting a shot to put food on the table, I don't and so I can see my needs are different. There's no doubt that there is added pressure to being a Pro, if I can't get the shot I need I go and have a beer and don't worry about it, I certainly can't blame the equipment I've got. Reputation and business can rest on gear choices as well as the obvious talent required, I need neither gear nor talent to enjoy what I'm doing! I can't imagine a fashion photographer asking the girls to stand still on the runway because their focussing screen is rubbish and they have managed to focus perfectly on an elbow rather than an eye with their heavy expensive manual focus lens! Those pro photographers who can make money by producing wonderful landscape images of stunning locations with their tech cams are complete gits, I hate them all! Haha!

I agree that my comment on technology may have come across negatively but I'm talking from my own view, with this D800 I have such a huge file, loads of dr, pretty advanced af and the camera can control absolutely everything, I don't even need to look through the viewfinder, just sit back and look at the screen, I can even sit in my armchair 50 feet away with an ipad and focus, take shots and everything without getting up! I don't but people must because the functions are there for a reason. I'm not saying that the skill is removed, actually I might be saying that! I'm sure with a D800 you could just stick it out the window and press the button and make something decent of it in post if you wanted. I don't see many of these tech advances useful to Pros really, I could be wrong but I can't see top flight photographers searching through the menu for the smile recognition function! I think these functions are mainly aimed at those amateurs who want the quality and the nice picture without actually having to know anything about photography. Nothing wrong with that of course, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I see lots and lots of heavily manipulated photographs on lots of forums, some good, some really dreadful to my eye, it does appear to me that to a "fair" proportion of photographers, the image captured is one thing, what you can push it to in post is an entirely different thing. Again, if it pleases you, if you like it then that is all that matters. I saw that long thread over on LL about the guy who posted his workflow on the picture of the tree, Kevin somebody. I would never have taken the shot in the first place but he did and created what he wanted in post, to my eye it was just dreadful but I don't need to like it I suppose, he didn't take it for me. Manipulation has obviously been a part of photography from the beginning, I try and use filters, that's manipulation as much as running it through some software, to me it just feels less connected doing it in front of the computer, there's no right or wrong, I'm aware of that.

Anyway, i've taken this way off topic so I apologise, I like the look of the Zeiss, i will try it and if I like it I will raid the piggy bank! I think it I can't focus it, it will because of me, not the camera or the lens.

Mat

biglouis

The 50f1.2 just rock, even hand-held, you have almost the same results on the D800, just a raw out of ViewNX2 without tweak...:
Hulyss, nice rendering but for the moment I think I will stick with DP3M for portraits :)

LouisB

There's been hardly a peep out of Schneider about their new primes for still photography. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

Hulyss Bowman

Hulyss, nice rendering but for the moment I think I will stick with DP3M for portraits :)

LouisB
Yea I know :) But here we are in the Church of Nikonius so I must not speak about the DP line ;)

Joke aside, I have all I need in APS-C (DP3m) and FF (D700/800). I see the limits more and more, clients after clients. I need more, even if a cool chap I know lend me his S2 when needed.

Time for me to buy a MF camera, time for me to save load of money because I know I need it badly ( Pixels aren't a problem, an AptusII/5 would please me a lot because the sensor is large).

All this marketing around DSLR and 35mm lenses bother me more than I admit...:lecture:

biglouis

I must admit that the more I use the RX1 the more I like the 24mp sensor which I assume is the same or similar in the D600/610.

I am very impressed with those samples from the 50/1.4 AF-S.

LouisB

Jeffg53

I just ordered mine. Coming from medium format land, and having been looking at Leica lately, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

This will be the first time that I have had a plethora of 50's - an adapted R Cron, the adapted 28-90 and now the Zeiss.

AreBee

Wow. Now that the lens is beginning to be listed for sale in the UK it is even more expensive than I thought it would be (I calculated it would be £3k).

It's £3170 in the UK. The Leica S 70mm (non CS version in order to compare on a like for like basis), which is 56mm equivalent is £3500. Not much in it at all, in terms of cost!

The advantage of the Zeiss therefore apparently lies in the significant additional functionality of the body of a Small Format DSLR compared to a MF DSLR like the Leica S.

Will f/1.4 for Small Format return shallower DOF than f/2.8 for Medium Format (in this case the Leica S)?

RVB

Wow. Now that the lens is beginning to be listed for sale in the UK it is even more expensive than I thought it would be (I calculated it would be £3k).

It's £3170 in the UK. The Leica S 70mm (non CS version in order to compare on a like for like basis), which is 56mm equivalent is £3500. Not much in it at all, in terms of cost!

The advantage of the Zeiss therefore apparently lies in the significant additional functionality of the body of a Small Format DSLR compared to a MF DSLR like the Leica S.

Will f/1.4 for Small Format return shallower DOF than f/2.8 for Medium Format (in this case the Leica S)?
The S70 is 2.5... the DOF is very shallow.. considering it includes A,F it looks like a good deal,it's also extremely sharp.. the Zeiss is imho really useful to low light or people that want to get Medium format performance with shelling out the cash for a M.F body or back..

P.S the S70mm is also very very good wide open and you can use it at 2.5 without sacrificing much I.Q

AreBee

RVB,

I have zero doubts in relation to the calibre of the S70, or any S lens for that matter. I expected the zeiss to be expensive - that is a given. I guess I am just surprised that the cost is all but equal to the Leica S lenses.

I did forget about autofocus. Hmm, autofocus for an extra few hundred pounds. Never would have thought of considering the S lenses a bargain. :D

...the Zeiss is imho really useful to...people that want to get Medium format performance with shelling out the cash for a M.F body or back...
I agree. You may recall that I previously (and still do) considered purchasing a Leica S2. In the end the greatest issue, which I simply could not justify to myself was the cost/value of the body. The zeiss 55mm f/1.4, and the Otus lenses that subsequently will be released, eliminates that issue.

RVB

RVB,

I have zero doubts in relation to the calibre of the S70, or any S lens for that matter. I expected the zeiss to be expensive - that is a given. I guess I am just surprised that the cost is all but equal to the Leica S lenses.

I did forget about autofocus. Hmm, autofocus for an extra few hundred pounds. Never would have thought of considering the S lenses a bargain. :D

These are inflationary time's.. :eek: and the price's are only going to keep going north..

I agree. You may recall that I previously (and still do) considered purchasing a Leica S2. In the end the greatest issue, which I simply could not justify to myself was the cost/value of the body. The zeiss 55mm f/1.4, and the Otus lenses that subsequently will be released, eliminates that issue.
Apart from A.F (which is a big deal imho)the S system offers leaf shutters which is a great bonus over the 1/250th sec sync speed of Canikon..

If you do buy an S/S2 I think the S is worth the extra dough.. it's a better handling camera,although I still think that Leica should get with the program and add an 80mp sensor to the next version so we can really make the most of the glass..

M

mjr

I think you can only consider an S lens a bargain if you've spend the £16k needed to get a body to put it on! I'd really like to try an S but have resisted because I'd struggle to afford it. Some really nice glass on the D800 will suit me personally.

Good times!