The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50/1.4 G - not so impressed...

A

asabet

I can't tell based on just those samples and continue to hold out hope for this lens. Looking forward to seeing more samples!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
...with the sample exposures I have seen on the web. While it surely is significantly better than the 1.4D, it still has that busy background rendering wide open.
Lars, do you think the 50/1.4G's disappointing bokeh could be a consequence of the missing aspheric element(s), ED element(s), and Nano Crystal Coating? ;)

R

Ranger 9

Lars, do you think the 50/1.4G's disappointing bokeh could be a consequence of the missing aspheric element(s), ED element(s), and Nano Crystal Coating? ;)
Lars' post suggests he is basing his evaluation on samples he has seen on the web. I own and use this lens (admittedly have not had it very long) so my evaluation is based on my own pictures. Going by this, I would not say the bokeh is "disappointing," but rather than Nikon seems to have tried to strike a balance between foreground and background bokeh. That seems logical for a 50/1.4 lens intended to be used at full aperture, since its DOF is so narrow that many pictures will include out-of-focus areas both in front of and behind the subject.

As you can see in this article (scroll down to section 2) it is impossible to have nice soft bokeh both in front of and behind the subject plane. As the author (a Nikon lens designer) states:

"When spherical aberration is left a bit undercorrected, flares surround the out-of-focus background, thereby resulting in a close-to-ideal out-of-focus background.

In practice, however, this approach offers two problems. First, undercorrected spherical aberration can cause a ring or off-axis aberration in the out-of-focus foreground. This means that defocusing cannot be attained simultaneously for both foreground and background."​

(He goes on to describe how his boss solved the problem by designing Nikon's "defocus-control" lenses, which allow the smoothest bokeh to be placed either in front of or behind the in-focus plane.)

Unfortunately, most of the photos I've shot so far with the 50/1.4G have been for my employer, so I don't feel I ought to post them without their permission; maybe it would be okay, though, to post just a section of one:

I assume that the background of this image shows the issue Lars mentions: you'll notice that the lettering (actually three-dimensional metal sign letters about 10 inches tall and 1 inch deep) show a structure with some fairly abrupt edges, even though the overall blurring is very smooth. What you can't see in this picture, but which I've observed in others (close-up food shots in which the customer wanted a very narrow range of sharpness) is that the out-of-focus area in front of the focus plane is very smooth and soft.

My impression is that Nikon has made a good tradeoff between desirable foreground bokeh and desirable background bokeh, with foreground objects (which will be more prominent in the image) very smooth and background objects only a problem if there are strongly contrasting edges (such as the metal letters in my example.)

I don't know how this compares to the Sigma lens because I haven't seen or used the Sigma. I just wanted to point out that it's not simply a case of "good bokeh" or "bad bokeh," but rather WHERE you want your good bokeh to be, and the best choice for one kind of photography may not be the best for another kind (which is why it was pretty smart of Nikon to make those two DC lenses.)

Lars

Ranger9, you are of course correct WRT the tradeoff between foreground and background rendering (and thanks for posting that link). I have a 135 DC and love it for its flexibility in varying the out of focus rendering quality.

Obviously it's a subjective preference how you want the foreground vs background smoothness. For my own photography, with a lens like a 50mm I'd say out of focus background is about 30-100 times more frequent than out of focus foreground. For this reason my personal preference is towards a smoother background bokeh at the expense of foreground bokeh.

I thnk that if you compare background vs foreground bokeh on the G with that of the older 5/1.4D you will find that the G has a much better balance than the older lens. To me it seems that the older lens design prioritized in-focus image quality with less consideration for bokeh.

Of course stopped down the situation might be quite different, but the wide open performance is quite important on a f/1.4 lens.