The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultra wide for D800e

When people are talking about the Leica 19, most I guess are referring to version 2. Any big difference with version 1? I see that the price difference is quite substantial.
Erwin Puts says:
At f/5.6 the 20 Lp/mm are now above 80% contrast from centre to corner and the 5 Lp/mm are close to 100%. This performance is of a very high order indeed. We may appreciate the quality if we reflect on the fact that the previous 19mm at aperture 5.6 was as good as the current one at 2.8. At aperture f/8, the usual drop in contrast can be seen (see image 2 and 3).

Aaron

I see no mention of the 16-35mm lens, I'd be interested to hear how this lens fairs on the D800e with it's zoom versatility.
+1

Would love to hear if anyone here has expeience of the 16-35mm.
I have heard some great reports on it but it never gets any love here.....
Anyone tried it?

vieri

If you are shooting also architecture, I'd say get the 14-24. It's the best corrected of all, while the Zeisses have strange wave distortions to deal with. Or, if you need that capability, get the 24 PC-E (and hope for Nikon to release the long-expected 17mm PC-E)...

Dustbak

I have a 16-35 and really love it. A very useful lens. I use it a lot handheld to shoot at low shutterspeed, a bit higher ISO. In software it is well corrected and my copy is also really good in the corners (i use it stopped down somewhat 5.6-8.0). This way I can work fast and still have enough quality. Try doing 20 showrooms in a retail center within an hour and a half and come back with images that can be used in a magazine. This is something I cannot do with the 14-24.

I can screw a protective filter on it when I get very close in kitchens to boiling stuff. Cleaning off grease from a filter is something I rather do than removing it from the front element.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Back when I used to shoot magazine work even the Canon 1D I had was overkill at 4MP, but a 4MP JPEG out of the camera still wasn't so huge as to be a problem in itself. It could easily do full pages and even spreads in a pinch, though 6MP would have been better for a 2-page spread. Those I shot for always specially commissioned spreads though, so it wasn't an issue. I also shot raw but rarely needed them.

Today I'm confident you could shoot the D800 and get whatever in-camera JPEG is close to 4-6MP at ISO 6400 and possibly 12500 and it would be for all practical purposes flawless. Save raws too though, just in case. Lens also won't matter. If you like the 16-35, use it. If you prefer the 14-24, use that. It will make absolutely no difference.

D&A

If you are shooting also architecture, I'd say get the 14-24. It's the best corrected of all, while the Zeisses have strange wave distortions to deal with. Or, if you need that capability, get the 24 PC-E (and hope for Nikon to release the long-expected 17mm PC-E)...
+1! I could make a case "for" and "against any # of ultra wide angle lenses and/or zooms when used on a higher resolution DSLR like the D800/e. Even the best of them has something that can be improved. Besides finding a good sample it also depends on ones intended use.

After all is said and done, I too feel the 14-24 has far more strengths than negatives and is quite versatile...except for the ability to use filters easily with it.

I personally was not a fan of the 16-35mm for my particular use which I outlined in depth on a number of occasions (and threads) here on getdpi.

Dave (D&A)

RMR

The 14mm comes in a 3 diff brands: Samyang, Bower & Rokinon. Which one to get? I see Guy has the Samyang but am not sure why he got that one. Is one of these brands like the 'parent' company perhaps? Would appreciate some insight as I want one too! Bob

Leigh

Here are a couple with the Nikon 14-24/2.8G @ 14mm.
The post in the foreground of the second shot is close enough I could touch it.

These are scaled at 10% of original size. The original JPG files are ~28Mb.
No manipulation whatsoever except resizing. Otherwise straight from the camera JPEGs.

- Leigh

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here are some crops I have on hand already for the ZF.2 18 on the D800E. It's beyond reproach in the center, even so slightly soft on the edges and a little more so in the corners. The 14-24 at 18mm is slightly better. However, they're so close that the only consideration IMO in which to grab is whether the benefit of the zoom outweighs the benefit of the smaller prime.

The chair is a little OOF I think, but it also illustrates why I think the extreme corners are relatively unimportant on a lens this wide - it's not someplace you'd put anything that matters. (Longer lenses are a different matter entirely.) But the corners really aren't as bad as some would make them out to be.

You could probably sharpen these a little more (I only applied a little input USM sharpening at r0.5 using my standard LR settings for the D800E).

center

edge

corner

johnnygoesdigital

I actually miss my ZF.2 18mm, I preferred it over the 21mm. I'd love the 14-24 Nikon, but without any filter threads, I would never buy it.

johnnygoesdigital

Why not?

GetDPI is a digital Forum.
Anything you can do with a filter can be done in Photoshop.

- Leigh
The name of the forum is irrelevant to the use of filters, besides, I'm not a photoshop user.
Photoshop does not protect the lens element from water or objects.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
THe more I use it, the more I like my 17-35/2.8. Yes, the extreme corners never get crisp, but then I rarely have anything worthwhile in the extreme corners to look at. It is very sharp in the central 2/3rds, even wide open. It is a very useful ultra-to-moderate wide zoom, covering 5 reasonably fast prime wides in a relatively compact unit.

jsf

I agree with Jack, the 17-35 has easily correctable distortion, low flare and is crisp in everything but the extreme corners. It takes a standard 77mm filter, I use it on both my d800e and d700 and think it is an admirable lens. I would compare its resolution favorably with a micro nikkor. It is an unfussy piece of equipment. I like the 21mm focal length a lot and this lens delivers, at f/8 you have to really be a pixel peeper to see the slight extreme corner softening, it is not a reason not to get the lens. Joe

thedruid

I just replaced my venerable 17-35mm with the new lightweight 18-35mm G, it beat my old lens at every setting except wide open at 35mm end.

D&A

THe more I use it, the more I like my 17-35/2.8. Yes, the extreme corners never get crisp, but then I rarely have anything worthwhile in the extreme corners to look at. It is very sharp in the central 2/3rds, even wide open. It is a very useful ultra-to-moderate wide zoom, covering 5 reasonably fast prime wides in a relatively compact unit.
+1! I've been singing the praises of this lens here on Getdpi and elsewhere for quite some time (and posted an overall general review)...whether it's used on a D800 or a 12MP body. All the wide angle zooms have their pluses and minuses but when it comes to one in particular that in my opinion has the best series of compromises for overall strength in as many areas as possible (good central sharpness and contrast, low distortion, overall good performance throughout most of its range, reasonably compact and good handling, easily take filters)...it's hard to beat this one.

Dave (D&A)