The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dust settled users of D800E!

jsf

I agree with Charles, the plane of focus on the d800e that I have is stunning, no matter what lens, as long is it at the optimal f/stop the plane of focus is distinguishable from the depth of field. I have only seen that at maximum f/stops in close ups before this. The quality of resolution is spectacular. The possibility of screw ups is infinite. I thought originally it would only be my tripod camera, but I use it hand held now and my poor d700 languishes. I didn't think I would like the camera as much as I do. But it does make me a more careful photographer which I think is funny since I have always thought of myself as careful, but it is much more demanding, much like large format is more demanding. I think that is why I like it so much. Joe

Shashin

glenerrolrd;500755 "Focusing is a big issue with any DSLR than uses 36MP ..you can see the slightest miss . Standard DOF tables don t apply and hyperfocal techniques don t work." said:
Can you please elaborate further on the DOF issue and why standard hyperfocal techniques don't work. I experienced some recent issues in this area. Relied on a DOF table as well as the depth field scale on the lens, and was quite disappointed. Thanks.
It could be that you do not print and are looking at your images at 100% on a monitor--100% is not a real-world viewing distance and DoF is related to viewing distance. I use a D800E and Pentax 645D and I am not seeing anything particularly special about DOF. I use zone focusing for both. Dividing an image into smaller sections does not make it softer or less sharp.

pophoto

Just a small update now I'm treading back in Nikon camp with the D800.

I used to make it a point how I struggle with colors, especially with Asian skin tones. Well, this is no longer the case. The sensor in 35mm world is truly wonderful, there's a lot to love about the camera and its sensor and is just a beauty to work with in LR.

My niggle though, isn't with the D800, there's a few small things in itself, but minor. My niggle I speak of is the QC of lenses that reach the stores. AF tuning so far off for critical focus or alignment issues, I have to return the lenses back to the vendor.

I now have refunds for my 50mm and 85mm f/1.8G lenses. Kept the 28mm f/1.8G and 60mm Micro. It's not something I faced during my ownership time with the D700. Oh well.

jsf

It is an argument for manual focusing. I have been retraining myself for manual focusing even in action pictures for a variety of my own reasons. Partuially since I have mostly manual focus primes, but that isn't all of it. I find that I can previsualize much better if I go to completely manual. Manual exposure and manual focusing, it forces me to shoot in that zone between conscious and unconscious. So My conscious part is that technical guy and my unconscious part is in the moment emotional guy. I find that for me that works really well. With the d800e I have just been falling in love with the camera and finding that these old lenses are really spectacular with this high quality sensor. Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line on the D800E you just have to nail focus. Its pretty tough on the file when you don't. Bottom line you need to up your game as a shooter just like you would with medium format you have to think more on being stable, being accurate and get rid of any sloppy habits you have. It will teach you to be a better photographer though in spite that its harder to shoot. But on the same token lenses are problematic with it as you need to get ones that are accurate from the factory and yes that has been tough. I just bought a new 50 1.4 and its -15 on the AF adjust. IMHO okay I'll forget the large number to make it accurate but its disheartening to know Im all over the map on my glass. Some at -4 some dead on and than this at -15 and this is the second one I tried. It pisses you off but in the end the files when you get everything right are extremely good. I'm not big on complaining about these things but it does crawl under your skin sometimes.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yes, imagine how many customer frustrations and service resources could be saved if Nikon made an affordable do-it-yourself autofocus adjustment dock or kit.

Feel free to use this hint, Nikon :)

Has anybody tried to use the Sigma USB dock for autofocus adjustments on some Sigma F-mount lenses ?

Photojazz

What a great thread, it is going to take a large cup of coffee to make it through it in sitting. lol. Thanks for all the great input, as I ponder my own delve into D800E territory. I'm no Nikon newb, that's for sure. I pretty much cut my digital teeth on Nikon (D200, D2X, D2Xs, D700, D3S, D3X), so as I unloaded my heavy pro cameras (with much remorse I might add on the last 2), I look to add to my remaining D700 on the Nikon side , more capability, and this near medium format look that everyone has either gushed about or hated, depending on your perspective I guess. But on the same vein as what Guy is talking about, working to be a better photographer. I willi bet that many of the people that got frustrated, didn't put those good habits to work that are required when the medium shows EVERYTHING you do right, and EVERYTHING you do wrong.

Glass, I know Nikon glass pretty well, so I think I can handle this, especially under 100mm, and a 200mm. I gave up my long glass, for now, longer than 200 and a 1.4 TC, that is. I've had a lot of great glass, I'm down some now, due to Leica investment, but I'll get by.

aztwang

Guy,
I feel your pain regarding the lens A/F fine tune issue. I have been through 3 bodies all with left focus issues and some needing more than -20 on the A/F fine tune.
Do you have this issue with MF????, say a 645 D+, P45/65 and Schneider lenses?..or are they pretty much perfect out of the box. D800/E is a great product, but the aggravation :cussing: to get accurate gear is over the top. Just curious if you have theses heartaches with MF?

Thx

Don

Bottom line on the D800E you just have to nail focus. Its pretty tough on the file when you don't. Bottom line you need to up your game as a shooter just like you would with medium format you have to think more on being stable, being accurate and get rid of any sloppy habits you have. It will teach you to be a better photographer though in spite that its harder to shoot. But on the same token lenses are problematic with it as you need to get ones that are accurate from the factory and yes that has been tough. I just bought a new 50 1.4 and its -15 on the AF adjust. IMHO okay I'll forget the large number to make it accurate but its disheartening to know Im all over the map on my glass. Some at -4 some dead on and than this at -15 and this is the second one I tried. It pisses you off but in the end the files when you get everything right are extremely good. I'm not big on complaining about these things but it does crawl under your skin sometimes.

Hulyss Bowman

I sold back my D800 because I still prefer my D700. I concentrate on the glasses and found in this thread some useful combinations, like Sekor glass on D700... I might try it :)

Sure, the D800 is a great tool, but for me it is just a tool. Do not have the same soul as the D700, whateva you do. D700 + 50f1.2 is just simply magic.

For the rest, you guys should try foveon's way, as Sir Bargate mentioned !

If I need/want rez, now I rent it ;)

johnnygoesdigital

The D800 has certainly changed my opinion on Nikon. Although imo, the 24mp of the D600 is probably the sweet spot for most lenses, using the Sigma 35mm HSM 1.4 on the D800 is perfect! I wouldn't have been able to capture my ski photos with a MFD, so for that one assignment it paid off. What's not often mentioned when comparing cameras, is that the broadcast quality video it shoots is remarkably useful. Combine that with the one of the best lenses ever (85mm1.4G) and you'll get stunning results.
I've never looked back when I sold my H4D/40, I got more for it then I ever expected. Nikon has converted many potential and current MFD users that this could replace or be a viable backup camera for professionals without an insane amount of investment. Canon is sure to follow with something cool, and Sigma's "foveon" sensors are getting the respect they deserve too. It's a good time to be a photographer.