The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dust settled users of D800E!

pophoto

Hi D800E users,

Now the dust has settled from its release and there are many "longer term" users of the D800/E, I'd like to know what you think about the camera.

Comparisons coming from 20+MP to 36MP, even as a compliment to Medium format, how much mileage has it gotten you that you're okay leaving your MF more in the bag or not. It's not a slagging-off thread, but I'm really like to know honest opinions from users.

I've owned a lot of the Canon/Nikon lenses up to 200mm, and know there are limitations, compared to larger format cameras, but it seems a lot of the newer Nikon f1.8G primes are performing quite well from reviews and threads here. I'd love to hear collective opinion from those who are willing to share and whether or not Nikon bringing 36MP has really come that far!

Thanks,
Po

JimCollum

my biggest issue was not being able to use the Zeiss 110/2 lens and get the same DOF/look on the D800E (framing the image the same as I would have on the Aptus 75s). I've come close with the 50mm 1.2 but if I really want that look.. i hook it up to my MF film camera and shoot.

a minor nit.. easily overcome by shooting the same as you would with a MF digital setup.. is the sheer quantity of disk space used by images. I had to slow down my Nikon 35mm shooting style to be a little closer to how I shot the Mamiya 645 & Aptus (1.1fps vs 4fps)

no other real issues at all

Hi D800E users,

Now the dust has settled from its release and there are many "longer term" users of the D800/E, I'd like to know what you think about the camera.

Comparisons coming from 20+MP to 36MP, even as a compliment to Medium format, how much mileage has it gotten you that you're okay leaving your MF more in the bag or not. It's not a slagging-off thread, but I'm really like to know honest opinions from users.

I've owned a lot of the Canon/Nikon lenses up to 200mm, and know there are limitations, compared to larger format cameras, but it seems a lot of the newer Nikon f1.8G primes are performing quite well from reviews and threads here. I'd love to hear collective opinion from those who are willing to share and whether or not Nikon bringing 36MP has really come that far!

Thanks,
Po

JimCollum

Re: Dust settled users of D800E !

Jim, I recall that Cindy bolted some Mamiya lenses on a Nikon D700, see post # 32 and 36 in this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/6749-emerging-life.html

Have you tried to do the same with your Zeiss 110/2 ?

Of course framing and DOF / look would be different like you say, but maybe still worth a try ?
yea.. have the adapter.. and shoot with it all the time (still one of my favorite lenses of all time) on the D800. Just doesn't have the same look/feel as on a larger sensor/film

markhout

A quick few thoughts about the D800E:

- I can't see what the business case was for Nikon to introduce a special "E" version
- given the resolution, autofocus is hit-and-miss fo any lens wide open
- I rediscovered manual focus lenses - some 'cheap' lenses perform admirably
- My one reason to keep using MF was bokeh and DR. Shooting ETTR addressed some of the DR challenge. Again some manual focus lenses excel in bokeh.
- Oddly I find myself cropping 4:5 aspect ratio more often - a MF (or even more ancient) residu?
- camera is now back in Melville for service - autofocus gave up. I am thinking that I did not consistently move the focus lever (on the camera body) to "MF" when I shot with a manual lens...

craigrudlin

The D800E has the resolution IF you can find a capable lens.
With the proper lens, the camera can certainly deliver the MF
character.

I have started using Leica R lenses with an adapter to glean that
special MF draw.

The DOF is reduced compared to a lower resolution DSLR; it is
indeed more like MF. This is not necessarily bad.

The issue with manual focus lenses, is that the viewfinder is NOT
the equivalent of MF cameras (e.g. a Leica S2) making it more
difficult to manually focus. "Everyone" says to use LiveView to
obtain critical focus. The problem is that this is difficult outside
in bright daylight, or outside at dawn or twilight, or... the problem
is that the LV screen does not tilt and is highly susceptible to glare,
reflections, etc. You can try to use a Hoodman, but that is awkward.

But, the D800E is a fraction (decimal place) the cost of a MF camera
such as a Leica S2.

I have made 40x60 inch prints from D800E images with no difficulty.

Shashin

The D800E is my quick and dirty camera. For important work, I use my 645D. The D800 is a great 35mm camera, but it is a 35mm camera. My RX-1 is used more than my D800--pixel aren't everything.

The D800 is a 35mm camera and so has the same DoF as any 35mm. It is a bit of a brick to hold. And the viewfinder is small so it is harder to use for MF--compared to MFD. I found AF good in the D800.

As a 35mm DSLR, it is great. If it has what you need, I would not hesitate to recommend one--I still recommend folks pick up the camera if they can because cameras can be personal. All the buttons (even compared with the 645D) are a little confusing at first and there seems to be a lot of them. But like anything, with use, you get to figure out where everything is.

There is more to format than the number of pixels it has. It is not a MFD camera--my P25+ MFDB has a richness my RX-1 does not. It is not an APS camera either. But the images from the D800 are very, very nice. Is it MFD quality? Who cares and your audience is not going to know.

jsf

Other than the perspective control I have on my 4x5 and 8x10, I have found that since the d800e I am finding no interest in going back to large format film. I am retired so no more clients as such, and the d800e has such a nice quality that I am quite happy with it. Virtually all of my lenses are very old primes which perform beautifully. I am even surprised by an old 28mm H f/3.5 which I had not expected it to perform at all. It probably depends more on what one is used to and what one expects. I still use the 4x5, with an old (Packard shutter) Cooke 13" portrait lens, but now I attach the Nikon to it and stitch landscapes with it. Joe

johnnygoesdigital

My D800 can be processed to look as good as an E model. This camera has the best dynamic range of any (including MFD) that I've used. This is important if you blow the highlights or need detail in shadows with no noise or banding.

markhout

The issue with manual focus lenses, is that the viewfinder is NOT
the equivalent of MF cameras (e.g. a Leica S2) making it more
difficult to manually focus. "Everyone" says to use LiveView to
obtain critical focus. The problem is that this is difficult outside
in bright daylight, or outside at dawn or twilight, or... the problem
is that the LV screen does not tilt and is highly susceptible to glare,
reflections, etc. You can try to use a Hoodman, but that is awkward.
Have you tried a electronic viewfinder? It is awkward too, and clumsy, but works very nicely. See for example Overview | SmallHD

Quentin_Bargate

It's as good as medium format. The argument is redundant so far as I am concerned. I now rarely use my H4D-50, even in the studio. Then again, the camera I use day to day the most is the Sigma DP2M which has the finest lens/sensor combination (at low ISO) of any camera I have ever used.

-Growing availability of excellent lenses to take advantage of this sensor
-Prints compete easily with prints from my 4x5
-Non-E version can match results of E version with the right processing (meaning: AA filter is brilliantly designed)
-Automatic horizon is super cool

Surprise Likes:
-High ISO performance (never cared about this, but it's so good that it inspired a whole project)
-Auto ISO (same as above)

Dislikes:
-Live view implementation is workable but sub-standard
-User presets are a disaster and completely unworkable
-A lot of inelegant user interface stuff
-I wish it were physically bigger, to fit a bit better in my hands

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line it's getting the job done with very little issues. But like anything else I thrown good glass at it and it does well. My stable at the moment is a 2 kit setup. I need a PR type kit so the 24-70 is a given along with the 70-200f4 but I'm not a zoom fan outside this type of work . So than I have a Samyang 14mm, Zeiss 25 F2 which I think maybe the best wide there is among them all than the Sigma 35mm 1.4 which is rated the best in that focal length, just because its small and cheap 50 1.8g which is handy sometimes. 60 macro which is very good but people ignore it. 85 1.8g which I think extremely good than on the buy books is the Zeiss 135 f2. And like to get my 200 f2 back someday. I also need the 7100 for some specific work.

Right now I want something small with a zoom Maybe Nex 7 or Fuji ex-1 I think it's called but I need to analyze these as I have not been paying any attention to this size cam. Also It has to be able to process in C1 or I won't buy it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, we have such a similar stable of lenses. I have a NEX-7 but most of the zooms are ho-hum so I just use an RX-100, which if there's even moderate light is usually good enough and often excellent.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The D800E has exceeded my expectations . My work is primarily street and travel (like a trip to Paris ) . I had quite a bit of experience with the D3X so the lens alternatives were not new to me . I have excellent eye sight and more experience with manual focus than auto focus . Tried most of the nikon and zeiss alternatives and settled on the Leica R lenses .

My current kit includes modified Leica R 19/28/50 1.4/80/100APO . I have not yet converted my telephotos from R to Nikon mounts . I work with two bodies and rarely use a tripod . Most of my work is shown in small portfolios or prints of 13x19 ...I want the aesthetic or look of the images to be very uniform . (I cant use best of class because the aesthetics are different ...although I may give the Zeiss 25/2 a try ). I mention this because the subjects you focus on and your specific output requirements have a huge impact on the camera system that works for you .

Focusing is a big issue with any DSLR than uses 36MP ..you can see the slightest miss . Standard DOF tables don t apply and hyperfocal techniques don t work . Focusing with the faster lenses is easy ....the 50 summilux is a snap . Less so with the 28 and 19 . Keep in mind my subject is normally within 20 ft and frequently closer than 10ft ..so its pretty big on the screen . I use techniques similar to my M rangefinder ..I look for an edge to make sure I am close and then I check in front and behind the subject (focus on the eye check the nose and ear ) . AF is about 10-15% better but AF lenses don t meet my desired aesthetic.

The higher ISO performance exceeds my expectations ...the range of 800-3200 equals evening in NYC .....in that range the perfomance is excellent . The DR and color fidelity holds up . 6400 works but you better nail the exposure as you have no latitude in post . At base ISO the IQ is the best I ve seen in Full Frame .

Color can be an issue and this would bother me if I was a landscape photographer . When I do a shoot I have to pull out the Passport Color Checker and create a color profile for each type of light . When shooting in mixed light the files are no fun . You can definitely get there but its not "straight out of the camera " at least for me in LR4. It takes some effort to neutralize the Nikon s bias toward yellow ( warm) renderings . I envy those that use Capture One or can tolerate NX2 because they seem to get a better color response than LR4 . Try processing the same files in NX2 and you will see the correct color rendering and frankly more detail (should be a separate topic).

Size ..I find the size issue to be biased by assuming the bloated heavy nikon zoom lenses . Even many of the Zeiss Zf lenses are big and heavy . With a 50 summilux R and 28 2.8 Elmarit R on two bodies without the grips ...the size is fine . They are discrete enough in the city ,not too heavy and fit my hand ( I am an XL ) . If you want AF the 1.8 lenses are all small by comparison .

There are a lot of ways to set up the D800/E and my kit is set up for a specific type of shooting . I have used the D800/E for Polo (as tough as it gets for movement and a test of any AF ) ,events (where the short AF zooms shine ) . The best Nikon ever IMHO.

pophoto

Thanks for replies everyone, there's a lot of good information to go by here.

I'd like to specifically ask: How do I process the D800 files in LR to get them like the "E" version, is it as simple as a sharpness issue, or something more involved?

Thank you!
Po

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The D800E has exceeded my expectations .
This is possibly the most succinct endorsement of this camera you can make -- and I couldn't agree more :D

Bottom line is find glass that generates the look you want, and you are off and running with no need to look back.

Oh, and I shoot both a regular D800 and a D800E -- you can process either to emulate the other for about 92% of all situations. However, each does own say 4% of the remaining situations where it excels over the other.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just as a counter point to the love fest, I sold mine.

For travel where I want long exposure or high ISO I'm happy with the D600 and 24mp. Less glass issues and no weird focus problems. The D800 does have a better AF layout though. Live view sucks on both the D600 and D800 compared to Canon so I didn't lose anything there.

For pure travel, I prefer my Fujis.

When I want the grandeur of pixels and color rendering then I'm still shooting with my Phase One IQ160 & P25+ with the DF and Alpa. No disrespect to the Nikon platform (especially as a long long term Nikon shooter) but I still prefer the big gun.

At the end of the day I suspect the biggest issue is that I just don't like 2:3 image format.

Just thought I'd shout out from the non-D800 (or ex-D800e in my case) wilderness :grin:

Last edited:
T'd like to specifically ask: How do I process the D800 files in LR to get them like the "E" version, is it as simple as a sharpness issue, or something more involved?
Here's an in-depth article on the subject.

In short, increase your sharpening radius by 0.5 pixels with the d800 vs. the d800E, and you should be very close.