The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Look" lenses for Nikon

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Figured it might be something we want to have a list of, so I'll start with mine.

So far my favorite look lenses are:

105DC. This lens is very cool. Very sharp zeroed, nice rear oof control by dialing in a minus 1 or 2 points. Front oof control somewhat iffy, depending on subject, so I avoid using it. Know that it really is just pushing the focus point to either edge of the DoF zone, but acoording to my D800/E it is spot on with it's calibration.

85/1.4G. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite lenses. The look is so good wide open, I find myself shooting it that way most of the time.

50/1.4G. It's nice wide open, but not in the same league as the 85/1.4G IMHO. It's oof rendering is busier than the manual focus 50/1.2. I don't own the 1.2 yet, but may soon -- clearly would own it if it were auto focus.

Honorable mentions:

200/2: I owned and shot it, loved the look, hated the size and weight. It's really too long for most of what I want in a look lens, but a great option if you like that focal.

85 PCE. If you count the tilted PoF effect as a look, then this is another fun option.

johnnygoesdigital

I agree on the 85mm1.4G, it's probably one of the best i've ever used. The 50mm should be part of one's kit based on price alone! Jack, is there any kind of protection on the front element of the 200mm f/2? Obviously I've not used one yet, but like this FL, but it's imperative that I have UV filter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No front protection on the 200 but you can use filters in the rear of the lens. Look up the 200 at b&h and they should show the rear filters available but I'm pretty sure it has the UV filter in it already.

jsf

I would say my favorite look lens is the 105mm f/2.5 shot wide open. However the 200mm f/4 shot wide open has the nicest rendering for some botanical shots that I do. However that said from what I have seen the 105 DC is on my list, I think that is a special lens. Joe

VINCET

Jack, agree on the 85 f1.4G. Love that lens.

I also like the Zeiss 100 ZF.2 Makro Plannar for portrait.

V

Vivek

I am not even using any Nikon bodies anymore (though I still own a few)... I think the new APO Sonnar 135/2 would a lens to watch out for.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yea, Vivek, if only the new Zeiss 135/2 APO-Sonnar were an autofocus lens, then I would indeed be very interested.

But expensive as I expect it to be, there's no way I'm going pay that kind of money for a manual focus version.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Jack, agree on the 85 f1.4G. Love that lens. (...)
+ 1

One more vote for the AF-S 1.4/85 G - it has definitely become my all time favorite and 85mm has always been a very important focal length for me.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) 50/1.4G. It's nice wide open, but not in the same league as the 85/1.4G IMHO. It's oof rendering is busier than the manual focus 50/1.2. I don't own the 1.2 yet, but may soon -- clearly would own it if it were auto focus. (...)

I hear you, Jack, it's such a pity the AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm hasn't been released in an autofocus version yet, that would be absolutely awesome.
In the meantime we'll have to do with the manual focus version.
It's a nice 'look' lens provided you succeed to nail the focus manually which isn't all that easy. Talk about a narrow DOF.
Fortunately the AI-S lens is not all that expensive and can be found used at a fair price, while waiting for the real autofocus thing.

Now, this great thread needs some illustrations :)
Some time ago I made these illustrations of the AI-S 1.2/50mm's rendition at f/1.2 - f/1.4 - f/2.0 - f/2.8 close up (just some boring test files).
Close up, it shows some very charming out of focus rendering, I think.

©lick for native sizes

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/5000 sec. at f/1.2 ISO 100 • Capture NX2

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/5000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Capture NX2

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/3200 sec. at f/2 ISO 100 • Capture NX2

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/1600 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX2

RVB

The 85 1.4G is a gem,I also like the 24 1.4G and Zeiss 21mm and 15mm too.. I was close to buying a 200f2 but it was too heavy,, much heavier than the canon version..

vieri

My pick:
- I like the 135 f2 DC a lot, same character as the 105 f2 DC Jack mentioned but a bit longer, better OOF areas and compression.
- The 85 f1.4G, no question about it. A great "look" lens.
- The 45 & 85 PC-E, and then the 24 PC-E in order of image quality, for the look experiments that the TS allows;
- If you like environmental portraits with a moderate WA, I love the 24 f1.4.

- The 50mm focal: here I'd choose the 50 f1.2, WONDERFUL character look; I had one and sold it a while ago, got into the way more practical and not too shabby 50 f1.4 G because it had AF - but will probably buy anothe r50 f1.2 very soon, I miss the look.

That's about it for me... :D

Guy Mancuso

Yea, Vivek, if only the new Zeiss 135/2 APO-Sonnar were an autofocus lens, then I would indeed be very interested.

But expensive as I expect it to be, there's no way I'm going pay that kind of money for a manual focus version.
I'm all over this lens. Just need to find one. I have a HUGE gig just for this lens. :D

Guy Mancuso

Zeiss 25 f2
Sigma 35 1.4
I actually like the 85 1.8 not as nice bokeh but actually sharper than Jacks 85 1.4 which was mine. Lol
200 f2 is untouchable in that focal length.
50mm I don't care about , hate the focal length so just got the 1.8
I want the Zeiss 135 . That will be my shining star lens

I'm going to throw in the Samyang 14mm since yea it may not be a bokeh lens but it has a look that is unique in its own super wide way.

In my hands right now the Sigma 35mm wide open is killer. As long as you can nail focus.

RVB

Lloyd Chamber's just published a test of the Zeiss 135 and it looks to be a stellar len's,possibly the best lens for a Nikon..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S
This lens has never failed me. It's almost too perfect, but I can live with that. I use it for anything; portraits, sports, events, baking cakes.... almost.

Another great lens that I don't have yet (just sold my 4/3 version) is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Since I've recently given away the 50mm f/1.8, it's time... :)

hsteeves

are there any Nikon lenses that give a unique "look" almost a signature to an image? For the most part, I'm basically seeing fast glass here or is it only fast glass that is unique in rendition?

RVB

are there any Nikon lenses that give a unique "look" almost a signature to an image? For the most part, I'm basically seeing fast glass here or is it only fast glass that is unique in rendition?
Perhaps it's because the fast glass is usually the most expensive and the most R&D goes into it..

Having said that ome of the slightly slower M glass is better than the more expensive alternative's and some people prefer Nikon's 85 1.8 to the 1.4 version.. and canon's cheaper 70-200f4 was better than the 2.8 version..

Paratom

When I was on Nikon, the 105DC was also one of my favorites.
Another special (but expensive) lens is the 28/1.4 Nikon.
The 200/2.0 I share your feelings about size.

Guy Mancuso

Perhaps it's because the fast glass is usually the most expensive and the most R&D goes into it..

Having said that ome of the slightly slower M glass is better than the more expensive alternative's and some people prefer Nikon's 85 1.8 to the 1.4 version.. and canon's cheaper 70-200f4 was better than the 2.8 version..
The 85 1.8 is really nice and I like it almost as much as the 1.4 but the 70-200 f4 is really good and a great call over the 2.8. I will have to sell mine though to get the Zeiss 135 f2 as ill have no choice since my photo budget is zero right now. The medical bills are absolutely outrageous from my wife's brain surgery. :banghead: