The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3x ?

Erik Five

AHHHHH.....My eyes. I cant see from all the noise :D :ROTFL: People have to stop looking at stuff in 1000% at 50" monitors.

J

JackieS

AHHHHH.....My eyes. I cant see from all the noise :D :ROTFL: People have to stop looking at stuff in 1000% at 50" monitors.
yep good idea

lets all pay over double for the next nikon body that comes out but without actually investigating if and why its any better

D3x = D3 and 'ctrl+alt+I'

fotografz

Come on now, just about every new digital camera launched shows initial shots that look like crap ... but, except for the bad background bokeh, the Mustang shot isn't THAT bad. That whole look is in vogue these days. So, I'd take most of this with a grain of salt.

IMO, getting into a heated debate is a waste of hot air.

What I can say, is that in most controlled Professional applications (which both these cameras are targeted at), there is no way in Hell the small sensor will run with the Big Boy H3D-II/31. I'm using a Sony A900 packed with resolution and Zeiss lenses for it ... and I use it right along side the H3D-II/31 for some work. Trust me, the H murders the Sony.

But the Sony is small, has zooms, and is faster focusing for some critical applications.

Some people have invested a lot of the newer Nikon glass, and the D3X is a plausable camera for certain work for them ... it'd be more plausable if it were priced @ about $6,700. or so.

Lars

Some people have invested a lot of the newer Nikon glass, and the D3X is a plausable camera for certain work for them ... it'd be more plausable if it were priced @ about $6,700. or so.
Nikon and Canon are no strangers to price wars - we should all sit back and enjoy the ride as the street price on 1DsIII and D3x drop towards $6K. 1DsIV is around the corner (or so the Swedish Canon rep hints in a recent interview).

M

marknorton

The Japanese do have a problem with the Yen strengthening against the Euro, USD and GBP which might explain in part the unattractive pricing of the D3x. My order for one is on hold, it came in at around £1500/$2000 more than I expected/was hoping for.

etrigan63

I had a chat yesterday with David Farkas (Dale Photo & Digital - my dealer of choice) regarding the pricing of the D3x. His point, and it's a good one, is that Nikon never really had a product before that could compete with the top-of-the-line Canon entry. The D3x is targeted directly at 1DsMkIII which, amazingly enough, costs $8000.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had a chat yesterday with David Farkas (Dale Photo & Digital - my dealer of choice) regarding the pricing of the D3x. His point, and it's a good one, is that Nikon never really had a product before that could compete with the top-of-the-line Canon entry. The D3x is targeted directly at 1DsMkIII which, amazingly enough, costs $8000.
EXACTLY. I know we'd all like cameras with 2x resolution, 1/2 the noise and 2x the speed for the same money but I simply don't understand why so many people are running around with their hair on fire complaining about the fact that Nikon announced the D3X at price parity with the 1DsIII list price. :wtf: :cussing:

I guess I'm part of the demographic for the camera because I'm predominantly a landscape shooter, I've seen the light wrt resolution (I used to shoot Mamiya 645AFD/Kodak 645M but I tired of the relative crudeness of it all compared to my Nikon DSLRs) and I'm fully vested in Nikon glass to the degree that defecting to Canon is unthinkable (flip-flopped once before - never again!). Thus, I bit the bullet and ordered my D3X :D

For low light/high ISO I'm keeping my D700 but I am selling my D3 - I think that the D700/D3x combo will be pretty much ideal.

p.s. if anyone wants a mint D3 for $3500 PM me :thumbup:

woodyspedden

The Japanese do have a problem with the Yen strengthening against the Euro, USD and GBP which might explain in part the unattractive pricing of the D3x. My order for one is on hold, it came in at around £1500/$2000 more than I expected/was hoping for.
Mark

Great to see you here at GetDpi!

I am looking forward to your disassembling the D3X to see how it all works! LOL

But seriously I look forward to your contributions here. You are a real resource for all of us.

Woody

etrigan63

Graham,
your offer of the D3 is highly tempting as I am looking for a full frame Nikon for my architecture/landscape stuff. However, the D700 is more in my budget, plus it appears that I'm going to be sought for event photography as well so my D300 has to stay because of it's reach.