The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 G

scho

I just received this lens today and took it to the market for some testing with the D800e. Pleasantly surprised by the image quality from this consumer class zoom. No significant fringing and minor CA easily corrected in LR. Some slight distortion, but no profile available yet for this lens in LR for correction. Corners have slight softness, but acceptable for my purposes with this lens. I ran a few series of shots at varying focal lengths and all look fine with no surprises. Here are two shots (click for full size original) from the testing runs.

Market interior 21mm f/11

Market dock 18mm f/11

Here is a link to the focal length test series for the 18-35 G. Five images for each scene at 18, 21, 24, 28, and 35 mm. All on tripod, ISO 100, f/11, batch processed in LR4.4RC (no lens profile), and exported to web.

Last edited:

scho

Carl, how's the lens after some more use now?
I still like it. Doesn't have the bite or micro contrast of some primes within this range, but otherwise no complaints about sharpness, distortion, etc.

scho

Here are a few more images taken today with the 18-35 G at various focal lengths on the D800e. All handheld on a waterfront walkabout. Click images for larger 50% reductions of originals.

stenrasmussen

Here are a few more images taken today with the 18-35 G at various focal lengths on the D800e. All handheld on a waterfront walkabout. Click images for larger 50% reductions of originals.

Thanks for showing the images. Seems like a good WA Zoomer - apart from the first and last pics which demonstrate quite strange distortion characteristics :D