The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 70-200mm f/4 on D800 for events

pophoto

Hi Guys,

I have a question about the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 on D800/E for events.

I wonder how many of you are satisfied with shooting combination at events and can safely put away the f/2.8 VRII version of this range.

Any experiences welcome. I know there's the price and weight saving gain from this lens, but I wonder if I will be missing the f/2.8 enough to forgo the extra stop.

Thanks
Po

Dustbak

I have tried the 4.0 with Judo competitions but found the results were less than with the 2.8. More OOF images, the AF in the 2.8 is better suited for this and the extra stop also helps. If your events do not involve fast moving people it just might work. Quality of the 4.0 I find really nice, at 200mm it renders more painterly than the 2.8 IMO. Kind of a subjective assessment I know but I cannot describe it elsewise.

pophoto

I have tried the 4.0 with Judo competitions but found the results were less than with the 2.8. More OOF images, the AF in the 2.8 is better suited for this and the extra stop also helps. If your events do not involve fast moving people it just might work. Quality of the 4.0 I find really nice, at 200mm it renders more painterly than the 2.8 IMO. Kind of a subjective assessment I know but I cannot describe it elsewise.
Thank you, I guess if you are depending on the lens to get the shot as you have described, it will be a disappointment. I've heard good things about the image quality, and the obvious aspects of the lens! Thanks for sharing.