The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rokonon 24 TS

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jack, I was going to but Roger Cicala just published a quick first look and I changed my mind....

torger

Here's resolution shots by digital picture made on a 1Ds3 (21 megapixel) on the samyang, here compared with the Nikon PC-E 24 on a D3s (24 megapixel, ie tiny bit smaller pixel pitch):

Samyang 24 tilt-shift vs Nikon PC-E 24

note that there seems to be an error when you choose +12 or -12 shift sometimes show supersharp images (could be some web browser caching bug on my side though) so you need to look at both +12 and -12 to and pick the worst :)

In medium format terms +12mm shift means +17mm for 48x36mm sensors and +19mm for 54x41mm sensors. You can look at the more normal shifts 6mm instead (ie corresponding 8mm / 9mm on medium format).

You can also compare to the Canon TS-E 24mm II which currently is "as good as it gets", I own that myself and consider f/10 to be ideal shooting aperture on that, it's not really an f/8 lens.

A few comments on the results: The Samyang is really bad wide open, maybe so bad that it can make focusing on live view difficult especially with the lens shifted? Stopped down to normal shooting apertures it looks decent, but at the extreme 12 mm shift still the Nikon has better contrast and sharpness. The Nikon has more chromatic aberration but that is quite easily fixed in post-processing while the general fuzz of the Samyang is harder to sharpen. At the more normal 6mm shift and f/11 the Samyang looks quite good actually, *maybe* better than the Nikon depending on sample variations, but you need to stop down because at f/8 the Nikon has the advantage again.

Good price/performance of the Samyang, and great to have independent tilt/shift, but a small step down in image quality from the Nikon PC-E 24, except possible with smaller shift at f/11.

torger

Forgot to mention that the Samyang has 2.3% barrel distortion, not an extreme value but I'd say enough to require correction in architecture and similar work.

As a comparison, the Canon TS-E 24II has 0.9%, Nikon PC-E 1.4%. Compared to medium format technical camera lenses we have Rodenstock Digaron-W 40 (about same FoV on 54x41mm) at 1.3% and Schneider 35mm at 0.5%.

mbroomfield

It seems to me that the lens is badly decentered, -12 pretty good (v.slightly better than the Canon) but +12 pretty bad. I had cancelled my backorder but if both shifts were as good as -12 I'd probably reorder

Here's resolution shots by digital picture made on a 1Ds3 (21 megapixel) on the samyang, here compared with the Nikon PC-E 24 on a D3s (24 megapixel, ie tiny bit smaller pixel pitch):

Samyang 24 tilt-shift vs Nikon PC-E 24

note that there seems to be an error when you choose +12 or -12 shift sometimes show supersharp images (could be some web browser caching bug on my side though) so you need to look at both +12 and -12 to and pick the worst :)

In medium format terms +12mm shift means +17mm for 48x36mm sensors and +19mm for 54x41mm sensors. You can look at the more normal shifts 6mm instead (ie corresponding 8mm / 9mm on medium format).

You can also compare to the Canon TS-E 24mm II which currently is "as good as it gets", I own that myself and consider f/10 to be ideal shooting aperture on that, it's not really an f/8 lens.

A few comments on the results: The Samyang is really bad wide open, maybe so bad that it can make focusing on live view difficult especially with the lens shifted? Stopped down to normal shooting apertures it looks decent, but at the extreme 12 mm shift still the Nikon has better contrast and sharpness. The Nikon has more chromatic aberration but that is quite easily fixed in post-processing while the general fuzz of the Samyang is harder to sharpen. At the more normal 6mm shift and f/11 the Samyang looks quite good actually, *maybe* better than the Nikon depending on sample variations, but you need to stop down because at f/8 the Nikon has the advantage again.

Good price/performance of the Samyang, and great to have independent tilt/shift, but a small step down in image quality from the Nikon PC-E 24, except possible with smaller shift at f/11.

torger

It seems to me that the lens is badly decentered, -12 pretty good (v.slightly better than the Canon) but +12 pretty bad. I had cancelled my backorder but if both shifts were as good as -12 I'd probably reorder
I don't think it's decentering, but some wrong in the images. The -6 and -12 don't even show the same distortion, my guess is that the wrong images have been stored, those images look unreasonably good for maximum shift for any lens.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yup, something's wrong with that test or with the way the images have been loaded... I also suspect that they have used LV to refocus each of the centre/corner/edge shots because they Nikon has more curvature than that in my experience...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, love the all new improved avatar, the old one was just so Bullingdon Club :grin:
To my eternal social shame, I was never a member. Had I been, I'd probably be prime minister now, rather than a tired old photo hack...