The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm 1.4 Lens Tests

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'll start here without the comparison to the 24-70 Nikon and add that later with different images. Tech data shot with a D800E on tripod in live view and manual focus with Hoodman loupe. I am focused directly on the Duke sign and specifically on the C in chop. Now the left and right crops the curbing is about 6 inches shorter but if you see the tile meet the concrete on the bottom that really is the focus point on the left and right crops. Im really after here are my left and rights sides equal at a given aperture as I had issues with a older lens that had asymmetrical problems. But this new lens is looking really good if anything i would give a very slight advantage to the right side. I shot from 1.4 down to F11 and at F11 you start seeing diffraction. This is one sharp lens as you can see. I did use a standard sharpening of 225,.06,1 in C1. My outdoor landscape setting

Here it is at 5.6 the whole scene. As you will see in the crops 5.6 is amazing all around the frame.

Guy Mancuso

Im actually going to start in the middle of the aperture zone of 5.6 as early on I can it is very good right in the sweet spot of the lens and sharp all around.

Guy Mancuso

Here at 1.4 I see the left side a touch weaker than the right side. Okay this is 1.4 you expect better than this your crazy. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I'm jumping right to F4 which is most likely one of the most used apertures as it covers yourself when working fast and all the corners have pretty much hit the mark. Notice the center crop has not progressed much better than F2. Sign of a great lens

Guy Mancuso

This lens is stellar and looking at these I maybe a touch sharper than normal but you get a good idea.

Okay Im hungry and lunch is calling enjoy. BTW it smokes my Nikon 24-70 at the same focal length. I will get to that at some point.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you for sharing that Guy: it confirms my desire to pursue a good copy now that I know such a thing exists.

Your shots in such strong light also confirm to me something very special about this lens, which is its ability to give an overall look of being quite contrasty but to quietly get on with the difficult job of lighting the shadows somehow. Sure, that's partly a d800 trick, but I have often noticed the Siggy working hard to find light in the shadows.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's one for you Guy, shot at f4:

Focus on the plaque. The full sized version is here...

What do you think?