The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who needs AF? Zeiss 35mm 1.4 just rocks!

dmeckert

i do!!

at least, on modern 35mm. parted with a tremendous zeiss 100/2 makro over the lack of AF actually. :( (and i don't shoot enough 35mm film with a split prism to warrant a $1200+ lens. lol)

i'm a huge fan of the Zeiss glass though. often they manage to get the look and the resolution. which it seems you've tapped into quite effectively. quite the character there too. :D

possibly my favorite manual lens is a Minolta 135/2.8 i picked up for my students to use. sharp as you could want, and lovely OOF rendering. i was dumbfounded that $30 on ebay would produce such quality. lol

i have to say though...there's nothing quite as thrilling as knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that you've got critical focus, on the ground glass of a LF camera. just getting back into LF after 7 years without it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I loved the 35/1.4 and I've bought and sold it twice due to the challenges of focusing with that lens' field curvature. To totally nail it I'd have to resort to live view and so in the end I traded over to a Nikon 35/1.4 for the convenience.

Great lens and wonderful rendering but not the easiest to focus in my experience at least.