The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon refurb lenses--good or bad idea?

BobDavid

I am thinking about purchasing a $1,500 lens from the Nikon outlet store. It is a refurb. Nikon only gives a 90 day warranty on refurbs. If a lens or camera doesn't function correctly, it has to go back to Nikon for repairs. You cannot simply exchange it for another. Has anyone out there had experience, good or bad, with buying refurb Nikon equipment?

Jeremy

I've spent more than that on a used lens with a 7-day return policy and no warranty, just test the bejeezus out of the lens when you first get it.

I have a friend with a refurb Nikon D700 and he has had zero issues with it.

Shac

Ive bought a D700 refurbished body (must have been 4 years ago??) - absolutely no problems. My understanding on refurbished is that unlike one new in box, the refurbished has been checked, whereas quality control checks for new items are not 100% - hence refurbished can be safer.
Go for it - check it out when you get it

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Generally, I would rather buy a refurb camera or lens than a new one. A refurb unit is one that may have had a problem but have, at least in theory, been checked, repaired and then checked again. A new one should, also in theory, be without problems, but in reality, it's something that is produced in quantities in some third world country and where quality control is never more than "good enough". For Nikon as well as most other camera manufacturers, it's cheaper to have a customer complaint and replacing a camera/lens now and then than facing the cost of "real" quality control. And as Leica has proved several times; even that doesn't always work out completely.

woodleica

I just bought a refurb lens and camera ( d800 ). The camera had enough cosmetic issues that I returned it. The lens looked like brand new. My guess is - luck of the draw - make sure the dealer has a return policy.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've had good experience with Cameta and refurb bodies in the past. My view on refurbs is that it's a warranty trade off but as others mentioned it also means that your item has been checked and double checked which is more than can often be said for 'new' items.

Some people just like to be the first one to open the box (popping tags?). A refurb can be as simple as an open box item from a major outlet like Amazon that can't be sold as new afterwards or something that needed inspection and/or simple adjustment. It really depends.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm feeling like a refrubished factory myself. LOL

I might go after another D800e when I get some cash.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You certainly are my best customer my friend. I can actually look up to you as my gear head slut whore role model. With love my friend. LOL

DDudenbostel

Generally, I would rather buy a refurb camera or lens than a new one. A refurb unit is one that may have had a problem but have, at least in theory, been checked, repaired and then checked again. A new one should, also in theory, be without problems, but in reality, it's something that is produced in quantities in some third world country and where quality control is never more than "good enough". For Nikon as well as most other camera manufacturers, it's cheaper to have a customer complaint and replacing a camera/lens now and then than facing the cost of "real" quality control. And as Leica has proved several times; even that doesn't always work out completely.
Same here. You know that a refurb has been checked thoroughly and new may only be spot checked.

My 16-35 F4 is a refurb and no issues.

All the Mac computers I buy are refurbs too.

dogstarnyc

Bought a refurbed D90 back in the day from Adorama, came with a kit lens, 6 months warranty.
That was 3 yrs ago, maybe 4, the camera has not missed a beat, every frame written to every card put through it.
Just bought a D800E and would have bought a refurb if they had any in stock. Logic says all those early models sent back with focus issues will have been fixed, checked and sold as perfectly good refurbs.

S

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I don't think refurbs are inspected more than superficially. I have two refurb lenses bought from Nikon, both of which needed service. Sent them in and they came back optically perfect. No complaints from me!

I don't think refurbs are inspected more than superficially. I have two refurb lenses bought from Nikon, both of which needed service. Sent them in and they came back optically perfect. No complaints from me!
I had the same experience with new Nikon lenses. Refurbs may get inspected as thoroughly as new ones. If they are, this still isn't saying much.

I'd get a refurb if the discount were lucrative enough, and if I'd have the opportunity to test the bejeezus out of it during the reduced warranty period. Nikon QC has me a bit paranoid. As does the cost of out-of -warranty service.

I bought my last nikkor lens new. I hate buying new lenses. But even used ones of this model only cost 10% less. I ended up sending the thing in for service twice for mechanical issues, so having the full warranty was worth it for some peace of mind.

Oren Grad

I'm late to this thread but figured I'd add my $0.02. I bought a 17-35/2.8 AF-S refurb in late 2007. It was a Nikon refurb with 90-day warranty, obtained from an authorized dealer. It's turned out to be a workhorse for me, doing double-duty as a wide-to-normal on APS-C digital and an ultrawide-to-wide on film. No problems with either performance or reliability in all this time.

I'd consider refurb again if the discount were high enough. Refurb prices in the Nikon USA store these days aren't always particularly attractive; you may do better at one of the dealers.

Tektrader

I just had to take my bargain refurb 24-70 2.8 back. Unable to be micro focus adjusted. It was beyond -20.

Should be back in a day or so. Looked pretty sharp from what I could see.

I just ordered a refurb 14-24. I first checked with Roger at lensrentals.com. He said they've had virtually no serious problems with that lens, so I felt pretty confident. I'd be more hesitant with some other models.