The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E - First Impressions from an Amateur's POV

jaree

I own the M9 and assorted Leica M lenses. Earlier I used to own Sony A850 with some nice Zeiss lenses. I just had to check out what is all the hype around D800E. Rented the camera and the new Nikon 70-200 F4 this past weekend.

First impressions:

AF misses by a mile even when using single point center AF. Not sure if this was my particular sample of camera or lens or both but in any case, AF just did not seem to be precise even in good light. Live view is useless in bright light as the LCD just washes out in sunlight. Anything below eye level and you have to have really strong legs to do acrobatics as the LCD does not articulate.

But....and it is a big BUT, when I switched to using MF with magnified LV + 3sec delay with mirror lock-up, the results were just astounding. And it is not just the resolution. The color, clarity, the ability of the files to be pushed hard is amazing. Wow, just wow.

The camera body is surprising lightweight for its capabilities, but obviously with a zoom it becomes quite substantial to carry around. I hiked for around 4 hours with the D800E + 70-200 F4 + M9/3 lenses + one tripod without issues, so it is definitely a viable proposition especially for car trips.

For me, a perfect complement to the M9.

To buy or not to buy.....that is the question....life is hard.

Web images really do not do justice to the results I see in full glory on my monitor.

PA RT6 by brownxy, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73174055@N05/

Last edited:

Photojazz

This is a pretty nice photo at this way overall image, as in the ground covered, you have what, half a state there? LOL. What I am saying is, it's not really a fair shot, as nice as it is, to make a decision to buy a camera or not. Don't put that much demands on the camera, to overcome air clarity, tremendous depth of field differences, etc... But this image is nice.

My D800E is in transit for estimated Friday arrival. Should be fun.

jaree

This is a pretty nice photo at this way overall image, as in the ground covered, you have what, half a state there? LOL. What I am saying is, it's not really a fair shot, as nice as it is, to make a decision to buy a camera or not. Don't put that much demands on the camera, to overcome air clarity, tremendous depth of field differences, etc... But this image is nice.

My D800E is in transit for estimated Friday arrival. Should be fun.
Maybe you are mistaking this scene for Rhode Island, in which case yes, it is probably half the state. Unless you never print larger than 4x6, this scene is actually very demanding. Much more demanding than picture of a single barn or a horse from close up where a LX3 can do a fine job. You will understand when you get your D800E. Which lens are you planing to get?

Photojazz

I have an assortment of Nikon lenses already, as I have been Nikon longer than I have had Leica. But my selection is thinner than it used to be. I have 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VRII, 200VR, Zeiss 35, 50, 100 2.0 lenses, Nikon 24mm 1.4g, 45mm PCE, 58mm 1.2 Noct, 28mm 1.4D arriving as D800E does. I have a 135mm 2.8 prime as well Nikon. I think that covers most of my Nikon now. I have sold some other pieces recently. My big lenses, gone. 16-35VR sold. Sort of regret that, but moving on. I had Nikon pro grade cameras, gone, and I still have a gripped D700.

Doug

woodleica

I just got one after years with an M8/M9. I will always have a special need for an M ( still have an M6 ) but after some years trying to fiddle with EVIL cameras for a lightweight autofocus kit, I think the D800e is it. The newer Nikon lenses are much lighter weight than they used to be. I sold my old Nikon kit years ago, but the new 70-200 f/4 is an awesome addition for example. The 1.8G lenses are lightweight. I'm keeping my D800e for years to come and will likely add an M 240 at some point....