The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4 and Zeiss 25 f2. Amazing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have been touting the Zeiss 25mm F2 as maybe the best in this focal lengths. Finally someone sees it.

fotomerchan

Excellent!!! great detail yeah!!
Really nice lens!!!!
tell me about the Nikon D4, is it worth it?
How is its dynamic range? does it holds good details in shadows and highlights under contrasted lighting situations?
Thanks!!

thrice

I must have been spoiled by AA-less sensors.

Nice shot but the 100% crops look soft with visible CA to me.

Swissblad

I must have been spoiled by AA-less sensors.

Nice shot but the 100% crops look soft with visible CA to me.
I think your expectations are wrong - the D4 is a high frame rate high ISO machine gun for reporters or nature photographers.

Although there may be 35mm cameras with better IQ, there is no equivalent to it for this purpose.

If you want better IQ, look elsewhere.

Swissblad

Excellent!!! great detail yeah!!
Really nice lens!!!!
tell me about the Nikon D4, is it worth it?
How is its dynamic range? does it holds good details in shadows and highlights under contrasted lighting situations?
Thanks!!
See my post above - it depends what you want from this camera.

Do you need 10 frames a second with a super fast AF, good high ISO, or do you want IQ akin to what the D800/D600 yield.

Also, be aware - it is a heavy brick!

fotomerchan

Dear Swissblad,

Thank you for answering,
well i shot a lot of musicians on stage using concert lighting, i need a good LOW NOISE reduction in High ISO´s to freeze the action, but also need to avoid color over saturation.I also shot products, landscapes and portraits. In other words, I need something like Fuji Velvia (film) to equal the colors and depth, and the latitude of the KODAK TRI-X.(like 5 to 8 stops) I don´t ask you for something similar to the KODACHROME 64 because I don´t really know if that quality on digital has being all ready achieved!!! I´m still very disappointed with digital Sensors!! to me, they are good with low lighting conditions, but not with the colors,depth and latitude that film produces, I´m looking for the closest thing I could find compared to 35mm and 4x5 film. Thank you.

Swissblad

Hi Fotomerchan

I have used a D4 on and off a few times - it is an amazing camera - the AF is blazingly fast - and the low light ISO is very good. I think you will like it a lot for your kind of concert / stage work.
For landscapes - it beats my D700 - which was a very impressive camera when it came out.

Nice to chat to somebody who still used film - brings back memories.

Hasta luego, S.