The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SmallHD DP4 on D800?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
So, finally got around to ordering one of these, mainly to use with the AFD 200/4 macro. Will post a short review and some pics of the setup when it arrives...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Just received it, and haven't had time to use it since I have to leave shortly, but first impression is that it's freaking nicely made! The viewfinder is excellent, and if I did video on a regular basis I'd absolutely love this. The bundled hot-shoe ball mount is okay, but I think I'll use a slightly sturdier one. It's really compact without the viewfinder or batteries installed - PERFECT for just slipping in a bag pocket. Only wish they would have included a matching sleeve to protect it from handling, although they do include a protective cover.

The viewfinder is held in the open position with three magnets and in the closed position with two magnets. The pupil is huge and the eye cup excellent. Man, I wish 35mm DSLRs had eyepieces like this...

Quickly brought up the menus and poked around a little. It has exposure warnings (false color), focus peaking, etc. It has a ton of user presets that can quickly be switched between. Pretty nifty little thing.

When I have time to look closer at it I'll post some shots of what it looks like set up on the camera on a tripod and a more detailed review. But first impressions are very positive!