The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Picture Controls on RAW files?

etrigan63

I was fiddling with Picture Controls last night and noticed that when I first imported the images into Aperture 2 the settings were applied but when I re-opened them they reverted to default RAW images. Are Picture Controls only supported by Capture NX2 or do I have to set my D300 to capture RAW+JPEG like my Leica M8?

robmac

My understanding (and I may be off on this) is that the picture control settings are unique to the Nikon-NX2 workflow - as in an instruction set passed to NX2 with each file.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
My understanding as well, but since I normally don't use anything but NX for the D300 NEF files, I might be off too. I'm deeply surprised that the settings were applied when you first imported the images into Aperture 2. What happens to the settings if you immediately save the NEF file - as a NEF file ?

etrigan63

Steen,
the Picture Controls appear to be applied to the embedded JPEG file which reverts to normal when Aperture reopens the file. I am wondering if anyone here has an NX2 license they are not using that I could buy cheap.

Plus Aperture 2 just messed me up royally as it decided on it's own to copy my files into a folder on my hard drive instead of accessing them from their locations. I have close to 4000 photos jammed into a folder besides living in their appropriate locations and it is eating up an additional 30GB of drive space. If I delete the folder then Aperture will lose it's references and that is going to be a mess.

I have no idea what to do.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Carlos, not much help if you're using Aperture but both Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4 support Camera Profiles. For Nikon cameras, there are three D2X modes and five Camera modes (Landscape, Neutral, Standard, Portrait, Vivid) which can be accessed via the Calibration panel in either application. (There's a screenshot showing the beta versions with this weblog post.) So, although the your camera's Picture Control settings aren't accessible as they are in Capture NX, you can quickly easily get a much better starting point than is possible with the default ACR setting.

woodyspedden

Steen,
the Picture Controls appear to be applied to the embedded JPEG file which reverts to normal when Aperture reopens the file. I am wondering if anyone here has an NX2 license they are not using that I could buy cheap.

Plus Aperture 2 just messed me up royally as it decided on it's own to copy my files into a folder on my hard drive instead of accessing them from their locations. I have close to 4000 photos jammed into a folder besides living in their appropriate locations and it is eating up an additional 30GB of drive space. If I delete the folder then Aperture will lose it's references and that is going to be a mess.

I have no idea what to do.
Carlos

I would buy a low cost HDD and copy that folder to it. At least you would have a back up if somehow Aperture lost its references. What a mess!

Woody

etrigan63

Thanks Woody. I will probably back them up to my Windows Home Server which has 3TB of storage on it.

Also, I tried the LR2 Camera Profiles and it's missing the one I wanted to try - Monochrome. I realize I could do it with SilverFX Pro, but I like the notion of the image being captured in B&W. I may have to switch to RAW+JPEG mode like in my M8 for B&W in camera.