The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is there a way to use the Zeiss contax PC Distagon on a D800 ?

archivue

it looks like, leitax doesn't work for that lens !

garybrook

I still have several Contax C/Y AE lenses with the 'wide' mount and I have the same issue as you do with your PC. In theory all can be adapted, but they require a lot of time redesigning the mount, plenty of machining .... and then money - as long as you don't need infinity focus or movement of the rear lens element mount.

I've used a couple of those lenses with a simple thin C/Y-Nikon F adapter mount, but those lenses are macro lenses (60/100mm) so infinity wasn't needed. It just meant how much focusing distance you needed. I have a similar adapter to use my Canon FD 200/4 Macro lens on the same Nikon bodies, as does a Contax Bellows as it gives some tilt and shift movement, so does the Nikon Bellows PB-4. Unfortunately, using most lenses adapted to the bellows don't have the same coverage as the PC lenses do.

I hope this is useful to you, unless this is less clear than my mud. I'm sure that the Contax PC/Zeiss is excellent, but all these complications could be avoided easier by just buying a well-used early Canon EOS 5D body, or a 1Ds. Regards,

Gary.

archivue

I'm sure that the Contax PC/Zeiss is excellent, but all these complications could be avoided easier by just buying a well-used early Canon EOS 5D body, or a 1Ds. Regards,

Gary.
i've used to have a 5D and a 5D mark II... then i've bought an aptus 22... then an aptus II 7...

to be honest, ( for my use... ) the files from the D800 have nothing to do with the ones from the 5DII !
i won't buy a 5D anymore !

garybrook

Fair enough - especially that I know what you've been through - and I was wandering at the end, so I'll leave you alone as the issue is known and complex. If the Leitax owner has a suggestion, he has a lot of experience with the C/Y mounts and his adapters. He and I exchanged emails several years ago about the difference the narrow and wide C/Y mounts, and I still have my AE 35/1.4 Distagon that can't be adapted, without machining that lens which I won't, to my Nikon body. Good luck.

sisoje

it looks like, leitax doesn't work for that lens !
I am in exactly same situation!
After going from Canon to Nikon, I sold off all my Canon/Contax lenses except this one. It was my workhorse for interiors. There is no lens in this focal LENGHT that is close to this lens and with Nikon mount.

I just sent the email to Leitax. Let's see what they will say. If it is not possible, sadly this Distagon will be for sale...

sisoje

Here is the answer from Leitax:

"
Hello Steven,

I'm sorry. I think it is not possible to use this lens on a Nikon camera.

Best Regards, David
www.leitax.com"

My PC-Distagon 35mm is for sale!

archivue

if i was schneider, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was rodenstock, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was nikon, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was zeiss, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was sigma, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was ......, i will design a 35 PC...

for the current Digital bodies !

But i'm just a photographer ;-(

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
if i was schneider, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was rodenstock, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was nikon, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was zeiss, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was sigma, i will design a 35 PC...
if i was ......, i will design a 35 PC...

for the current Digital bodies !

But i'm just a photographer ;-(
Plus make it with an image circle big enough and munt options so that it could be used on a medium format system too. Hartblei managed that in the past.