The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma 24-105mm lens

Hulyss Bowman

From CEO, Kasuto Yamaki :

"Last evening (Japan time), Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art was was accidentally disclosed on Sigma Global website."

"We originally planned to announce it several days later. The preliminary page was disclosed by accident. I apologize to our valued customers."

"The page included some wrong info as to the products. We're now working to expedite the announcement for the correct information."

"I would truly appreciate it if customers could understand the situation and wait for the official announcement. Thank you very much."

jduncan

Just saw this announcement on NR:

Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM lens leaked, already listed on Sigma's website | Nikon Rumors

This could be a very interesting alternative to the Nikon 24-120mm, and perhaps even the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8.

Looks like Sigma really want to push optical quality!

Agree. It seems Nikon has to up their game. I was looking at the review of the new 200-400mm from Canon and it's superb. The Nikon is good but is just the "add Nano Crystal to the old design" method of designing new lenses. The performance is so good that it basically match the resolution of the 5D III. When the next generation high resolution Canon body comes it will be in a decisive advantage against Nikon if they don't do something with thier lenses.

The price in the other hand ....

Sigma has moderated prices so I hope this Sigma is good. I am waiting for the next generation 70-200mm from sigma. The Nikon is not really a 200mm at the range I normally use it (dance in little theaters) and is expensive. Tammy,is very good but a lot of vignetting. I will like to see the performance of the next generation Sigma before committing.

Best regards,
J. Ducnan

Swissblad

I was just looking at the MTF curves:

vs those from the Nikon 24-70mm:

and

The Sigma actually looks quite OK.

will have to see what real life examples look like.

Hulyss Bowman

I was just looking at the MTF curves:

vs those from the Nikon 24-70mm:

and

The Sigma actually looks quite OK.

will have to see what real life examples look like.

"The page included some wrong info as to the products. We're now working to expedite the announcement for the correct information."

Swissblad

We'll have to wait and see what was wrong - and what is correct.

I'm using the current issue of their 150 mm Macro lens - and it is optically a stunner - so I'm curious to see what this lens will be like.

Swissblad

Thanks Tashley!!

Actually IMHO that doesn't look bad at all.

I'm curious to see the 1st official reports....

dmeckert

if this one ends up anywhere near the quality level of the 18-35 and 35, it will probably be on my short list for work when a zoom is needed.

Swissblad

Sigma states they designed this lens with their 46mp sensor in mind - so I'm very curious to see what the quality will be like.
It could be a vary handy walk-around lens.