The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D610

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

At first glance I thought it might be Karl Isakson, but then, the labels were sharp enough to see its the Swane family at Malergaarden. I have to go there next time I'm at Tuse Näs.
Lovely colours/saturation/light! You don't seem to need a D800E/810, even though Tim's pictures are sparkling/tempting.
thorkil

Yes, Thorkil, I can highly recommend going there, that place has a very strong atmosphere and wonderful paintings and beautiful lighting all over the place.
And it looks like if the family has just left for a short errand.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I do realize that these are probably rather boring unless you are fascinated by beautiful old houses in classical architecture, like I am. Here Moesgård.

Still, they may at least add to the illustration of the D610 image rendering in general .

©lick for actual pixels

© • All with Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • Capture NX-D 1.0

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

a couple more

©lick for actual pixels

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

and finally ...
ok, I promise to stop now .-)

©lick for actual pixels

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks a lot, Matto, much appreciated.

Old houses have so much atmosphere, feels like they each have their own soul and personality.

And it's a joy when they are so beautifully restored like this one.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

:thumbup: thank you, my friend

- - -

here's something different, just for the wide-open-fun of the old AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.2

(Richs was a very popular Danish coffee substitute during the Second World War)

©lick for native size

© • Nikon D610 • AI-S Nikkor 1.2/50mm • 1/320 sec. at f/1.2 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0

ray*j*gun

I do not post often although I have been a member for a while.....I just upgraded to a D610 from a D90 as I have been (and still am) mostly a film shooter. So far the only lenses I have that work on FX (without the crop to 10mp) are my film Nikors. My go to lens has been an AIs 1,2 50mm which is wonderful but I would like an AF lens to use as well. A zoom would be nice to have but I'm more interested in pic IQ. I have read the material on DXOmark but would like a hands on opinion on which lenses seem to work the best on this marvelous camera.

Thanks!!

Ray

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
cheap optics on digital high-resolution cameras

Hi Ray, let me show you a funny example.
I have two samples of the old AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 normal prime (the late version with short nose).
It's one of the cheapest old AI-S lenses on the market.

I once used one of the two samples of that lens mounted on a D800E to photograph this line-up of my other 50mm primes, at f/5.6.
The second picture is a test shot with that same old and cheap lens, this time wide open, and again on a 36 Mp D800E.
I think this illustrates that even cheap, old F-mount primes work quite well on today's modern, digital high-resolution cameras.

My point is that whatever lump of glass you mount on your new d610, I guess you'll most likely enjoy the results with aberrations and weaknesses and all (at least as long as they are primes, I don't know much about zoom lenses).
So I suggest you just start by using what F-mount FX lenses you already have and then add some more along the way after your needs as well as your preferences with regards to optical quality and personality.
Just my 0.02 rupees

P.S. enjoy your new D610, Ray, it's an amazing camera

©lick for native sizes

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm • 1/8 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3

© • Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm • 1/100 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3

© • captured with Nikon D300 + AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/125 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

ray*j*gun

Thank you Steen for your comments. I completely agree that the legacy lenses seem to work well on the D610. So far I have used my 50mm1,2 AIs and my 105 AIs with great results. I used to use those on my old D90 and liked the results even on that camera. I plan to try all the old film glass and see how each feels. Having said that I think I will purchase the DXOmark recommended 50mm AF-D lens which is supposed to be very sharp and which can be had at B&H for $109 delivered! This way I'll have an AF lens for the days when I just want to dial over to "P" and point and shoot. And, the D version will let my use it on my old F-Photomic and my Nikkormats.....are we having fun or what!!!

archivue

the 50 1.8G Nikon is cheap,sharp… and AF…

Still, i think that Sigma ART 35 and 50 are really good lenses… but quite big… !

ray*j*gun

Does anyone have experience using the Flexible P mode on the D610 (page 75 of the manual)? When I turn the Main Command dial on the 610 the little *P shows up on the info screen but I can not adjust the aperture as indicated by the manual. I use to use this option on my D7000 but on the 610 it doesn't seem to respond. I am using my new Nikon 50mm-D AF lens set on F22 (and locked). Is this a faulty example of the 610?

Thanks!

Ray

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Could it perhaps be due to lack of light ?

I just tried it out with my (only) AF-D lens, 35mm f/2 D.
It does work, though at this time of the year in cloudy weather it is so dark that most of the time I cannot adjust the aperture all that far away from wide open.
But if I point the camera directly into a light source, I can adjust the aperture freely using the main dial (on the back). You could try that ?

Otherwise I suggest you try to start all over again, turning off the camera, re-attaching the lens firmly, locking the aperture firmly, turning the camera on and try again.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about this Programmed Auto mode.
I have actually never used the P-setting before, because I prefer to stay in control of the exposure combination.
I rarely leave Aperture-Priority mode.

ray*j*gun

Thanks Steen,

I spoke to a Tech guy at B&H and we figured out the issue. When you use Auto ISO which I had activated (I'm fooling around with all the menus as a l;earning method) it disables the Flexible P mode. It would have been nice if the manual had mentioned that. Anyway the feature does work when ISO is set at a fixed number.

Thanks

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Congratulations on your new D610, Matto, looking forward to see how it works for you :thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

A politician meets the crowd in the street at night.

For wide open night shots, ISO 6400 is definitely useable, here going Black&White instead of using Noise Reduction.

Capture NXD >> Picture Control = Monochrome >> Toning = Sepia >> Toning Saturation =1
as per Jack's recommendation :)
thank you, Jack, best hint in a long time :thumbup:

©lick for actual pixels (9.7 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 6400 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

And another young, local politician is interviewed at the same gathering in the street.

Again: ISO 6400 and AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G wide open, no noise reduction.

©lick for actual pixels (11.2 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/320 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 6400 • Capture NX-D 1.0.3