The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

jonoslack

So, no rewinder crank and the rear LCD is there Is it color or monochrome?
Sure it'll be colour - mind you, if it were me I'd make a colour one and a monochrome one (to keep everyone happy).

I'm sure it'll have Auto Focus too.

Looks like a retro body wrapped around a modern camera to me (a la OMD).

Oh Well.

sisoje

I like everything I've seen so far. Since going back to Nikon last spring (D800), I was looking for second body. D600 was a no, D4 was a no (after huge 1Ds, never again "pro size" body in my bag), so this one was a "god sent"... My only hope is that it is a "few megapixels more" then 16... Just around 24 (as I found that resolution ideal from using 5D MKII for years and M240 now). Love the retro!

Popcorn anybody?

M

mjr

It looks depressingly like a standard dslr with a squarer retro looking prism to me, I hope there's more to it than that. The shutter speed dial looks nice but surely there's more!

V

Vivek

I really don't care how ugly it looks like (or even the sensor) or the number of buttons it has. All I want is the monochrome bit. If it does not offer that, I have no interest at all.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:lecture:
I really don't care how ugly it looks like (or even the sensor) or the number of buttons it has. All I want is the monochrome bit. If it does not offer that, I have no interest at all.
I'm right there with you. But I shoot the D800e at a cheaper price so this would have to be very special at 3k. Monochrome would do it

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm really thinking this is a monochrome and if not . Nikons marketing research sucks.
No no, they are geniuses. Think about it, a worst case scenario where this is just the 5 year old D700 in a slightly more compact and re-designed packaging and with a new sensor. Still, tens of thousands of photographers are waiting in anticipation. Compare that to the reactions around a certain "Moon Camera" a year or so ago. Photographers are indeed an interesting bunch :rolleyes: :ROTFL: :chug:

I do think Nikon will present a more interesting concept though, and my guess is that there's a hybrid viewfinder. Full OVF and EVF functionality would tick a lot of boxes with this photographer. In that case, there's probably video as well. Which wouldn't totally rule out monochrome of course. B&W movie anybody? But that would be too good to be true, wouldn't it?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It be nice but as someone PM'd me it maybe just to small a niche market for Nikon to do a monochrome. They are probably right too. Nikon swims in a bigger ocean than leica.

sisoje

Still in anticipation... Don't ruin my party, please.

No need for Monochrome here, I just want a second Nikon full frame that is not D800, D610 or monstrous D4...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It be nice but as someone PM'd me it maybe just to small a niche market for Nikon to do a monochrome. They are probably right too. Nikon swims in a bigger ocean than leica.
I agree too, and the logical solution would obviously be to launch two models, the DF and the DFm. The question is: Do Nikon agree too, and do they agree enough to spend money on a monochrome sensor?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
"If you don’t cannibalize yourself, somebody else will."

I

Either Nikon can take the 16 Mp sensor from their high-end FX model (D4) and strip down the DF camera's features, like:
- only 39 AF points in the center, and few of them being crosshair type
- max shutter speed of 1/4000 instead of 1/8000 sec
- the smallish EN-EL14 battery from D3200 and D5300, instead of EN-EL15 from D800 (and even from the tiny V1 for that matter).
- etc. etc.
I would regard such a camera as a deliberately crippled camera just to avoid cannibalizing the ultimate high-end FX model.
That may very well make e.g. D800 look like a far better deal.

II

Or Nikon can take the 24 Mp sensor from their low-end FX model (D610) and enhance the rest of the low-end camera's features, like:
- 51 AF points spread out as widely as possible, and many of them being crosshair type
- max shutter speed raised to 1/8000 sec
- the powerful EN-EL15 battery from D800 (and even from V1).
- etc. etc.
I would regard such a camera as a determinedly enhanced camera in order to justify a higher price point than the ultimate entry-level FX model (D610).

- - - - -

I would so much prefer that Nikon chose model II: the "enhanced camera" approach.
But according to the rumors it looks like they went with model I: the "crippled camera" approach.

Deliberately crippling a camera just to avoid cannibalizing another one of their own models is a loser strategy, in my opinion.
Instead they should be entirely focused on the competition with their real competitors: the other companies in the camera industry, and simply try to make the best bang for the buck camera.

"If you don’t cannibalize yourself, somebody else will."