The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, if it is cheaper than 3k, it is even better.

But end of the day I would prefer a slightly more expensive camera, if it is close to build quality of a Leica, compared to just cheap build!

monza

I think it will sell too, it just doesn't make sense…to me. :)

The A7 is nearly half that price and 50% more pixels. OK, so it doesn't have a 50/1.8.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The A7 is nearly half that price and 50% more pixels. OK, so it doesn't have a 50/1.8.
... and the Sony doesn't have access to a zillion native mount lenses from the last 6 decades.

This is one body that might not generate a lot of lens sales for Nikon, so making a profit on the body is probably of great importance to them.

monza

Well, the number of lenses available is debatable. It could easily be argued there are far more lenses that will work on the Sony.

Curious how many legacy Nikon lens owners Nikon thinks are out there, that have not already moved to AF, that will spend this kind of money to use their $50 Nikkors.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept. I hope they sell a ton!

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I hear you!

But same time I am skeptical about using the A7 or A7r in combination with adapters - just because I do not like adapters. As cheap alternative to a Leica M yes, but it will always be just the alternative to the original RF experience. So I am not quite sold on the Sony, but I am on the Nikon Df.

V

Vivek

Anyone interested in the remainder of my Nikkors?*

It includes a 80/2.8 AF and a 200/3.5 AF. :) Would look swell on the new DF! :)

*Still holding onto my UV-Nikkor 105/4.5. This would see a lot of action soon on the A7s. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, the number of lenses available is debatable. It could easily be argued there are far more lenses that will work on the Sony.

Curious how many legacy Nikon lens owners Nikon thinks are out there, that have not already moved to AF, that will spend this kind of money to use their $50 Nikkors.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept. I hope they sell a ton!
I believe there are still 7 AIS lenses available new from Nikon, so they probably have some kind of idea. One cool side to this camera is that it can be seen either as a pro camera or as an enthusiast camera or even as a retro fashion accessory, competing with the likes of Lunar but at a considerably lower price point.

wjlapier

I'll buy one. I still have my D700 and I can use ( focus ) my AIS lenses on it, but I'm hoping there is some sort of EVF with a split image focus "screen". I like it :clap:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Price? Who cares about price!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, my guess is Nikon is going after an elite market with this one, a-la Leica. What will be cool is if we see the lenses we all know Nikon can make if they forget the cost justifications and just build em great…

Ben Rubinstein

If they'd made the iso dial recessed, given an aperture dial and not added all those other switches and buttons belonging to a modern DSLR that would be used for sports and who knows what else, then it might have been far nicer. As it is it's a fully modern DSLR with even more dials and switches oh and a retro pentaprism. Sorry but as 'pure photography' it's a cluttered mess. I was thinking of something more like my beloved Canon A1, had both shutter and aperture priority with exposure compensation and ISO on the top dials but it's so much better done than this control mad monster.