The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Oren Grad

Sorry but as 'pure photography' it's a cluttered mess.
+1

It's a parody of the genuine article. Instead of cobbling together this Frankensteinian contraption, they should have defined the concept as "digital F3" and let Giugiaro have at it again.

Functionally, a lot rides on the viewfinder. If it doesn't come with a focusing screen tuned for manual focus of fast-aperture lenses, or interchangeable screens with a properly-tuned MF screen as an option, then all the blather about being able to use all the old lenses is just a nasty tease.

white.elephant

Also, gotta say, reading all the messages which are some variety of "If I had done this camera, I would have blah and blort..." is intensely educating and fun. It's part of what makes this community wonderful.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well someone needs to buy the damn thing and report to the community. I'm not volunteering this go round. LOL

etrigan63

"And in some of the more enlightened parts of the galaxy, 'Belgium' is a horrific swear word."

- Douglas Adams
A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Godfrey

Aesthetically, it's a mess. A prime example of "the buggers want this, throw it in" engineering. The chrome model particularly, the black isn't too horrid but it's still bad. It looks fat and bloated, festooned with doo-dads. The simple elegance of the F, F2, F3, FE series and FM series is missing. It looks like one of the modern Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang retros ... they have the overall line reminiscent of their antecedents, but they are fat and bloated with consumer desires and regulatory requirements.

Ergonomically, I'll take a breather and wait to see one before judging that.

It's unlikely I'll go for one. It would be nice ... a DF next to my F ... but frankly the E-M1 does what I want without the need to relate to something I loved in the past and the Leica M9 is my "modern retro" of the M4-2. I still have my F, I finally have my Leicaflex SL.

... and the gods know I have FAR more equipment than I need already. :)

G

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) Seriously, my guess is Nikon is going after an elite market with this one, a-la Leica. What will be cool is if we see the lenses we all know Nikon can make if they forget the cost justifications and just build em great…

So far a lot of the rumoured specifications seem to indicate a somewhat more calmly balanced 'low-end' FX product rather than a high-end product, imho.

NB, let's not forget that so far all these specs are only rumours:

the same low-end FX AF point layout as in the D610 with 39 points, instead of the more wide-spread 51 AF point layout

only one SD memory card slot, instead of dual slots

only 2016-pixel RGB image sensor, instead of the high-end 91000-pixel RGB sensor

the good 'old' Expeed 3 processor, instead of the new Expeed 4 processor from e.g. D5300

the weaker EN-EL14 battery from e.g. D3200, instead of the more powerful EN-EL15 that even finds room in the tiny V1

only 1/4000 max shutter speed, instead of 1/8000 like in e.g. D7100 at base ISO 100

no built-in flash costs

no video costs

Logically all these choices ought to indicate a somewhat modest FX price point.

white.elephant

... and the gods know I have FAR more equipment than I need already. :)

G
Godfrey, I'd wager everyone posting on this thread does as well.

I certainly do.

But, for me, right now, who doesn't own a digital Nikon (only film Nikons) and, who DOES shoot digital (Fuji's), I want one.

monza

Functionally, a lot rides on the viewfinder. If it doesn't come with a focusing screen tuned for manual focus of fast-aperture lenses, or interchangeable screens with a properly-tuned MF screen as an option, then all the blather about being able to use all the old lenses is just a nasty tease.
Yes, it all comes down to this.

The rest is just like Taco Bell…take the same ingredients and mix them up in different ways. :)

FM pentaprism, buttons and dials ala F4, and the usual digital back pieces from any number of Dxxx models.

etrigan63

While I realize the practical reasons for dual cord slots, I don't see the application here. Did the Nikon F-Series mount two rolls of film at the same time?