The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

jduncan

+1

It's a parody of the genuine article. Instead of cobbling together this Frankensteinian contraption, they should have defined the concept as "digital F3" and let Giugiaro have at it again.

Functionally, a lot rides on the viewfinder. If it doesn't come with a focusing screen tuned for manual focus of fast-aperture lenses, or interchangeable screens with a properly-tuned MF screen as an option, then all the blather about being able to use all the old lenses is just a nasty tease.

I believe that is one of the points where the future of this body will be decided.
I if did have excellent manual focus lenses and a high resolution sensor, it could be, paired with the Otus lens line, an incredible tool. For landscape it seems to be lacking a proper shutter

On the other hand, it may be that is designed as a collection item. It can also be an out for the D4 sensors (if they prove to be the same).

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder if it's possible to disable all the buttons on the back except the command wheel which is needed to adjust aperture on G-lenses.

To me, it looks more and more like an F3/D700 mix. Unfortunately, they decided to include everything from both cameras instead of choosing only what is needed for "pure" photography. If that will increase of decrease the market potential of this "hybrid" will probably never be known, but I still look very much forward to actually trying it. I like the size, particularly the reduced thickness, it looks very cool, ergonomics look good, and the sensor is superb. I definitely want it if I can afford it :p

bensonga

Are there any technical reasons you can think of why Nikon couldn't have made a digital F3 with controls as simple and uncluttered as a Leica M9?

Drop the video, put a great pentaprism on it and a decent screen for manual focusing. Keep it simple (or if they insist "pure"). They could have sold a lot of AIS Nikkors. :)

This DF is just a big disappointment.....especially to those who still enjoy "pure photography". :D

Gary

Last edited:

mmbma

Then why did you put in a pre-order? I guess not a huge fail afterall

I managed to put a pre-order in on the black body before the link for that item was taken down.

Reading through the product description. Really there is nothing special about this camera. Cheaper body with the D4 sensor but coupled with worse AF system (which is fine).

This is seriously a joke. I don't really understand the point of this camera. I can buy a D800E, down rez the picture to 16mp and get really close ISO performance....

Huge fail at this price point... Would've been a different story around 2k.

P.S. When I got my order in, it says the camera will be released on Nov. 28th.

wjlapier

I'm the odd one out I guess. I like the way it looks. I like the dials and don't mind the thicker body. The VF for manual focus is the kicker for me. We'll see tomorrow.

bmacw

Then why did you put in a pre-order? I guess not a huge fail afterall
When the link on amazon opened, we didn't have any concrete spec on the camera yet.
Pre-order first, decide later. Never heard of that?:toocool:

fultonpics

wow, that is beautiful. would love to carry one around. to tell the truth any more than 16MP won't make a bit of difference in the pictures i take. nice looking camera. can't wait to see one at the local store when it shows up. too bad they can't make a memory card that looks like a film cansiter. i think i'll dust off my gossen and get one of these.

Lars

Are there any technical reasons you can think of why Nikon couldn't have made a digital F3 with controls as simple and uncluttered as a Leica M9?

Drop the video, put a great pentaprism on it and a decent screen for manual focusing. Keep it simple (or if they insist "pure"). They could have sold a lot of AIS Nikkors. :)

This DF is just a big disappointment.....especially to those who still enjoy "pure photography". :D

Gary
Minimalist design isn't necessarily better. To me it looks like Nikon has designed with the photographer in mind. Less menus means more direct interaction.

It's also a design choice - Nikon isn't Leica so it makes more sense to design a camera that looks like a retro Nikon than like a new Leica.

Now, Nikon probably isn't that interested in selling old AIS lenses - they are mostly an embarrassment compared to current lenses (with a few exceptions of course).

lambert

If pixel count is the criteria, sure. For best rendering handheld at low light condition, not so much.
You can always down-res from 36mp to 16mp and achieve the same IQ in low light (handheld or otherwise). But in good light, you will never have the resolution that is possible from the 36mp sensor.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You can always down-res from 36mp to 16mp and achieve the same IQ in low light (handheld or otherwise). But in good light, you will never have the resolution that is possible from the 36mp sensor.
- If you look at photos from the D4 and the D800 taken at ISO 25,600, you will see that all colours, blacks in particular, look cleaner on the images from the D4 also after the D800 has been reduced to 16MP.

- While maximum ISO for a D800 is 25,600, it's 204,800 for the D4 (and Df), 3 stops more.

- A RAW file from the D800 is nearly 60MB while it's around 35MB for the D4. That translates into a need for almost twice the processing and disk capacity to handle the D800 files compared to those from the D4 (and Df).

While there are photographers with a need for 36MP, the vast majority don't have that need. Clean ISO 204,800 files on the other hand, seems to be all the rage now :ROTFL: