The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Here's a grab from dpr today.

This tells a very interesting story. To start with, I've never seen a camera getting as much attention as this at dpr, approaching 50%. Secondly, there's not a single Canon camera on that list. Even the relatively new 70D has fallen off. But even more importantly, the Sony A7 isn't there either, while almost the entire Nikon mid range of DSLR bodies is present among the Top 10.
>using DPR as a metric for anything
>implying actual photographers visit DPR

The only thing that's popular on DPR is whatever generates controversy on forums and interests casuals.

The huge interest for the Df can have many reasons:

- Many photographers have been asking for something similar to this for a long time.
Unfortunately, this "long time" has already passed, and Nikon is behind the curve. This really doesn't look like a strong late-2013 effort. Same exact thing early 2012 and we'd be having a different conversation.
- It retains compatibility with all Nikkor lenses from the last 60+ years.
I'm not sure if that's as impressive as it's supposed to sound.
- The looks of the camera attract people.
Depending on whether it's a collector's item or practical tool, this may or may not be a good thing.
- In spite of being retro, and in contrast to the wishes of many "pure" enthusiasts on fora like this, it also retains the functionality of a D610 (with the exception of video), making it more or less a 2-in-one camera.
In this case 2-in-1 refers to selling a needlessly marked-up product and getting away with it too. Hasselblad could learn a thing or two.
- As opposed to a Leica or a Lunar, it's within reach for very many "middle class" photo enthusiasts while still having unique, "exclusive" properties. For those with F-mount lenses, which can be counted by the millions, it's almost a bargain seen in that context.
But "middle class" photo enthusiasts are a discerning group of people that won't waste money on something that ultimately won't provide better end-results, the group that can drop $7,000 on a digital body is a group of people with a completely different mindset. If I only had $3000 to spend on shopping for a camera, I would not want "exclusive features", but the best bang for buck.

If I wanted a small 16mp retro-ish styled camera today, I'd get an EM-1, because besides the smaller sensor, it blows the Df away in every other aspect, and only costs $1,400 too; or perhaps the even-smaller EM5 for $1000? I'd have plenty left over for all the lenses I could ever need.

In the meantime, the Df has climbed to the 16th and 18th position on Amazon's Top 20 list

Add to this the enormous PR effect when mainstream media start writing about this "cool looking, perfect retro Christmas gift to the photographer who has everything he needs", and I see a very smart move from Nikon here. This camera might be a commercial success even before the first body has been delivered to a customer :thumbup:
In my opinion, this has nothing to do with the camera as a successful photographic device, but as a successful product. The Sony A7r, conversely, has had almost no mainstream exposure, and yet all photographers to whom it matters knows that it's coming.

Just saying that from the perspective of the dirty plebeian rabble such as myself, $3000 can buy a lot of camera, and the Df doesn't compete well according to the metrics I'd use to contemplate a purchase.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>using DPR as a metric for anything
>implying actual photographers visit DPR

The only thing that's popular on DPR is whatever generates controversy on forums and interests casuals.

Unfortunately, this "long time" has already passed, and Nikon is behind the curve. This really doesn't look like a strong late-2013 effort. Same exact thing early 2012 and we'd be having a different conversation.

I'm not sure if that's as impressive as it's supposed to sound.

Depending on whether it's a collector's item or practical tool, this may or may not be a good thing.

In this case 2-in-1 refers to selling a needlessly marked-up product and getting away with it too. Hasselblad could learn a thing or two.

But "middle class" photo enthusiasts are a discerning group of people that won't waste money on something that ultimately won't provide better end-results, the group that can drop $7,000 on a digital body is a group of people with a completely different mindset. If I only had $3000 to spend on shopping for a camera, I would not want "exclusive features", but the best bang for buck.

If I wanted a small 16mp retro-ish styled camera today, I'd get an EM-1, because besides the smaller sensor, it blows the Df away in every other aspect, and only costs $1,400 too; or perhaps the even-smaller EM5 for $1000? I'd have plenty left over for all the lenses I could ever need.

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with the camera as a successful photographic device, but as a successful product. The Sony A7r, conversely, has had almost no mainstream exposure, and yet all photographers to whom it matters knows that it's coming.

Just saying that from the perspective of the dirty plebeian rabble such as myself, $3000 can buy a lot of camera, and the Df doesn't compete well according to the metrics I'd use to contemplate a purchase.
You are missing the point. There are thousands of photographers out there who can afford to buy and indeed buy a camera just because it's cool and because it's supposed to be the camera to buy right now. I buy most of my cameras from people like that, and they don't really care if they lose 30 or 50 or 90% of the value when they sell it. Professional cameras like the D4 or the D800 would hardly exist without those buyers. Neither will the Df. Do I need to mention the F6 again?

bradhusick

Lars, the biggest improvement in my concept is the smaller body size. Whether you need an ISO dial is up to you.
-B
--------------------

Sorry to say Brad, but just removing buttons doesn't improve user experience.

And some people like to change ISO without leaving the viewfinder. With digital, ISO is an exposure setting just as much as aperture and shutter.

The one glaring design mistake I see is a separate button for LCD light. What's wrong with the three-position power switch of the D-series cameras. PASM switch could probably also have been integrated into some other switch (but I do like it to be readily accessible).

And the grip is f-ugly. The form language does not match the rest of the device. Take away the grip and the impression is of a much more nimble body.

I do sympathize with the idea of de-cluttering, however if that leads to common settings only accessible through menus then it has gone too far.

A body sized like the FM series would be nice.

nandemofoto

I am a Nikon shooter, most of my cameras and lenses are Nikon.
The camera is being released on my birthday, and now I can engrave my name on it:

Nikon Df name service

That's a sign, right?

I mean, right...?!

Last edited:

Thorkil

...dare not to speak it out loud…so I whisper:.. I actually really like the Df, yes it could be smaller, that could have been nice, and it’s a lot of money (actually I’m in sort of love with it, can’t help), and I’m sort of convinced that it render in another way than the D610, smoother and in a well articulated way, and it’s a “cheap” and small D4 with those wonderful dials, that I’ve been waiting for (but would have been nice with a distance-knob too for streets, like the Leica Minilux) that I can’t wait for try turning.
And no, I’m not ironic(!).
thorkil

tjv

The more I read about this camera, and the more I see pictures comparing its size to other cameras, the more I want to get a Leica M9P or M.
Nikon, IMHO have missed the mark on this one. An FM2 or FM3a digital would have been great, but this emperor has no clothes...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't know. I must be one of the target demographic like a few others here because I see a D4 sensor and processing in a basically analog body. Count me in. I have megapixels up the ying yang elsewhere and basically they don't matter as much as most people seem to think (IMHO). Give me flexibility in a reasonable size robust body and I've got some piggy bank money ready.

Hulyss Bowman

The more I read about this camera, and the more I see pictures comparing its size to other cameras, the more I want to get a Leica M9P or M.
Nikon, IMHO have missed the mark on this one. An FM2 or FM3a digital would have been great, but this emperor has no clothes...
I agree. On LuLa I said I will buy it but after all considerations... I can't. My D700 is a better tool (ok he doesn't have the D4 sensor). More I read reviews of actual systems over the web more I see what Tom Hogan say.

NotXorc

Thom's site has exceeded its bandwidth! So, clearly, you are not the only one who has been reading his thoughts on the Df.

Thorkil

..if max. iso 2.500 is enough all the time for you it sounds fair, and a good decision, but I need one zero more, and I think that it would be a perfect possibility for me, to have a iso band up to 25.000 available, but except for that the Price perhaps is 20-30% too high for my economic wellness I still can't see anything dramatic wrong in that camera (okay, we always want our love to keep as slim as possible...but I guess I could live with it, as long as the look still is so nice as it really is...and in my head so wonderful and extremely functionel, it seems), in the contrary, I like it a lot. But no one is forced to buy it, I would guess.
thorkil
Ps. for my part it's the other way round, the more I look at it the more I like it, and in a degree where I'm afraid to Loose that objectivity I normally would like to preserve, considering a new camera (and I guess it might be as long back as the M6 days I've felt that dangerous feeling)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
..if max. iso 2.500 is enough all the time for you it sounds fair, and a good decision, but I need one zero more, and I think that it would be a perfect possibility for me, to have a iso band up to 25.000 available, but except for that the Price perhaps is 20-30% too high for my economic wellness I still can't see anything dramatic wrong in that camera (okay, we always want our love to keep as slim as possible...but I guess I could live with it, as long as the look still is so nice as it really is...and in my head so wonderful and extremely functionel, it seems), in the contrary, I like it a lot. But no one is forced to buy it, I would guess.
thorkil
Ps. for my part it's the other way round, the more I look at it the more I like it, and in a degree where I'm afraid to Loose that objectivity I normally would like to preserve, considering a new camera (and I guess it might be as long back as the M6 days I've felt that dangerous feeling)
This is a dangerous feeling indeed! I am torn between absolutely disliking the Df and getting excited about it. If I would be able to argue myself into more simple photography (Nikon advertisement calls it pure) It would become a no brainer to like it. Only I am having so many nice experiences with my D800E and the modern Nikkor lens lineup, that these argumentation is kind of hard.

As soon as I start size comparisons to other systems (my favorite currently m43 based on EM5 and hopefully soon EM1) at least on paper m43 wins.

Emotionally - I am not really sure :confused:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you feel at home with a rangefinder, have M-mount lenses and can live with the somewhat mediocre high ISO performance, that makes complete sense to me. However, I don't have any M-mount lenses, but lots of F-mount lenses plus OM-mount lenses that can be converted, I would love to have the high ISO performance of the Df and I've shot more or less exclusively with SLR cameras for 40 years and see no reason to change that right now. It all depends on who you are :)

D&A

I guess I'm of two minds regarding the Df. I think part of the allure is that it's the 1st DSLR that makes an attempt to harken back to the days of the manual focus SLR era and for some who grew up and loved using those cameras (such as myself), so this is at present the only game in town. Sort of like when Epson released their RD1 and although it had lots of shortcomings and was already well behind the curve in available digital technology for digital cameras back then, was well embraced as the only digital interchangeable rangefinder for Leica lenses.

Interesting how Epson went for style over substance in many areas, with its analogue dials and film advance lever, which by the way was quite striking in my opinion. It's almost as though Nikon took a styling/marketing cue from Epson and went a bit over the top with both analogue and digital type dials, buttons etc., trying to be all things to all people with regards to the Df. Yes, they could have made it simpler in terms of function, interchangeable focusing screens, less bells and whistles and smaller...BUT....then on the other hand there would have been others who would have clamored for all the digital advantages they have been accustomed to in a DSLR, and as many MP's of at least a D610, video and more.

What I'm trying to say is it was impossible to achieve and satisfy all needs and requests that people wanted in a retro type DSLR in a single body and it's in some ways akin to what happened to the new Leica M240 for some (simplicity lost vs. adding functionality). Only multiple models of these types of cameras would satisfy a majority but unfortunately there probably then wouldn't be a big enough market for each financially for the respective companies to produce.

I think a smaller D4 sensor body was needed for the market and in some ways Nikon offered something different with regards to this. I also think where the D700 eventually cannibalized sales from the original D3, I believe Nikon wanted to make sure the Df wasn't simply a smaller clone of the D4. Lastly, I'll reserve judgement but I have a nagging feeling that although the Df is D4 based incorporating the same sensor, something tells me it might not have quite the same clean high ISO performance of that camera. No real basis for me to claim this....just a feeling. Other than that, I'd like to get my hands on a Df and simply see how it feels, handles and performs for tasks not only in areas where I might use my other DSLr's but maybe in an environment or type of photographic endeavor where I simply might feel more comfortable with the Df. Time will tell.

Dave (D&A)

Thorkil

This is a dangerous feeling indeed! I am torn between absolutely disliking the Df and getting excited about it. If I would be able to argue myself into more simple photography (Nikon advertisement calls it pure) It would become a no brainer to like it. Only I am having so many nice experiences with my D800E and the modern Nikkor lens lineup, that these argumentation is kind of hard.

As soon as I start size comparisons to other systems (my favorite currently m43 based on EM5 and hopefully soon EM1) at least on paper m43 wins.

Emotionally - I am not really sure :confused:
:) My list in #459 hit the head on the nail, in my Work I can't just settle for a iso 3200 as maximum together with the need of a wide lens, perhaps the Pana 7-14/4.0, Okay a faster wide could perhaps have done it, but then an ability for 6400 still would have been nice. So I can't use the E-M1 or E-M5. Would have loved to do, because they are Sharp and with good colours too.
I don't know what went wrong between the D800E and me. Perhaps I was not patient enough, to get the best out of it, or perhaps not ready to Invest in better glasses, and tripod is only for my sparetime, and at the most when I was using the Hassy SWC. So I need a camera with greater foregivenes than the D800E. And I really don't need those big files from the D800E. I don't do posters etc. Allright the samples from the Df at 100% looks a bit unsharp in the details, but I don't need a Picture in a width 3½ times my screen, so I don't consider that as a solid problem. So, the forgiveness, and ability for more hasty shots, with good results, the possibility of just looking down a split-second to recall the settings (not to mention the look, which doesn’t count, I know, but would make me smile anyway), and that I have at least 2 lenses I would use, and the 20mm/2.8D could also do it well on the Df, not on the D800E (I know one could just have used 50% as largest enlargement, on the screen, with the D800E files, perhaps then the forgiveness had been sufficient).
I don’t know for sure, but I think I like the rendering from a D4/Df more than those from D800E.
And I don't know if I got the Money to buy it, but I know it make me smile, and would make me smile.
thorkil

D&A

I don't know. I must be one of the target demographic like a few others here because I see a D4 sensor and processing in a basically analog body. Count me in. I have megapixels up the ying yang elsewhere and basically they don't matter as much as most people seem to think (IMHO). Give me flexibility in a reasonable size robust body and I've got some piggy bank money ready.
Graham, why do I get a feeling this Df varient is more your style? :)

(copied from another website)

TOKYO – Following on the heels of the revolutionary Nikon DF, the Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the fashionable DFB – the Burberry Edition, a Nikon FX digital SLR camera. The stylish DFB literally screams “Do more with less, but look sharp while doing it!” The DFB features the beloved 12.1 MP sensor from the Nikon D3 and D700. The file sizes produced by the DFB will be a welcome relief to those who demand smaller file sizes and less photographic detail, and are genuinely concerned about conserving hard drive space.

As part of the Nikon’s Pure Photography initiative, the DFB says goodbye to bothersome automatic focusing. Hearkening back to yesteryear, the DFB relies solely on manual focusing, using a classic split image screen. We have also made the DFB incompatible with VR lenses. When the DFB detects a VR lens, it disables the VR capability. It thus requires photographers to rely on better technique to take sharp images rather than being dependent upon fancy image stabilization technology – just like photographers had to do 50 years ago.

The DFB also eliminates the need to worry about color, as it only produces pure, beautiful black and white photos. We took the dramatic step of eliminating the LCD from the back of the DFB. We believe this radical departure from other DSLR designs will put an end, once and for all, to “chimping,” and allow photographers to spend less time fiddling with their cameras and more time on the art of photography. And similar to the days of film, they will not be able to view their photos while shooting. Only after arriving home and uploading their images to their computer will see the results of their efforts.

Perhaps best of all, the DFB sports the classic Burberry pattern, one of the most distinguishable designs in the world. The DFB’s unique look makes a strong, bold statement that will turn the heads of both photographers and those being photographed, particularly the model community. In a world of “me too” digital camera design, the DFB tells others that you care about how your camera looks, want to stand out from the crowd, and are ready to forego all kinds of technological advances – and willing to pay top dollar to do so!

The DFB will be priced at $3,499. The first 1,000 customers will also receive a genuine Burberry umbrella. The DFB is available for pre-order from all Nikon distributors.