The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Custom In Camera Crops

Hey everyone! Long time viewer, first time posting.

I have a question for any members who might know. I have often thought that the 2x3 / 4x6 aspect ratio is a bit too tall for decent portraits and I am not super fond of the 4x5 aspect ratio. It is probably a long shot, but is there a way to crop 4x3 in camera via some secret menu option?

Thanks for any help or hints!
-Nathan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
4:3 is unfortunately NOT one of them. And I agree, it is a STUPID omission by Nikon. I would much prefer the very usable 4:3 to the included archaic 5:4...

Thanks guys. I think that one feature I would most like would be an auto cropping mode that changed the aspect ratio to 4x3 when the camera is turned vertically. 2x3 is just too tall in my opinion, especially since I mostly do portraiture. If anyone has an in with Nikon, send over this idea ;)

archivue

For me 4x5 on the D800 is ok, but is there a way to shoot 2X3 with the crop line on, in order to crop later ?
Why cropping later ? in vertical, it gives you some space to "shift" !