The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 58mm f1.4 - 1st hands on views

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Nikkor 59mm f1.4 - 1st hands on views

I have mine but haven't had time to run it through its paces yet... Maybe this weekend. It needed a -15 AF adjustment though, but that's pretty much how far I've gotten with it so far. :)

k-hawinkler

I have mine but haven't had time to run it through its paces yet... Maybe this weekend. It needed a -15 AF adjustment though, but that's pretty much how far I've gotten with it so far. :)

-15 on which camera? Thanks.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

I received my first day order for the lens as well. Hopefully tomorrow I will get my turn to shoot my 8 month old grandson .

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Mine has arrived.
Hopefully I will get to wring it out over the weekend.
-bob

archivue

but anyway i will probably wait for sigma to make a 50 fully compatible with their USB dock !
the 35 rocks !

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was made clear above…

WE WANT PICS!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So I've been perusing the web and so far this is my (humble) impression of the images I've seen from this lens, albeit based only on viewing the various web images posted. So while not definitive, I do have an impression forming and it is -- not hugely positive compared to the 50/1.4G and 50/1.2 AIS manual. Let me explain further…

First, what I see in the 58 is nice far bokeh at f1.4; slightly busy front bokeh wide open at f1.4, and not overly crisp resolution on any plane at f1.4. Wide open, I think overall it renders a little better than the 50/1.4G (not nearly 4x the cost better though) but not even in the same ballpark as the 50/1.2 AIS. The latter being sharper in the central focus plane while having similar bokeh, and of course f1.2 appears to render enough of a thinner DoF than the 58 at f1.4 that I find it a more desirable overall look wide open.

Next, at f2, 2.8 and 4, it appears to render about the like the 50/1.4G, and in fact the 50/1.4G may have better contrast by f4 which also generates the impression of more crispness stopped down. In the f2 - f2.8 range I'd call it a wash between the 50/1.4G and the new 58. From f4 up, I prefer the 50/1.4G from both the wider focal and overall image rendering characteristics of the two lenses. Still, the 50/1.2 manual blows them both away from f2 up being both sharper and crisper with balanced contrast and pleasant bokeh. In a nutshell, I see this new 58 giving a smooth but otherwise unremarkable rendering of images.

I'll need hands on testing to confirm those above impressions, and I welcome any images that prove these impressions wrong -- in fact, I WANT To be shown examples that prove me wrong! So take this for what it is, only an initial impression -- but an impression that leaves me not having seen anything as of yet that makes me want this lens...

Flamesuit donned! :talk028:

Hulyss Bowman

Completely agree with you Jack. All the samples I seen so far do not come close to the 50 f1.2, at all. And at f2 ... the 50f1.2 is the sharpest thing I ever owned (in the same ball park than the Zeiss 50 macro).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have yet to see anything that is turning me on. I do like the separation I see but I need to test it myself. Bottom line I m not seeing 1700 dollars yet.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And at f2 ... the 50f1.2 is the sharpest thing I ever owned (in the same ball park than the Zeiss 50 macro).
Perhaps veering OT but I had to agree with this comment of yours too -- the 50/1.2 AIS is simply stellar at f2 and up, even on the demanding D800E. Frankly it is a relative bargain being still available new in the box for about $700 from B&H. I'd suggest anybody that likes fast glass to get one before they are gone. They are a classic and only going to increase in price.

Here it is, USA model too: USA 50/1.2 manual focus

And the imported version for about $50 less: Imported 50/1.2 manual focus

M

mjr

I've got to say I agree, it isn't anywhere near as impressive as the shots I've seen from the 1.2 and I was hoping it would be something special so I didn't need to buy the Zeiss 55! I think in this case, all the reports of having "character" just translates as not that good, especially for the money.

Oh well, there's a very clean 1.2 for sale locally for £450 so may be tempted with that as it's cheap.

Mat

Perhaps veering OT but I had to agree with this comment of yours too -- the 50/1.2 AIS is simply stellar at f2 and up, even on the demanding D800E. Frankly it is a relative bargain being still available new in the box for about $700 from B&H. I'd suggest anybody that likes fast glass to get one before they are gone. They are a classic and only going to increase in price.
Thanks Jack. Seems like a genuine bargain.