The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 58/1.4g in Hawaii

I said no more images, but can't resist adding just a few more and a couple of observations.
No question, the lens is not razor sharp wide open, but the bokeh is so lovely.
Wide open, DOF is so shallow I find myself taking a couple of extra shots to make sure I get at least one in focus.
The lens handles beautifully on the d800 and focus feels like my 85/1.4g.
Often I shoot with two primes, the 24/1.4g and the 85/1.4g but often the 85 is too long and I wish I had a 50 instead.
So in some ways the 58 can replace both and may make an ideal walk around lens.
I could see myself attaching the 58 to the d800 around my shoulder and carrying the Ricoh GR (28/2.8) in my pocket.
Anyway here are a few more:

John Kraus

That's abundantly correct, Vivek. But this is the most relevant thread in terms of useful images to look at the demonstrate well the IQ of this new lens. Of course if you wish to remove the thread please do so.

V

Vivek

John, I do not mean to be brash but it is Joe's thread and his images (which are splendid as everyone can see). Thought I will point that out. That is all.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm out on this one. I have yet to see anything close to my Sigma 35 wide open. This is just another lens you have to stop down to like F2 to get any crispness. The thing is I want something longer than 50 as it's the most boring focal length to me. I actually hate a 50 but something longer I would like plus it's too damn close to my 35 which is a permanent lens now. Now here's what kills me just looking at some Sony A7r shots with there 55 1.8 and it's really crisp wide open with nice bokeh. That's what I was hoping to see here. Hate to say it but I just might get out of Nikon for my quality camera and downgrade my Nikon to a PR kit a D610 24-70 and a 70-200 and call it a day. Take my Leica 19r convert to Sony A mount. Sell my Sigma 35. And rebuy it in Sony A mount, take my Zeiss 135 and either convert , sell into a Sony A mount, have to look at options here. Buy the Sony 55 1.8 and as the new E mounts become available just slowly convert to it more. Its a freaking bizarre thought but once again . Buy a Leica R 28 and convert to a A mount. Frankly this is getting more depressing as time marches on. I have 2 Nikon lenses in my kit everything else is another brand and its a big clunking mess.

I'm just thinking out loud but I feel Nikon will never make anything more than a D800e. There in financial trouble and not innovating.

I'm just going to wait it out till next year and I may flip everything around. If anyone is a crazy nut case to do it your looking at him. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Joe, I think your images are very nice and I'm happy the lens pleases you because that's what counts for sure! However as respects the "character" from the 58, I just am not seeing enough of anything special to justify it for myself -- certainly not as much character as I feel I get from my 50/1.2. Not being critical, just going on record as respects what I'm seeing for my own personal needs from this lens.

Hulyss Bowman

Yep. The Sony lens, as Guy said, look like a far better lens.

I think (I'm sure) that the trick about the bokeh of this 58mmf1.4 is the 58mm focal ;) I'm sure they are able to manufacture a new 50f1.2 AFS G with spectacular results. Just take the old design, put NanoCristal coating, and swap on or two normal elements with SLD glass and you are done. Just putting N coating on the actual lens would improve considerably the results.

I think Nikon do not have any resources and courage left to build quality lenses like in the old days. They want the most profit out of their device now. And with the actual photographic landscapes, where there is a wunderbar expansion of casual photographers and a diminution of pro photographers, they aim the biggest market.

It is why us, pros, are kinda upset, because we know what Nikon was able to do and we see the crap they try to sell now. This is why SIGMA or even SONY are more honest because they do actual lenses at a good price with top quality and performances.

In my mind, there is a manufacturer who never lost his quality : Olympus... but they are not full frame any-more... and thats a pita.

Speaking about fast and superb lenses :

Olympus Shared Resources: Zuiko Lenses

No offense taken. I've never shot with a noct nor do I shoot with manual focus lenses. Furthermore, I rarely if ever shoot with a 50.

Yesterday I photographed an active one year old with the 58 in natural light. This was in a tight space. The lens worked very well and i was able to get that gorgeous bokeh and dreamy look normally seen with the 85.

Lots of ifs - f/1.2, sharper wide open, cheaper, etc. Nevertheless, I believe this lens will be wonderful for weddings, dreamy portraits, night shots and as an alternative to carrying a 50 and 85 in the bag.

As Mr Wolf said: "Just because you are a character, doesn't mean that you have character."

Thanks Hulyss for the nice words.
I've had the 58 for a week and here is a link to a few images I've taken.
(in a slideshow format to more easily view).
Vast majority of shots wide open - so don't expect sharpness.
Linky