The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 58/1.4g in Hawaii

OK, just received the 58mm f/1.4g lens and took it out for a spin in Waikiki with my D800.
All shot wide open except for one.
No real testing on my part, just shooting this and that.

Lens definitely has a distinct look, lovely bokeh, extremely shallow DOF and is definitely not razor sharp wide open at close distance.
So far I am very pleased.
Hope to do a bit more shooting this weekend.
Enjoy.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Joe,

the photos look marvelous.

How does this lens handle on the D800?

Thanks

Peter

John Kraus

Your images are showing what this lens is capable of in experienced hands. Still a touch myopic to my eye- I wish there was that feeling of tack sharpness at 1.4, but I don't think that's what this lens is about. and I think just a touch of sharpening, structure, micro-contrast, et al- would add to the feeling of a touch more sharpness if wanted.

John Kraus

Joe, with respect here's just a touch of sharpness added to your photo you think demonstrates what the lens can do. Does the added sharpness add to the viewer experience? To me, I personally like the touch more sharpness at the plane of focus (perhaps even less) but would take it all away from the OOF areas. The intention of the design starts to reveal itself.

What's interesting is that all the detail DOES seem to be within the very narrow plane of focus, although I believe it's smaller than it would be due to the focus shift the lens appears to have. So it does appear to be more of a micro- contrast issue than a sharpness/detail issue, and the lens design is drawing how the lens designer wants it to.

Thanks John, a little sharpness never hurts and it may be necessary wide open.
Unfortunately, it has been raining so I wasn't able to get out except for the fun shoot.
However, here are a few more shots from yesterday.

For those that just want to see the images I've included them below.
The face and armor shots are wide open, the knife shot at f/2.
These are jpgs with no post work except one stop of exposure added to the knife shot.

What I like about the lens is it gives me a different look wide open.
And it also appears pretty sharp by f/2.

I've posted the same shots over at nikoncafe.
Hoping a few of these images will help people decide if the lens is for them or not.

Here you go:

John Kraus

Thanks Joe for posting, you generous posting and notes helped me decide to order one today. Most likely selling my 1-year old 14mm f/2.8 rectilinear and 50mm 1.4G, once tested, if anyone's interested.

I think the lens has enormous potential, but it's one brush you have to learn how to use. I think for bride and groom romance shots it will be wonderful- to bring her, or them, into their own world.

You are welcome John.
I agree with your assessment and it will be great for weddings.

Here's another.
Obviously processed but sharp as a tack at f/2.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Joe

Excellent shots that really show how the 58/1.4 performs . I have been shooting it this week on my D800E and had a few observations .

This lens will be known for its "aesthetic" wide open and its ability to handle bright lights in night shooting (like the Noct Nikkor) .

1. I really like the bokeh ...as its a very smooth roll off with soft edges (not as exaggerated as even the Noctilux ) .

2. The apparent "sharpness" wide open and especially up close doesn t match the Leica M or R summiluxes .

3. At distances in the 8-20 Ft range ...the overall images look just great ...the separation adds a very nice aesthetic ...this would be a pick for shooting weddings or family events .

4. The lens balances really well on any of the FX bodies ....the front element is recessed (similar to a 60/2.8 macro) and I will not use a filter or a hood except in extreme situations. The lens is light and the weight is near the rear element ..not front heavy.

My copy back focuses badly and will take a little time tomorrow to calibrate it ..I hope I have enough room its looking like maybe its at +20 to the standard .

We have a new 50/1.4G that my wife uses on her D600 ..so I will soon have some photographs to compare .

Thanks for your comments and observations Roger. I was surprised by the recessed front element and a agree a hood in not necessary under normal circumstances. Really like the bokeh so far. Definitely have to get comfortable with what the lens is capable of at various apertures and distances.

Never owned or used a noct and strangely I rarely use a 50mm lens except for some studio work. The 58 seems like a nice tool in my bag.

V

Vivek

Joe, If I am not mistaken, isn't this lens optimized for infinity shooting wide open?

V

Vivek

It is possible that I have enhanced selective reading (i.e., reading what I want to read) abilities? :D

References here: Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G

Point light sources located at infinity can be finely reproduced as point images even at the maximum aperture.
and here:

Nikon | Imaging Products | Behind the scenes - AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G

To be exact, sharpness, contrast and resolution have been greatly enhanced even for shooting distant scenes.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
The Noct 58/1.2 was optimized for infinity shooting wide open but I don't know about the new 58/1.4. I found that the Noct 58/1.2 was excellent from 5 meters to infinity wide open but close focus distance, it lagged behind the 50/1.2 AIS.

The other thing that I want to bring up is the focus accuracy of the D800(e). I found that D800 is not very reliable compared to Nikon's pro bodies, D3/s/x/D4. I had to send mine back to Nikon for re-calibration as it didn't provide robust/consistent accuracy for my 24/1.4, 28/1.4 and 35/1.4 lenses. I don't if Joe and Roger have used the 58/1.4 other than their D800E.

V

Vivek

Lovely images, Joe. :)

Looking at the wide open shots, it reminds of the Jupiter-3 lens on the MM. It just does not have enough juice for the sensor while having "character" (Only the Jupiter-3 and an adapter cost ~$70).

mmbma

power of the DSLR evident here. As much as I love small comact mirrorless systems and my Leica, they simply cannot create action photos like these with ease.