The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with the Otus

V

Vivek

price is 3990.00 a LOT less than Leica's best and a lot better too :)
The only problem with that price is that it will go down in years to come unlike the Leica lenses (because Leica keep jacking up the prices every year or so).

robmac

I used a d600. surprisingly focus was fairly easy and it came in fine. on the F6 with the split prism screen, it is night and day better. not to mention the brighter view finder. will let you know how it works on the d4 later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks Jorge. With an MTF & rendering very similar to my beloved 135/2 APO, which I find easy (relatively speaking) to focus via the OVF on the 800e and D3s, I was hoping the Otus would behave similary re: the VF.

While a nice high-contrast prism screen for the 800e would be sweet, I suspect we'll see 'pro' DSLR-sized bodies go mirror-less with the associated EVF & focus peaking before we again see high-end DSLRs with replaceable focus screens.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This does look substantially better than the Nikon 58/1.4 (I am digging thru the first 100 captures with that lens ). The bokeh is similar to the Leica R 50/1.4 (60mm) as good as I ve seen anywhere . The box from B&H arrived yesterday so my OTUS is here as well.

I sort of know the differences ...the Nikon handles better ..its short with excellent balance and has fast/silent AF . After adjustment it can pick a letter out on a UPS label at 2 meters with a D800E. The OTUS will have much better image "aesthetics" but it is large ,heavy and uses a very long throw focusing mount ...so its slow . Depends on the subject and the photographer ..how those attributes affect its evaluation .

Looks like an abundance of riches for Nikon owners . Those samples look sweet .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
RYC

Surprised you feel the D4 has a better sensor than the D600 . We have both cameras as well as the D800E . The differences come out as ISO gets above 800 or when you are looking for extreme enlargements . At base ISO the D600 produces a file at or near best in class . I actually prefer the D600 files for color at base ISO over the D4 or the D800E . Its the same sensor as the Sony RX1 only with Nikon s calibration . I think all three sensors are amazing and depending on what you enjoy shooting ..can each be best in class. (the D4 is a much much better camera but here we are just speaking to the aesthetics of the image quality . )

I think your test shots all look great with the OTUS on the D600. Thanks for providing them .

Roger

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The light fall off from the 50/1.2 AiS (even on APS-C) made me sell it. The good news is that a forum member is using it on his Canon FF. :)
Some of us (uh hum -- ME!) like the light fall-off of older fast designs.

:D

JohnBrew

Okay, the second shot got my attention. Forget the shots on Flickr. None of them, well maybe one of them, shows what I'm looking for. I suppose I'll keep my order in just to check it myself.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This lens looks better than the Nikon, more my look. I want something sharp wide open with good fall off.

ryc

Here are a few captured on Film with the F6 and Kodak Portra 160 NC. After all, Notall things are digital :)

Thorkil

I used a d600. surprisingly focus was fairly easy and it came in fine. on the F6 with the split prism screen, it is night and day better. not to mention the brighter view finder. will let you know how it works on the d4 later tonight or tomorrow.
Hi JT.. very, very nice pictures! while you is going on, could you be persuaded to post some from the D600 and the D4 taken of the same object, same contions? (while I would like to see the soul-difference of those two cameras (to consider if the Df is worth risking ones life, going for, instead of the D610)
thorkil

ryc

Thorkil,

I am sorry. But the D600 was on loan while my D4 was in the mail. All I can say from my personal preferences is that I prefer the files from the D4 over the D600. However, the D600 is a fine camera. I just don't like anything over 16 or 18 mp.

V

Vivek

Here are a few captured on Film with the F6 and Kodak Portra 160 NC. After all, Notall things are digital :)
Where are the OOF color fringing that we are so accustomed to in any such bokeh images? :shocked:

Delightful, JT! :thumbs:

Swissblad

Some great images folks, I'm a liking what I'm seeing…… but ouch - what a blow to ze wallet….. guess its time to save up. ;)

ronjh

Hi Guys
Though I rarely post or publish I have to say that the Otus is simply outstanding! This coming from someone who owns a Leica S and a D800E as a previous owner of every great Leica M lens there is. This is a rental copy from borrow lenses until my order comes into my dealer.
They're taken with a D800E except for a few crops these are mostly unprocessed.
Enjoy!
Ron

ryc

Ok, Maybe it's too sharp. This is on a 16 MP D4. Imagine a D800E

Shot at f2.2 with a D4 and SB910 flash. Just goofing around on a Saturday night. Look at the fine nose hairs

and the 100% crop

And

Just for giggles. my new puppy.