The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with the Otus

RVB

Thanks! It looks pretty big, even on the D4. Does it balance and handle pretty well?

I am so tempted by this lens, but I would have to buy a D800 again to really make it worthwhile.

Gary

Gary,I think it's worth the price,Everything i have seen of this lens makes it look outstanding and the old nikkor nocti costs more on the used market,they seek for $5k in the UK and there was one on ebay recently for 10k.. take a look at this snap from the Otus Flickr pool..

Otus 1.4/55 - No Color Fringes, Sample 01 by Carl Zeiss Lenses, on Flickr

bensonga

Gary,I think it's worth the price,Everything i have seen of this lens makes it look outstanding and the old nikkor nocti costs more on the used market,they seek for $5k in the UK and there was one on ebay recently for 10k.
When this lens was first announced, I was VERY skeptical re the price, but the more I see and read, the more I am convinced it may be worth the price of admission.

I'm beginning to realize however, just how far down that slippery slope I've fallen since first coming to GetDPI. Almost all of my photo friends seem to think I must be crazy to even consider this lens.

A few years ago I would have thought so too! :shocked:

Gary

RVB

When this lens was first announced, I was VERY skeptical re the price, but the more I see and read, the more I am convinced it may be worth the price of admission.

I'm beginning to realize however, just how far down that slippery slope I've fallen since first coming to GetDPI. Almost all of my photo friends seem to think I must be crazy to even consider this lens.

A few years ago I would have thought so too! :shocked:

Gary
Be optimistic,it's an expansion of consciousness ... :thumbup:

Rob

AreBee

One aspect of the Otus (range, presumably) that I have never quite understood is why Zeiss did not include a transparent cover over the focus distance markings. Wont the lack of a cover allow dust/moisture ingress?

JohnBrew

Good question. I suppose you have to have one in your hand to tell if its an issue. I wish Zeiss would have released all the Otus line at once, because I think I'd rather have the WA (for a first Otus lens). Choices, choices...

Last edited:

AreBee

John,

I wish Zeiss would have released all the Otus line at once, because I think I'd rather have the WA (for a first Otus lens)...
Me too. Unfortunately for both of us, according to this (Time = 2:22) an 85mm f/1.4 in Q1 2014 will be the next Otus lens released. :(

Even an announcment of the focal lengths Zeiss intends to release would be welcome.

Nectar

I was looking to buy one in the UK, but March 2014 was the date I was given off a store for them being in stock. Not sure I'll be able to hang onto the funds that long with the A7r, R lenses and PS4 etc all calling my name.

Dan Bellyk

A friend of mine and me drove to Toronto to pick up this lens and the 15mm f/2.8
He got the Otus and I the 15mm. The otus is drop dead sexy and soooo damn sharp with excellent colours, trying to figure a way to add this to my lens line-up, I think it's worth the money!

Dan

I'd save my pennies for this lens if I had a need for these qualities in this focus length. I'll wait for the other sizes before I start doing the scary cost/benefit analysis.

This price point actually makes perfect sense. We should get used to it. It's only a problem if you've got that mania that makes you want the best of everything at any cost, regardless of need. This causes predictable problems when new categories are introduced at unprecedented price points.

I try to stick to my actual needs. For a mid-focal length lens, I'm more than happy with the $200 f1.8g. For some of the wider angles, I'll consider selling heirlooms to get something better. Lucky for me, Schneider has been delaying their $6K 28mm tilt-shift. If it had been available when I did my most recent project, I'd be in serious debt right now.

bensonga

A few from yesterday
Wonderful images!

I've decided I'm going to work my way up the chain to an Otus. First up is the Nikon 50/1.2 AIS then a Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar and finally the Otus. Yes, I'll be skipping the Nikon 58/1.4.

Gary

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh My

Kristian,

Loved the review...guess I need to add the OTUS to my list...

Please look at the Df thread here...EXIFChanger will allow you to import images into LR or C1 until Adobe and Phase One catch up.

Bob

D&A

Lovely and informative write-up as usual Kristian! One of the things that impresses me about the lens is it's oof areas and bokeh which do resemble something akin to an 85mm lens. It will be interesting to see what other lenses Zeiss plans to release in the OTUS line of lenses and how they perform.

Just a question....its been reported by some that this lens exhibits a fairly high level of vignetting when shot wide open. I guess this should be expected. Did you experience this?

Again thanks for the link to your initial impressions.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

leicashot

Hi Dave thanks. It was just a quick first impressions writeup. No time for a full review unfortunately.

I didn't notice any noticeable vignetting. If it's there is very little and complimentary to the pictures I took. None of the pictures I posted had any editing done. Converted from NEF to jpeg only so very impressive performance to say the least.

Lovely and informative write-up as usual Kristian! One of the things that impresses me about the lens is it's oof areas and bokeh which do resemble something akin to an 85mm lens. It will be interesting to see what other lenses Zeiss plans to release in the OTUS line of lenses and how they perform.

Just a question....its been reported by some that this lens exhibits a fairly high level of vignetting when shot wide open. I guess this should be expected. Did you experience this?

Again thanks for the link to your initial impressions.

Dave (D&A)