The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24-105 F4 Art Series

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its no secret I want one and buying one. Anyone have any news on when they are shipping or has tried it.

Any test results? Any MTF charts?

**** give me anything, I got a itch that needs scratching. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not sure this is helpful, but here's the Sigma spec sheet with MTF: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/24-105mm-f4-dg-os-hsm-art

Also found this, and after reading it decided my Nikkor 24-120 is a keeper. Looks like this lens has a lot of falloff at the wide end that never goes away, also commented that the Nikkor was smaller and slightly sharper at the longer end of the zoom range, not to mention it runs out to 120 -- and then there's the fact I already own a nice copy of it :). However, for somebody that does not yet own the Nikkor, it looks like a contender and is a little cheaper: http://www.lenstip.com/389.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM.html

Swissblad

Jack, thanks for posting that review…. I guess I won't be getting one, but will also stick with my Nikkor AFS 24-120mm f4.0.

Guy Mancuso

Well I read it having neither the Sigma sounds pretty good and 400 dollars less. This for me is truly a one horse pony lens PR and thats it. Image quality is not the priority. I have other lenses for that type of work

Swissblad

If you have neither, it may be a good choice - personally I was hoping it would be better than the Nikon 24-120, which distorts quite badly at 24mm - otherwise it is a fine lens.

johnnygoesdigital

Sigma really surprised me with the 35mm 1.4. It's my best med-wide ever. so I'm interested when they release new lenses. I'd like to try shooting with the 120 - 300mm DG HSM too.

Guy Mancuso

The Sigma 35 1.4 is a steal. I never seen a lens perform at 1.4 this good. NEVER and i have had everything in every line.