The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

jonoslack

Harrumph!
Just thought I might pick one up, until, in horror, I found that the price here is £2749.00, which is about $4400 which is really very expensive!

Booooo!

robmac

If you can mount it, you will get focus confirmation - no chip needed.

I use various Nikon bodies with chipped & unchipped Nikon, Zeiss & Voightlander lenses as well as various medium format lenses via adapters.

If the body is one with a dot & arrows (vs just a dot) it will show you arrows for required focus adjustment correction "in Nikon" (Nikon's "reverse" direction) as it assumes a Nikon lens is mounted.

Canon cameras require a chip on the lens or adapter to enable focus confirmation. Glad I left that BS behind.

Thanks Graham. I assume that this focus aid is only possible with the newer lenses with electronic contacts?

Swissblad

Harrumph!
Just thought I might pick one up, until, in horror, I found that the price here is £2749.00, which is about $4400 which is really very expensive!

Booooo!
I cannot understand these price fluctuations - other than it being a rip-off.

:mad:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Same here where I live, Jono and Swiss.
I have never seen as much excitement with a rumor of a coming camera as with this digital F camera.
Right until the price was revealed.

There are no waiting lists, the Df is in stock all over the town.
In my opinion Nikon really blew it on this introduction, they missed a unique opportunity by pricing it as a piece of jewelry instead of as a tool.
Had the Df been priced according to the specifications, the waiting lists would have been even longer than the D800 waiting lists at the D800 introduction. I believe.

Double harrumph :(

Thorkil

"Just" 4.505$ and 2.753£, here in Denmark, but we do have 25% Vat (to keep the society rolling :eek:).
But I'm still considering it. A D4 was totally out of reach for a "poor" man like me.
And considering that, it suddenly seems very cheap...
And I could get poorer in a nice way, and on the way Down..I could take some handsome Pictures too...
I know a D610 is almost half the Price, and the pro's claim it would be way better in the hand, but....the Df do perhaps have that Little twist, like my M6 had, not so slippery as a 610, more edgy (I dont care about the hyped retro-discussion, even though I do like the look, but I do like Wheels etc. so I can look Down and see whats going on, in a good old fashion way. But there should have been a distance button, something like that on the Leica Minilux). But the outmost importing thing for me will be that phrase, a matter of "feeling friendly connected". Feeling its an atraction just to pick it up and go out with it in your hand. And I do have a suspicion this could happen with a Df.
thorkil

ryc

Those prices are insane over there. As that mainly Tax? You should just have someone here in the states send one your way. I just pay the retail price. No sales tax in Oregon.

jonoslack

Hi JT. It isn't just the Tax. It's just serious price gouging on Nikon's part.
Like Thorkil I'm tempted anyway, but the principal really gets up my nose. I could buy from the states, but then what about the warranty?
CROSS

Swissblad

The warranty should be international and valid everywhere… but by the time you've paid customs etc…..?

I'm waiting till spring to see of prices drop. The normal d800 has plummeted locally…. so it may serve as an indicator.

ryc

Well, if you guys want to buy in the states, let me know. I could arrange to ship in several packages to make it look like something other than a new camera and avoid those taxes.

Thorkil

:) I think they will catch it by the border, and then one has to pay tax at that time.
The other thing about high VAT and high personal taxes are complicated to explain, and will be a too long story.
But in short we do have a very expensive society (but normally we do love it though :)), with a lot of welfare. Free education for all and free healthcare for all.
If you get sick, get cancer or other very expensive deceases its totally free to get threatment for everybody (even threatments for millions)(new Heart, lunges, knees etc.:)), poor, rich, everybody. And if you get cancer there is a garanty that you will be in threatment very quickly(about very few weeks).
We also have some social securitysystem, even though this have been somewhat cut Down in the last 2 years, so people is more afraid now for getting unimployed with "only" 2 years security instead of previously 4 years security.
So thats why I will have to pay my tax with a smile.. :eek: (and better buy a Df to support the hospitals etc. better than with a D610...:p )
thorkil

jonoslack

Splendid attitude Thorkil, same here: but I don't think it's taxes (here at least), but Nikon making lots of extra dosh, which isn't quite the same thing.
Hey Ho!

jonoslack

just checking prices:
D800 £1962 ($3139) B&H $2765
Df +50 1.8 £2749 ($4400) B&H $2996
Where is the sense in that? It's nothing to do with taxes Thorkil, just to do with price gouging.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thorkil

Splendid attitude Thorkil, same here: but I don't think it's taxes (here at least), but Nikon making lots of extra dosh, which isn't quite the same thing.
Hey Ho!
:)...yes I do think you are right in some way, it has something to do with (wrong or right-) market strategy...but, looking to the right, on the shelf, there is my old Nikon 28TI, which was claimed uncontinued because it was too expensive to produce, but wonderful to look at. I think all those buttons and Wheels are expensive to produce too, and perhaps they are psysically not able to produce millions and millions a year. So therefore they had to set the Price, so that they realistic could catch up production wise, together with, that it might be expensive to produce compared with more normal “pure” electronic cameradevices (+ the fact it has the D4 sensor).
But for my part I have "calmed down" from what I previously also thought was an insulting high pricelevel, and accepted the high price, in a way. For me, now, it’s a matter if I think I can afford it. But if it is able to just make me, let’s say 10-25% happier going out shooting(than a D610), then it will be a great Investment. The D800E did not "talk" to me, we didn't even get half-way friends, the D3 had a lot of forgiveness, extremely efficient, "talked" more to me, but was way too bulky. I'll have to go and try the Df in some days when I have finished my heavy working...(or one should wait for spring-time)
thorkil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
just checking prices:
Df +50 1.8 £2749 ($4400) B&H $2996

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jono

I know you can make a Nikon sing....you would love this camera.

These are from the Df...and I have not put it on a tripod yet...all handheld.

Nikon Df 50 1.8 Kit Lens

Aero and Smithy

Aeromotor 1

Wheels Redux

Bob

docmoore

Weather typical Texas 80 degrees F 2 days ago ... 6 inches of granular ice last night with a 50 degree drop....

Nikon Df Nikon 105 F2 DC

Birdhouse Ice

Oak After the Storm

So Christmas is coming....Gingerman and Stuff

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
12,800 appears unexpectedly very usable, at least based on 100% review on cam ;). Seems a wow. Only on cell phone now, but just have to say really impressed with this cam so far, significantly better than expected!

nandemofoto

The price of the Df is slightly cheaper here in Japan, about 2500$ for the body (still 500$ too much if you ask me).
Anyway, I was very interested in this camera and played with it in different local camera shops as I really wanted to like it. The D4 sensor is great and the file size is perfect, also the VF seems a little better than the one in my d800 (it probably is just placebo effect though) the shutter is much quieter than the d800 and the sound of it is very pleasant.

but...

I just couldn't get around the fact how uncomfortable it felt in my hand...
The grip is too short and too narrow for my hand and I knew it would be very difficult for me to use it for longer periods of shooting.
To give you and idea it is a little shorter than the d600 which was on a border for my liking, the d7100 is perfect for me so is the d800 (if it wasn't for the weight).

I guess what I'm tying to say is make sure you play with and see how it fits your hand one before ordering it on line.

docmoore

The price of the Df is slightly cheaper here in Japan, about 2500$ for the body
but...

I just couldn't get around the fact how uncomfortable it felt in my hand...
The grip is too short and too narrow for my hand and I knew it would be very difficult for me to use it for longer periods of shooting.
I agree that the camera is a mixed bag...good and not so....

My main concern is the marginal battery/SD slot and the mechanism to open it...
reminds me of my 1976 SAAB 96 ... could they make it seem any less robust?

Truth be told I am very rigorously careful with my cameras and think this is not a major issue...

So for me D4 chip trumps a lot of minor issues...

Optical VF :No EVF is a major deal. Live view there if you need it.

And complaining about a camera at less than 50% of the D4 price makes me wonder if one has looked at the alternatives....

Bob