The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I checked Capture 1 and didn't find the DF on the list of supported cameras. Is it supported?

I use mainly LR5 and there's no support for the DF yet. I do have Capture 1 express 6 and would buy 7 if it supported it.
View NX is not adequate for a camera and sensor this good...Capture NX2 is very good and for some conversions may be best.

Neither LR nor C1 support the RAW Df file as is but with an EXIF editor you just change the camera value from Df to D4 and voila the programs are very happy working with the files. Some of these editors work in batch mode and leave the original file alone so when an update to C1/LR arrives the original file has been untouched and will then be used.

Bob

JohnBrew

Can anyone compare the viewfinder to a D800???? My guess is they are identical but I am hoping for some improvement .
Bjorn Rorslett says the eye point is different allowing those who wear eyeglasses to see the entire frame and other early adopters on the Nikongear site concur.

I must say I'm growing more interested in this body. The D4 sensor is a gem. But I need to hold one in my hand first to check the ergonomics. Since I live in a vast camera wasteland I'll probably have to rent one first.

Last edited:

docmoore

EXIFChanger seems to me a pleasant way to work while avoiding
command line parsing in Terminal.

Here are a few more pics fromC1/PS CC as I have more time to tune the process....

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Yellow Caboose

Tankcars on Siding

Tankcar Detail

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Couple more same process...

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Rail Car Brake in Green

Silos and Tree 2

Thanks,

Bob

DDudenbostel

Bob it worked like a charm. I just purchased an EXIF editor through the mac store and edited several images in LR5. Perfect! Had no idea it was so easy.

By the way I love your shots. I refer to rust as a camera magnet. What is it about rust and old weathered paint?

LR is such a great tool. I think the only files other than raw that I've shot were TIF back when I first got my D1 when they first came out. Raw is the only way to get the full potential out of the camera.

I have a Hasselblad digital system, D800 and M9 plus the DF. The Hasselblad is amazing but the FF 35's are catching up. In some ways the Nikon exceeds the Hasselblad and the slight edge the Hasselblad files have can't be put on paper. For all practical purposes the D800 and DF are better tools for most applications.

I would love to see Nikon step forward and be bold. I'd love to see a non autofocus camera for B&W only. Just build a camera around manual focus lenses and remove the unnecessary dials and buttons and the camera would only shot NEF files. If that were the case I don't think the LCD would even be necessary. Also do away with the built in motor and have a thumb wind. Really make it a Digital F, F2 or F3. We didn't have all the options when we shot film so why do we need anything more than selectable shutter speeds, aperture (ring) and ISO. It worked for us in the 60's so what has changed?

Be bold Nikon! Be brave!!!! Be an innovator!!!

Many thanks!

Don

Photojazz

Don't you mean be a de-innovator? LOL.

I think taking away AF is going one step to far, and a step that Nikon won't take. First off, because all of their lenses currently produced that are new products are AF lenses. That means an entire new line of lenses is required unless they just sell out to Zeiss for lenses. I don't see that happening, do you?

I think it is realistic to see a Monochrome F mount, that gets back to basics, while not necessarily seeming quite so nostalgic as a qualification. But a very good camera with a very good sensor, dedicated to BW. That is a realistic possibility, now that they are entering the "specialty" camera sales area, at least more and more than they were.

D800E and Df, both represent steps on that direction.

A few street shots in Los Angeles with the Df and 58/1.4g.
Also, sorry I moved some files around and broke the link to an earlier post.
Don't know if it is fixable so I added them below.
Hope you don't mind.

Last edited:

docmoore

Don,

I am glad that you sorted the RAW issue ... it is a better way to view files and work with them if you have the skill set and the time.

I dropped my H3D 39 II and Leica S cameras due to time constraints and a shift in shooting priorities. Miss part of the subtlety of the files and the resolution but am pleased with my current camera lineup...

The camera you are describing is the Monochrom...and it does work wonderfully.

I have turned the review function off on the Df and will do a manual review if lighting changes a lot to ensure I am not blowing highlights but in essence ignore the blinking screen on the back...AF is relegated to the AF button not the shutter release so it is in effect a manual focus camera with an assist...or to quickly get me in the ballpark.

I do think these files will be great for BW/Platinum in many instances so we are really not that far from your desire...just set the dials and ignore the rest...almost. Finding those AF lenses with a decent MF feel to the focus ring requires a bit of work at this point but well worth the effort. The ZF.2 lenses are superb with regards to construction and feel...many of them outstanding optically.

I am so pleased they still have a smaller body with a fairly decent optical VF...in spite of the limitation of no substitute screens.

Bob

docmoore

A few street shots in Los Angeles with the Df and 58/1.4g.

Joe

This picture is disturbing in that the foreground right-sided face of the woman is overlapped by a bright element seemingly from the side of the man with the dream team shirt.

Any clues as to cause?

Bob

jonoslack

Joe

This picture is disturbing in that the foreground right-sided face of the woman is overlapped by a bright element seemingly from the side of the man with the dream team shirt.

Any clues as to cause?

Bob
PP mistake surely!
Bob, I'm still not sure about the yellows. They look scarily like those I objected to so much in the D700
The sensible side of me tells me to wait until there is Aperture support (my poison) and try before I buy!

All the best

Joe

Any clues as to cause?

Bob
No clue. Shows up in the raw file. Of course exif has been modified for lightroom so who knows? Bizarro.

DDudenbostel

Nikon made / makes an dntire line of MF lenses. Not certain if they are currently in production but B&H has a nice lineup of brand new in the box MF lenses. My wife ordered a new 50 1.2 for me for Christmas. With a few revisions they could make improvements for the high res sensors.

docmoore

Nikon made / makes an dntire line of MF lenses. Not certain if they are currently in production but B&H has a nice lineup of brand new in the box MF lenses. My wife ordered a new 50 1.2 for me for Christmas. With a few revisions they could make improvements for the high res sensors.
That is where it went!

I had my eye on it for a few weeks....

Congratulations.

Bob

docmoore

Bob, I'm still not sure about the yellows. They look scarily like those I objected to so much in the D700
The sensible side of me tells me to wait until there is Aperture support (my poison) and try before I buy!

All the best
I agree that Aperture support and how it deals with those will be important.
I cannot say about them as I have had the camera for such a short time. It will work for me as the amount seems relatively easy to fix in PP.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No clue. Shows up in the raw file. Of course exif has been modified for lightroom so who knows? Bizarro.
It's a pretty standard effect of spherical aberrations --- the foreground oof area fringes and blurs out over some of the the PoF areas.

DDudenbostel

Bob, sorry about that. Looks like they have them on order though which implies either Nikon has a stash or they are still in production.

Shashin

Joe

Any clues as to cause?

Bob
It is most likely caused by a combination of a really wide aperture/entrance pupil, objects away from the object plane, and the emphasized by processing by applying contrast.

DDudenbostel

There have been a lot of comments about how good the ZF lenses are. My needs are a bit different than many on the forum as I do commercial and documentary work, My documentary work is often under terrible lighting which demands good performance at maximum aperture. When I purchased the D800 I bought a 25 f2, 35 f2 and 100 f2 ZF set. I wound up sending them back seriously disappointed. Stopped down to f8 they were good but anyone cam make a lens that produces good images at f8. I need fast glass and f8 won't do it. I wound up sending it back to B&H and bought a Leica M9. I already had current glass, 25 Elmar, 35 Summlux FLE, 50 Asph Summilux, 75 Summilux and 90 apo asph Summicron. The Leica glass performed amazingly well wide open but have spent nearly a year getting my new M9 straightened out. In the end most of the lenses had to go to Leica for shimming and calibration and my 90 is back again. The M9 had to have a new sensor, mother board and one other board. Sad for a new camera and three new lenses. Anyway I think the M9 will be a great camera for my work but the DF will be a great addition too. It has such spectacular high ISO so all I need to do is put together a few good fast lenses and I'm in business.

I do some hard core work, see attached.