The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

ryc

There have been a lot of comments about how good the ZF lenses are. My needs are a bit different than many on the forum as I do commercial and documentary work, My documentary work is often under terrible lighting which demands good performance at maximum aperture. When I purchased the D800 I bought a 25 f2, 35 f2 and 100 f2 ZF set. I wound up sending them back seriously disappointed. Stopped down to f8 they were good but anyone cam make a lens that produces good images at f8. I need fast glass and f8 won't do it. I wound up sending it back to B&H and bought a Leica M9. I already had current glass, 25 Elmar, 35 Summlux FLE, 50 Asph Summilux, 75 Summilux and 90 apo asph Summicron. The Leica glass performed amazingly well wide open but have spent nearly a year getting my new M9 straightened out. In the end most of the lenses had to go to Leica for shimming and calibration and my 90 is back again. The M9 had to have a new sensor, mother board and one other board. Sad for a new camera and three new lenses. Anyway I think the M9 will be a great camera for my work but the DF will be a great addition too. It has such spectacular high ISO so all I need to do is put together a few good fast lenses and I'm in business.

I do some hard core work, see attached.
Yes, the Leica glass is amazing but so it the Zeiss. I found the hard way that the D800 and manual focus was very unforgiving. I ended up with a D4 and kept all my Zeiss glass. They perform very well and focus is tac sharp. Personally, I find the only advantage of the M is in size. I have had many M's and Leica glass and found that they needed service quite regularly. The slightest bump to the camera would throw the RF off. In the end, I am 100% SLR now and have never looked back.

Your street work is impressive.With the exception of a few AF shoes most everything is manual focus Zeiss or Nikon glass.

zeissimages.com - The photo gallery.

and this is nothing but the 50mm 1.2

nikonimages.com - The photo gallery.

DDudenbostel

Very nice work. I have new G glass for the D800, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 VRII, 85, 85 TS and 24 TS. I want a couple of good prime wides in manual focus. I've read the 28 f2 is good and the 2.8 AIS. Again I want very good wide open performance. I had one of the new 28 1.8G lenses and didn't like the construction or the feel of manual focus. Optically it was very good but manual focus was sloppy. I know the 28 1.4 is superb but it's ridiculous in price but then again so are the Leica lenses.

I've used M's since 1968 and used them heavily for many years. I had very few problems with cameras and lenses prior to the 80's and then things changed. Leica just doesn't build equipment like they used to.

Until last year I shot all of the documentary work on B&W film. I carried 3 MP's and lenses and sometimes a ZM body. I purchased a new MP and within a year the shutter went out. I had three lenses that were disasters as well. I've used Nikon film cameras about that long too and never had any major problems. The biggest problem with my nikons was an F2 motor that had a rewind gear go out. I can't tell you how many thousand rolls had been through that camera. Matter of fact I still have one of the bodies and it's still going strong.

I still like RF cameras and there's a use for them in my work but I'm a huge fan of the Nikon cameras too. Actually if I could only have one body it would be the D800 and the lineup of glass I have.

Love seeing your 50 1.2 images. I purchased one from KEH and returned it after testing it. it was in rougher shape than they rated it and I decided to prompt my wife into getting me a new one. I was quite impressed with it n the D800 and know it will be great on the DF.

I'm thinking my DF kit should include a 28 but prefer the 24 but it's not that good (have one) and a 35mm. I haven't tried a 30 f2 AIS yet but will do so. I've owned them and the 1.4 in the film days but never tried one on digital. I have an old 2.8 pre AI that actually is pretty good wide open but would like a faster one. I'll have the 50 1.2 and may pick up an 85 1.4 and a 180 2.8. I had the 180 2.8 and loved it in the film days. I also have a first generation 105 2.5 Sonnar type Nikkor Pre AI that's very good and purchased a 105 micro that is killer wide open on the D800.

gniquil

Is there a quick way to set auto ISO?

Often times I find the manual mode being a bit of overkill to set iso/speed/aperture, but nevertheless I still would like to set my aperture and shutter speed (which determines the look of the picture). With such an awesome sensor and accurate metering, I would like to just let the camera decide for me on the ISO. Flipping through the menu I found the AUTO ISO setting. But this is a bit unwieldy. I would love to map it to one of the function buttons. Anyone knows how to do it? Or pointers?

Aside from the question, I would also like to say a few words about the DF. Thanks to this thread and all the amazing images here, I just returned my omd em1 for the df, and am now extremely happy. Here's why.

The images out of the omd just didn't have that magic that inspired those little goosebumps like when I first loaded my M9 images into lightroom or seeing the prints from my M6/portra 400. With the DF, goosebumps all over again.

I am not sure why but perhaps it is the depth of field. M43 cameras have a very different depth of field. Yes I know the conversion; but seeing is believing. To me a F2.8(+-) in full frame with a 50mm or 35mm (even 28mm), with the subject about 2-5 meters provides just enough bokeh that isolates the subject, but not enough to obscure context too much. It's gorgeous. (Personally I am a big bokeh hater and am convinced bokeh is invented by lens manufacturers to sell us expensive gears). M43 F2.8 on the other hand is completely different. This difference somehow is just big enough to make isolating human beings difficult. Hence here's my theory on the M43 sample images online (flickr or reviews): whenever one wants to demonstrate bokeh with M43, one always shows shots of small objects like flowers, shoes, or little insects but never people. So in some way, to me, full frame is a very "human" format.

The second thing about M43 is this lack of richness in rendering. (The following is very subjective.) I can't pinpoint it exactly what it is but sharp and well exposed M43 images always give me a gritty feeling, similar to eating spinach. The images that come out of my old M9 and the new DF however have a certain richness like really well prepared foie gras pate. It's smooth, oily and flavorful. And as an aside, I would say the images coming out of the Leica M240 or my dad's Canon 5D2 are smooth but a bit watery and bland (but some post processing are generally enough to bring the richness back).

Finally, for the controls, many online complained about the ergonomics and the dials. I think it's actually quite alright. Every camera needs a bit of getting used to. My M6 has a tiny speed dial in full stops, which render the shutter speed neither precise nor adjustable while holding to the eye. But one can easily work around it. As far as my experience goes, there is really nothing fundamentally flawed about the DF. It feels immediate and very customizable (aside from my question). And a full 28/50/85 1.8 kit costs just slightly more than my freaking Leica 50lux, what's not to like?

Back to my question, anyone?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Is there a quick way to set auto ISO?

SNIP

Back to my question, anyone?
Yes. It's a main menu item where you can choose your maximum ISO value, then additionally assign a minimum auto shutter speed, or speed based on 1/focal length of lens mounted to plus or minus 2 stops. You choose the base ISO from the external ISO wheel.

gniquil

Found it. I assigned it to the front preview button + dial, and preview to fn button. Knowing it can be done I guess is half way.

Oren Grad

Nikon made / makes an dntire line of MF lenses. Not certain if they are currently in production but B&H has a nice lineup of brand new in the box MF lenses.
The MF lenses that are still current are:

20/2.8 AIS
24/2.8 AIS
24/3.5 PC-E
28/2.8 AIS
35/1.4 AIS
45/2.8 PC-E
50/1.2 AIS
50/1.4 AIS
55/2.8 Micro AIS
85/2.8 PC-E
105/2.8 Micro AIS

FXフォーマット用レンズ - FX Manual Focus Lenses

Add me to the petition for a dedicated monochrome camera that's less finicky and more affordable than the MM!

biglouis

segedi

Really, really need to sell some things.... this camera and all these image samples are really making it hard to resist.

Thorkil

... and as per usual DPreview have tried their very best to extinguish all interest in this camera by a collection of lack-lustre and on occasion outrageously ludicrous photographs. Why on earth do manufacturers continue to let these bozos exhibit their kit?

Just my two cents

LouisB

PS Joe Marquez has already sold me on the camera in a way DPreview never could.
Louis, I was not looking at the Pictures to get an artistic experience, for that purpose I look other Places...just looking for how that camera render....take a look at that Little green scooter...its in fact very 3-dimensional articulated, and another thing, that 24-85 isn't that bad on a Df.
just that.
thorkil

V

Vivek

... and as per usual DPreview have tried their very best to extinguish all interest in this camera by a collection of lack-lustre and on occasion outrageously ludicrous photographs. Why on earth do manufacturers continue to let these bozos exhibit their kit?

Just my two cents

LouisB

PS Joe Marquez has already sold me on the camera in a way DPreview never could.
Bob and Joe impressed me with their offerings. As for the dp revs, whatever is a volume seller on Amaxon (their owners) will be given a platinum rating. Not worth the bother.

Glad you are enjoying the Df images. I too enjoy Bob's lovely work with the Df. Here are a few shots in low light with the 24/1.4g. Downtown Los Angeles at the Biltmore. All handheld, underexposed and pushed in post with a little clarity and noise reduction added (about 10 to 20). Here you go:

f/5 @ 24 mm, 1/40, ISO 1600

f/4 @ 24 mm, 1/80, ISO 3200

f/2.8 @ 24 mm, 1/80, ISO 3200

f/2 @ 24 mm, 1/80, ISO 6400 (focus on wall)

f/3.5 @ 24 mm, 1/160, ISO 9000

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Glad you are enjoying the DF images. I too enjoy Bob's lovely work with the Df. Here are a few shots in low light with the 24/1.4g. Downtown Los Angeles at the Biltmore.

Joe,

You are killing me...love the pictures...we are digging out of a major ice storm and I have not had time to even look at the camera.

Is Checkers still across the street from the Biltmore? There are some unbelievable views from the roof and as I recall the bar/lounge was fabulous.

Do you prefer the 24 1.4 to the 12-24 zoom and the 21 ZF.2?

Regards,

Bob

Hey Bob, Sorry about the snowstorms. If you think I am killing you now, wait til I post some bikini beach shots back in Hawaii. Not sure about Checkers, but I do believe it is there. My wife and I stayed at the Doubletree Hilton near Little Tokyo and one evening walked over to Pershing Square (ice skating) and stepped inside the Biltmore where I took these shots. Never made it to the roof. I enjoy the view from the Standard Hotel but didn't make it this time.

I don't have the 12-24 or the Zeiss. I do have the 14-24 which I adore. I think the 14-24 and D800 are a great match, but I have not tried it with the Df. So far, I've only been shooting with the 24g and 58g. Fits snugly in my small leather camera bag and makes for a nice lightweight one two punch.

Hope it warms up for you soon.
Joe

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Joe,

14-24 is the lens I meant...have been away from Nikon too long it seems. A big lens and the 24 looks to cover the WA wonderfully for the Df.

At this point the Doubletree Hilton would be much more my style that the Checkers bit...but it does have a nice lounge.

And those Hawaii shots...I prefer the locals and your shots of the skydivers(?) and surfers. Have you done any work near the observatory on Mauna Kea? I imagine it has unbelievable views of the terrain in addition to those of the universe.

Df really does punch above its entry level price in my opinion...need more time to work with it so that it is a bit more transparent in use.

Regards,

Bob

D&A

Hey with all the ice snow and cold we're having...what's wrong with some bikini shots to warm us up. Doesn't really matter who's wearing them...As long as we see warmth :).

Joe, Bob and others posting shots from the Df...Thank you. Great shots all around and greatly appreciated.

Will try to take the Df to the beach to get some warm weather shots later this week.
In the meantime here's something from Venice Beach this past weekend.
Actually, a little cool in LA, as you can tell from her mix and match outfit.
The body builder took of his sweats for this shot.
And Santa's helpers seemed comfortably warm in their little outfits.
Enjoy and stay warm.

Df and 58g

Df and 58g

Df and 24g

Joe,

14-24 is the lens I meant...have been away from Nikon too long it seems. A big lens and the 24 looks to cover the WA wonderfully for the Df.

At this point the Doubletree Hilton would be much more my style that the Checkers bit...but it does have a nice lounge.

And those Hawaii shots...I prefer the locals and your shots of the skydivers(?) and surfers. Have you done any work near the observatory on Mauna Kea? I imagine it has unbelievable views of the terrain in addition to those of the universe.

Df really does punch above its entry level price in my opinion...need more time to work with it so that it is a bit more transparent in use.

Regards,

Bob
Got it Bob. The 24 is my go-to small WA. I did some surf shooting years ago, but not too much recently. Some nice sets expected this weekend so maybe. Haven't shot at Mauna Kea, but I have some friends who've done amazing work there. I go through periods where I go off island to shoot. Usually with a new lens or camera. So much to shoot in Hawaii, but never enough time.