The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here are a few shots from the Df at 1600 ISO equivalent...NX2-->LR/PS.

Nikon Df Nikon 105 F2 DC

Soliloquy

Decoys on Glass

Candlesticks

Thanks,

Bob

JohnBrew

Bob, really like "Lightshow". Truly, it's the photographer, not the equipment, but I'll probably rent this body at some point to check into that "magic"..

M

mjr

I agree with John, no doubt the sensor is great but these shots are down to your skills Bob, fantastic!

Mat

docmoore

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Some cameras let you see and respond/interact with subject and light better than others...this one does it very well. After a number of small cameras with big lenses I have returned to a medium body with good OVF that I can see with my corrective lenses without much difficulty.

Now I am reexploring glass for the Nikon mount...ZF.2s but also those less than perfect lenses that show a bit of character....

Bob

Last edited:

biglouis

Interesting. I can't see any of Bob's (docmoore) photographs. I looked using both Chrome and IE and both browsers show the titles, some space and nothing else.

LouisB

docmoore

My bad Louis,

I tend to move things out fairly quickly...have not had much light worth exploring as we dug out from a major ice storm last week.

Bob

bradhusick

There's no doubt the sensor in the Df is great. I have a D4 and love it.

I went to my local dealer and played with the silver Df for a few minutes. The knobs felt plastic and cheap. The lockout on the exposure comp knob gets in the way of usability. The body is thick and the grip is small. Nope, not for me. IMHO.

biglouis

My bad Louis,

I tend to move things out fairly quickly...have not had much light worth exploring as we dug out from a major ice storm last week.

Bob
Bob

Thanks for letting me know. I actually thought it must be a problem with my PC. Good luck with the Df - the results I have seen so far look superb.

LouisB

docmoore

Walkabout today....

Couple from the Df and 58 1.4 All at F 4.0 as light was fairly intense and needed to stay under 1/4000.

Nikon Df Nikon 58 1.4

Color on Fence

Fence Posts Down

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

A few winter scenes with the Df....

Nikon Df and Zeiss 50 F 2 ZF.2

Downed Tree at Lake

Winter Tree and Creek

Shoreline and Tree Stumps

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Same theme.....

Nikon Df Zeiss 50 F 2 ZF.2

Old Oaks in Winter Detail

Looking For a Game

Tree and Lichen

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

It is a polarizing camera ... some things great some less so.

I think many of us have set our expectations way too high for cameras and in that we tend to remember our past flawed cameras (F3HP etc) with pleasant nostalgic feelings the bar is indeed very high.

Ming's comments about less than robust build quality really do touch an area of concern...comparing a D800 D4 to the Df shows it in a somewhat unfavorable light. As I tend not to drive nails with mine ... I have hopes it will survive for the short period of time until the next great thing appears.

Personal comfort with a camera is very important...if it did not work there are others that probably will.

I do believe that the optical viewfinder could have been a bit better...with replaceable screen.

Forget the retro...marketing attracted too much attention to this aspect of a very good moderately priced camera. It was not meant to appeal to everyone.

TO ME Image quality is as good as I want to make it...the right technique, glass and light and it sings.

Not a lot of love for this as the A7(r)s have captured everyone's imagination...whether they are best served by them is a call they will need to make.

Regards,

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree re Df robustness (if that's a word) being somewhat on the marginal side. But I bought it for the D4 sensor in a lighter weight package -- I don't have much interest in schlepping a D4 on a typical travel trip. For me, I've set it up to function like my D800's, so the dials and lockouts are non issues. So I net it down to this:

It's a great low-light walk-around/travel/street camera that also has a somewhat cool, retro look that may appeal to some.

D&A

The camera was bound to be polarizing. Some wanted a true retro DLSR with possibly no rear LCD, no live view and as close to emulating past favorite Nikon film SLR's, complete with interchangeable focusing screens. Others wanted a robustly built modern day albeit smaller DSLR with the D4 sensor in a smaller package such as the D700 was to the Nikon D3....with none of the retro controls nor possibly it's current look.

I felt for quite some time Nikon had been contemplating dipping it's food into the growing pseudo rangefinder interchangeable market ala mirrorless cameras incorporating a full frame 35mm sensor but with a new dedicated lens mount and dedicated line of lenses.

I believe they felt this and similar segments of the market was getting crowded so therefore decided to make a single model full frame DSLR that used their current F mount lenses and instead compromised on being both retro and modern to appeal to as wide a segment of the market as possible without as big a financial commitment as they otherwise might have needed to make by following any other route.

The Df ended up sort of being a jack of all trades and master of none in certain regards. If taken on it's own and nothing more, its a very capable camera with all sorts of areas/features people wish they had done differently. If compared to other Nikon cameras both past and present, many will find too many faults to consider purchasing, not to mention it's current price point.

Just some personal thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: