The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

Tim Ernst

Thanks - I'm not good at reading manuals, but will go have a look! That would make me sleep a lot better once I come in out of the cold...

D&A

Tim

You should see the ISO display in the VF at the bottom right - at least while you turn or adjust ISO or other exposure values. Obviously you can also display it on the rear LCD too with the info mode selected.

Btw, if you check option d3 and you should have the ISO value displayed instead of the exposure remaining count.
Graham is right! You can set it to show ISO on the bottom right of the Df viewfinder and if I recall correctly (don't have camera in hand at the moment), see the remaining # of frames instead of ISO when you half press the shutter button.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I know this sounds a bit looney, but pre-chill the camera (not the batteries) in a ziplock bag in your freezer. The colder the sensor, the lower the noise.

Just look at my aurora photo in the gallery and you'll see a 25 second exposure taken at -9 degrees F. Keep the batteries in your pocket until you need them.

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/4/3/2a5w0815_fix.jpg
Exactly Brad! I used to stay outside in the cold with past DSLR's prior to shooting Eclipses of the Moon, meteor showers, star trails etc. It does make a noticeable difference.

Very nice image by the way!

Dave (D&A)

Tim Ernst

I agree about a cold sensor - the wind chill was down near zero F. while I was doing this test last night so I think we had that one covered. I once did an 8-hour single exposure star trail photo (ISO 200) with a Nikon Ds in 15 degree temp and the image was virtually noise-free. I often am out shooting for 6-8 hours at night here in the warm temps of Arkansas summers and will often duck tape a cold pack to the back of the camera to help keep the sensor cool.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here are a few low ISO daylight captures with the Df.....

Nikon Df Nikon 58 F 1.4

Old Train House Porch

Old Train House Entrance

Old Train House Well and Pulley

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Same setting ... some plantings around the structure.

Nikon Df Nikon 58 F 1.4

Old Train House Rose Gone Bye

Old Train House Caboose

Old Train House Tree #5

Old Train House Tree #7

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

A few native grasses around the structure.....

Nikon Df Nikon 58 F 1.4

Old Train House Grass #1

Old Train House Grass #3

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Working with a few older captures from the Df...

Nikon Df

Sewer Color

Beyond the Tree

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

A few more...

Nikon Df Zeiss 50 F 2 ZF.2

Fence Post and Tree Stump

Distant Tree and Stump

Distant Tree and Barns

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Here are a few pics from the Df....kind of slow on this side of the new Sony site....:ROTFL:

Nikon Df

Yaupon Holly

Open Gate

Hawk in Flight (100% Crop)

Wishin' I Were Fishin'

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Here are a few with the Df...

Nikon Df Nikon 50 1.8 Kit Lens

Tree Fronts Silos 03

Rail Car Wheels in Yard 03

Treasures in the Yard

Thanks,

Bob

kuau

Workshop Member
Can anyone speak to the Live View implementation? How does it compare to the D800?
Basically what I am interested in is what happens when you zoom in for critical manual focus? Does LV get all grainy i.e like the D800?

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
My Df live view is much lower noise when zoomed in than my D800. It's very good.
I ended up renting the DF and the Nikon 45mm PCE lens for a few days.
Wow, what a nice camera and yes the Live View did work better then my D800

Now if I only had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to purchase one.
16MP FF for sure has a really nice look to it.

Kyndel

Have you tried with noise reduction set to on with the D800E? I do quite a bit of star stuff and if i'm not stacking then there's no problem with the second dark exposure, it actually does quite a good job. I've found with my Zeiss 21 that I can't do longer than 8 seconds without getting star movement, the second 8 second exposure is not a problem for me. The other way is obviously 2 exposures, 1 on the tracking mount for the stars and a second for the foreground at much lower ISO and blend them.

This might sound strange but I have a Sony RX1 which is unbelievable at night, I get cleaner files from that than the D800 but then it's restricted to the 35mm lens.

Have you got any images to show what you are doing?

Cheers

Mat
I have send You an email