The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df

JPL

Thanks for that.
I just had the Df in my hands, nice body, surprisingly lite, nice shutter sound and perfectly acceptable screen (same as D800?). The grip is just a bit short for my hand...

All the best
JP

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
JUST brought one home...

Retro looked awful in pics...actually not bad in the flesh.

But a D4 sensor in a smaller DSLR with a almost decent optical VF....

Loved the D3, D3s, Canon 1DX but I am very pleased to have a smaller form with a big chip.

My Epson 4900 bit the dust...due to neglect/Texas summer. Will not replace it but will be doing more books and web based photos...16 big fat pixels will work.

Biggest complaint is the marginal battery...in the charger now....new to Nikon of course so when I can find them I will buy a bunch...1100MA what were they thinking.

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
JUST brought one home...

Retro looked awful in pics...actually not bad in the flesh.

But a D4 sensor in a smaller DSLR with a almost decent optical VF....

Loved the D3, D3s, Canon 1DX but I am very pleased to have a smaller form with a big chip.

My Epson 4900 bit the dust...due to neglect/Texas summer. Will not replace it but will be doing more books and web based photos...16 big fat pixels will work.

Biggest complaint is the marginal battery...in the charger now....new to Nikon of course so when I can find them I will buy a bunch...1100MA what were they thinking.

Bob
New electronics is supposed to increase the captures per charge over the larger battery in the D7000/d600/d800. So small battery with lighter weight and yet more captures . Who knows if it will deliver that ?

docmoore

Hope you are right..I ordered another 4 batteries off the bat...they are so small...definitely smaller than a can of Tri-X.

Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I picked mine up today too. I originally ordered the silver body but I swapped to the black once I had a chance to look closely at it. The finish of the black cameras seemed a lot better overall and the chrome controls/silver finish didn't gel with me but work better with the black finish I think.

Reading the manual now... Charging the battery later and hopefully give it a work out at the weekend.

GrahamWelland

Fit and finish seems a lot nicer than the regular robust plastic/magnesium bodies. I would agree with Bob that it looks and feels a LOT better in the flesh than the pictures would lead you to believe.

I know already that my D600 will spending even more time on the shelf or may end up being sold off now. The D800 is a better complement and I'm so pleased that Nikon have not tied the multi-selector to the retouch functions as they did with the D600/610 and other prosumer bodies. That alone makes this the Nikon body I will use a lot more now.

Balance works for me. I have reasonably large hands and so my little finger curls under the body and the grip is adequate although I still prefer the grooved D body grips better.

The only control that seems a bit under sized and lacking feel is the battery/SD card flap release. It's not bad per se but just a bit tiny compared to what I'm used to with film bodies.

Overall the controls seem very nicely firm and weighted for me. Some my find them a little stiff and I don't know if they'll loosen over time but I suspect not. There seem to be some robust bearings under the controls that help with that very positive feel of the rotating controls. I like that.

GrahamWelland

:ROTFL: well yes, perhaps I should have made the comparison to a baseplate release as on a Leica or other bottom plate cameras. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I must admit though, that two of my film cameras, the GX680 III and the F6, can record EXIF data on the film. With the F6, it's even possible to download it to a CF card with an external card reader. If it had been launched today, I'm sure it would have featured an SD slot :)

Thorkil

its sounding good! And some Pictures soon would be nice, and maybe compared to a D600/610...could be very nice (also in 50% and 100%?)...only if it should come that way :)..and just to have a look of the quality-difference feeling
thorkil

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hope you are right..I ordered another 4 batteries off the bat...they are so small...definitely smaller than a can of Tri-X.

Bob

:eek: it is said to take ~ 1400 captures per charge, so maybe you can do with just one spare battery, just a thought ?

docmoore

:eek: it is said to take ~ 1400 captures per charge, so maybe you can do with just one spare battery, just a thought ?
And my car is supposed to get 25MPG....

I have a strong distrust of numbers that are used to sell a camera but will be very pleased if this is the case. Still like to have a number of batteries available if I am away from the grid.

As I do not chimp much with these cameras due to the optical VF it may be good for that.

Bob

docmoore

...some Pictures soon would be nice...

Well I have been away from Nikon for a while so no comparisons here but I did get a few pictures this morning.

All RAW into Capture NX2 saved as TIF then roundabout LR/PS for final look and conversion to JPG.

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Mother and Calf

Rail Bridge

Warehouse and Hay Bales

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Nikon Df 50 F1.8 Kit Lens

Train and Distant Silos

Tree and Grain Silos

Rail Tie